Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-22-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with other mooring systems other than mooring whips. I’m looking to put something on my dock, for other boats to tie up to. It can get rough around my dock so simple bumpers won’t work. I don’t prefer the whips because the lines/poles seem to always get snagged by the tower. I’ve looked at the “shock absorber” type of systems but wanted some input on experiences with them?

www.moor-king.com
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-22-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
by far the best ones on the market are the ones by http://www.dockedge.com

I have them are they are awesome, roler on the end for the rope, easy to setup and they last.

Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-22-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Greg have you had other mooring whips to compare to? Why do you think the dockedge are the best on the market?

I'm looking for alternatie systems to whips.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-22-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
I had wakewatchers before....

These are much better at holding the boat out at a "safe" distance....

Old Wakewatchers would have trouble hold the boat away, so the rub strip on the boat would hit the edge of the dock . This was only on a light 17' Baja sport 170...

Whips were speced out to 2500 lbs... we were even close..

These new Dock Edge whips definetly do the job, nieghbor has then on his 23' Crownline BR that tips the scales at 5000lbs or so... He loves them as well.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-23-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
What size do you have? the 5k lb ones? or the 10k lb ones?
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-23-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
5k ones....
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-23-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
Adam I know I have talked to you about it, but if anyone is looking to buy mooring whips or any other dock or lift products, call my Dad at Tiger Docks. www.tigerdocks.com Tell him you wakeboard and saw this on wakeworld by me and he should hook you up with a discount.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-23-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
Mooring whips are cool.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-23-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
I use the 10K whips and tighten them up pretty good and have never had a problem with them catching my tower. Unlike the picture above I have the rear whip attached to the rear tie down and the fron whip attached to a rope off my bow eye. On the same dock is a lift attached to the dock with a similar device as the Moor-King, personally I would choose the whips. Also the 10K keep the boat farther away from the dock
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-23-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
I've had good luck with mooring arms.

http://www.boatownersworld.com/shm/mooring_system.htm

And they are less obtrusive than the whips.

Upload
Old     (tory1340)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
I prefer my U shape dock!

Stern lines cross to opposite dock posts, spring lines to hold the platform off the dock and a line across the bow with a snap hook to the bow eye. Avoids whips... on the boat...

Anything to avoid toe stubbers on the dock.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-23-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
are they more difficult to use when docking do you think? The whips get caught in the tower when you drive up, but those look like it may be a little bit of work to hook it down to the bow eye. I like the concept as an alternative though
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-23-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
The mooring arms are slick . . . first of all, I now moore the boat bow out. With the boat along the dock, I swing the bow arm in and make the connection, then, I grab the rear arm and make its connection . . . no adjustment necessary. The boat drifts away from the dock, when you make the rear connection. One of the major things I like, is that you can swing them up on the dock or drop them straight down in the water, when not in use . . . so they are out of the way.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-23-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
When I tie my boat up to my buddy's dock for the weekend, I just throw an anchor out away from the dock and tie that up to my ski pylon (I have a DD)

Have never had the boat hit the dock, even in inclement weather.