Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (michelelef)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-15-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
Definitely like $1400 better than $2800!! Thanks for clearing that up...

As far as this weekend....Justin and I have a mini-trip to JFBB and Blue Mt. (since we have a lovely 3 day weekend). But next weekend would work for us both. How is that for everyone else? And the location, Kat-man-du, is fine for us.

And I have no comment on the Daytona 500?? That's some sort of race or something, right??

JB, wish you the best of luck tomorrow!
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-15-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
Jeff, we got 12" out of it. I would have liked 22 or even more. I hate winter but if it's gonna snow then it might as well be a big one. There is a chance of another storm on Tuesday. If its a good one I'll build a ramp and find someone to film me being drug around behind the truck.

Ditto what Dave said. I forgot about that weasel Kurt Bush. He needs his a$$ beat bad.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-16-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
Michele & Justin,

Ok, maybe we should try for next weekend to get together and hash things out. What's better for everyone, sat. or sun? Alex, Doreen, KG and Karen should all try to make it.
Justin, congrats on the new job/promotion.....awesome! We'll have to meet-up in Princeton for lunch sometime! If you see a Dietz & Watson truck in town, that's me :-)
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-16-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
KG check this slider/ ramp out.http://www.wakeboardnebraska.com/slider/index.htm
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-17-2006, 5:26 AM Reply   
Jim,

I like that idea for a slider! I'm sure a crappy old hull could be purchased from a boat dealer pretty cheap. Hell, I bet we could find one in someone's yard that they'd be happy to give away. I'll keep my eye out for an opotunity to get a little beater boat like the one pictured.

Michelle and justin, have fun boarding this weekend. Hopefully you'll get some good snow. I was looking back at some of your earlier posts, and I read one that referred to the snow cover being "skiied off" by a certain time of day. While I didn't think much of it then, I certainly realize what that means now: it means be careful- the ice could bust you up!

And according to the doctor, the June 3rd wakeboarder summit might be my first chance to ride. It doesn't look like it's going to happen any sooner than that. I can't tell you how much this broken collarbone is altering my lifestyle! Although I have started playing poker a lot more.... I need something involving risk!
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
Yo that slider idea is great! you could do a lot with that too. Slider, Funbox, Kicker... got lot of possibilities!

I still wanna work the barrel Idea as well, maybe that could be the first mini-kicker built and we expand from there!

Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-17-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
Ok, first: a houseboat gathering next Saturday can work for Doreen & I. Connor will be wih us. Trenton, however,
is a bit of a haul from Manahawkin. Is there anything a pinch more cental? Like maybe Allentown, NJ?
There are a couple places in Allentown, The Black Forest (German food)and La Piazza (brick oven pizza) and the
Cream Ridge Winery is right down the road. Allentown's a nice little historic town with a bunch of little
shops. The girls will love it! But it's only a suggestion. We have about a week to iron-out the details.

Shana, a friend of mine at Island Surf & Sail just had a baby! Once I get all the details I'm thinking it
would be cool if we sort of bombard her with wakeboarding congratulations and best wishes emails.
I think this would really make her happy. I'll pass along the details soon.

All these slider concepts are really cool, but once you build such a thing where do you keep it?
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-17-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
KG, remember Alex's 19' Sport-Craft Sea Eagle, circa 1971 thats in his yard? Imagine the kicker we could build using that baby

"All these slider concepts are really cool, but once you build such a thing where do you keep it?"

We haven't quite figured that out yet. But we will when the time comes.

I say camo net and drag it up onto the marsh land.

Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
...I was just thinking about Alex's boat tonight!

Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-18-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
KG, I wonder if this would pull a person across shallow water? After seeing that video I what to ride some puddles. I saw the perfect retention pond for it. http://www.madsens1.com/capstan.htm
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-18-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
Justin, I'm going snowboarding next weekend and I was wondering if you had a few basic pointers for my first time. As far as stance and how to stop and edge.

Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-18-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
Kneepads, Helmet. Pony slopes...At your age and mine alike, you can't afford to f**...up your spring riding season which is just weeks?? away!
Trust me, don't mess with hard lands, ice, rocks,trees...Your just weeks away from getting into the water.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-18-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
You thought it was bad after riding the first day of the season (water), If you've never hit the slopes you might as well take the next day off of work and heavily medicate!!!
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-18-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
Ya, don't forget!
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-19-2006, 4:14 AM Reply   
Jeff I know what you mean but I have to try snowboarding once before I get to much older. If I don't I'll never forgive myself. I can feel the sore muscles now.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-20-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
Jim, theres no shame in wearing padded underwear and wrist guards!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-20-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Alex,

Allentown works for me for this saturday. You pick the place and time. Hope everyone else can make it too.

