Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-04-2011, 7:54 PM Reply   
I just received my bennett trim tab kit for my '05 Sanger v215 and had a question for other owners with who also have the trim tab. Where is your HPU (hydraulic power unit) mounted??? I am ready to install the kit but picking a location for the HPU is the only thing I am unsure of. Was hoping to start the install on Sunday but may have to wait till Monday and give Sanger another call.

A picture of the HPU mounted would be a bonus!!!

I plan on doing a full picture How To to post here as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-04-2011, 11:53 PM Reply   
I installed mine on the side of one of the vertical hull braces behind the side panels amidships. I don't have a picture, sorry. You want to be able to access it very occasionally to check fluid level so find a spot you could reach if you need to add fluid and see it. Try the starboard side ahead of the storage locker. Mine's a D215 so the braces are the same but the access is way different.
I put the trim switch and gauge on the gunnel panel above and ahead of the throttle so they are easy to adjust with the throttle hand. There is lots of length in the wiring and the hydraulic tubing. I did all the installation ahead of mounting the plate to keep the boat operable.
Do you have the barefoot plate on now or is this the first installation?
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-05-2011, 12:35 AM Reply   
I just installed mine a few weeks ago on a 06 V215.
I had a piece of 5mm 75 x 75mm aluminum approx 120mm long.
I mounted the mounting bracket for the master unit to the angle. I marked & drilled 2 of the bolts that hold the swim platform to the hull into the angle.
The master unit sits on the rise of the transom (starboard side) where the swim platform brackets bolt through.
Its out of the way easily accessable and the cover board in the locker keeps it hidden & protected. I'll get a pic tomorrow for you.
I also used the horn button for the rocker switch as I didn't want to chop into the hull side. Gauge is in the left hand blank gauge space.

Last edited by repo; 02-05-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-05-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
Thanks guys!!!

Art, I have the stock fixed plate on there right now.

Ian, I thought about using the horn button as well or ordering another horn button so the trim switch would match. But I thought I remember seeing that the horn button switch is only rated for 15 amps and the HPU draws 18 amps. I wasn't sure if the 3 amp difference would be a problem. I found another switch that I think I'm going to use as i don't like the one that comes withthe kit.

Here's a link to the switch I want to use
http://greatlakesskipper.com/product...er-switch.html
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-05-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
You guys think the upgrade was worth it?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-05-2011, 4:11 PM Reply   
Absolutely it was worth it..

When you drill the new holes to put screws in for the Bennett plate make sure you don't go too small on the drill size. Fibreglass is really tough and the screws can break when you put them in if you are too tight on the drill size.
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-06-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up Art. I actually have read over one of your old post about your install a few times where you mentioned breaking the srews.

I've got off the factory fixed plate and now I trying to decide how I want to fill the old holes. Not sure if it's worth filling with some fiberglass/resin/gelcoat or just using some 5200 in there.

Art, what did you use to fill the old holes??? And were you able to totally flush up the hinge plate to the hull. It seems that there is about a 1/4 inch gap on each end because of the roundness of the hull. I'm not sure if tightening the hinge plate down to where it would conform to the hull would affect the function of the trim tab.

Any other insight is greatly appreciated. Hopefully have this somewhat wrapped up in a week or 2. Still waiting on a couple parts I ordered.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-06-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
I tightened mine down as close as I could. It's surprising the hull has a slight convex there, as you'd think it would be flat. It did not affect my hinge action but I could not get it tight to the outside edge.
I sealed around the new holes and the old holes at the plate with 3M 5200. If all structural pieces break i'll still have the plate glued on to the boat.
I think I was pretty lazy in filling the holes in the hull. On my boat it's a little awkward getting to them from the inside. If I remember right I filled the old holes with 5200 and pushed a bolt in to fill the space with something solid. If I had sealed the outside well there would be no water there anyway.
Anyway, no leaks at all after three seasons.

The picture has the shadows lightened to give as much detail as I could.
Attached Images

Old     (no_really)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-06-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for the information all. It would be nice to see the wave with and without the tab dialed in. Any chances of that?
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-06-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
Thanks Art!

Didn't have as much time to work on the boat as I hoped I would today, but got a good start. Decided I was just going to go the route of just using some 5200 to fill the old holes and seal the new plate on.

I think I got everything all planned out now. Just waiting on my new rocker switch and need to make a run by my local West Marine in the morning for some 5200 and silicone.

I'm taking lots of pics to put together the "How To" when I'm done.
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-07-2011, 1:11 AM Reply   
Here you go pics as promised. This is mounted on the starboard side at the junction in the transon where it steps out to accomodate the swim platform. The bracket I have (yes I know my mounting screws are to long, I'll get to them one day) mounted to the backing plate of the swim step bracket. Its a dry location & out of harms way. Its also a 1 min job to pull it out for any maint'.
Attached Images

Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-07-2011, 5:40 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pictures Ian!!

That seems like a pretty ideal place to mount the HPU, but I think it would pose a problem for me. I removed my factory hard tanks to run the Fly High 1100 lb fat sacs and I think the sacs expand into that area quite a bit. I think I'm going to mount the HPU in the engine compartment mounted to the back of the rear seat.

Actaully, I just found a couple pictures on boat trader with the HPU mounted to back or the rear seat. Here's the pics from boat trader.
Attached Images