Jim, I tried 2 years ago, wrist guards are a must and a helmet would be a good idea, too.
Old     (michelelef)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-20-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
Allentown is fine for Justin and I this Saturday. Just tell us where and when and we will be there!

Jim, as far as snowboarding goes...from someone who just started this season...it's painful! However, I love it, been a lot already this season. Justin had me going off kickers and riding the box in the park yesterday...
I know..."Huh, huh, she said box"...Justin and KG, I knew that was coming.
Anyway, I'll let Justin get back to you on those pointers. But I will say KG is right...wrist guards and padded pants are a good investment!
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-20-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
Thanks Michele and KG, when you say wrist guards do you mean the ones they sell for like roller blading? I'm already planning on renting the helmet for $10 there cause I have to protect the little bit of brains I have left.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-20-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
The company I work for got a nice write up after W visited HQ. The article touches on some of the coming battery technology.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060220/cgm037.html?.v=41

We finally got to use the Burton Approach after that last snowstorm. It is surprisingly fast, well worth the $50.

Jim, it will work great behind the Bronco, and you can wear Shoes!!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-20-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
Allentown this Saturday sounds good. It's not too far from Pennington, not too far from Pemberton, within a reasonable
distance from Manahawkin, but it's a bit of a drive for KG. Allentown's right off Turnpike exit 7A KG.
Are you up for the haul? I'm thinking we could meet in town by the Feed Company building at noon and decide
were to go from there. But with the participant list pretty solid and the exact weekend already chosen, what's
left to do? Bring deposit money? Or just sort of hang-out, eat and be merry? Any hoo, The Feed building
at noon is my suggestion. Any other ideas and/or suggestions are totally welcome. http://www.allentownnj.com/

For the record, my Sport-Craft C-Eagle has a cuddy cabin, and unless we took a sawsall to it, it wouldn't make
a very good platform for any style slider. Plus, the IT guy at work really wants to buy it.
He just has to convince his wife that she wants it too.

My friend Shana at Island Surf & Sail had a baby boy, Cody Ryan, on January 31, and this next generation LBI
wakeboarder weighed-in at 8lbs 4oz. Shana's been wakeboarding Turtle Cove for years and she's been out with
us on the Super Air are several times. So, if you feel like taking a minute to email her some wakeboarding new
baby congratualtions, I'm sure she'd get a good smile from it! shana@islandsurf-sail.com It would be great
to see Shana and junior out with us this Summer, but the greenehads might carry the little guy away!

Worried about being sore from snowboarding Jim? I'm already doing leg extentions, curls and squats in
preparation for that Springtime first time out. And I agree with Jeffrey. If you snowboard, take it easy. You
don't want to JB yourself with the 2006 wakeboarding season right around the corner.
Ha-ha! Have I just coined a new verb?

Finally (my post are always so long), around a year or so ago the goofs at Alliance Wakeboard built a fun box
and they painted it pink. Thus, there was a multi-page article about how they all took turns
"hitting the pink box."
For a bunch of goofy wakeboarders writing an article, it was pretty clever double entendre.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-20-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
I gotta go to bed, exhausted, but...Excellent post Alex, every bit of it!
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-20-2006, 11:11 PM Reply   
Eustace, I'M LOST. WHAT IS THE Burton Approach ?
ALEX, YOUR IT GUY CALLED ME TODAY AND SAID MAKE A RAMP OUT OF IT
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-21-2006, 4:25 AM Reply   
Jim, if you want to borrow some stuff for snowboarding, I would be happy to let you use my helmet to save you $10 rental fee. I live in Moorestown, so we could meet up somewhere in the next couple days. I also have gloves, pants, goggles as well, so just let me know. I certainly won't be using them anytime soon.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-21-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
Here you go Jim,

Upload
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-21-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff.I have everything except the helmet but I'll just rent that up there. Thankyou for the offer. Hows the shoulder? Any tips for a first timer?

Eustace, Ok now I remember that conversation. So did you pull it or ride down a hill?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-21-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
Alex,

Saturday at noon sounds good to me too. Meet you at the feed building (across from the pond, right?)

Hope to see Justin, Michele, KG and maybe even JB there? This would be a good time to get our deposit together for the houseboat, decide which one we want to rent, etc. I'll try to dig-up a brochure too.
JB, I've never met you, but would like to have you come along with us in August. (I know it depends on your work schedule) Try to come up this saturday if you have time. We'll grab some lunch and a pint!
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-21-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
Wow, I have been very "absent"..Sorry, I just have a lot going on.

Anywho, tips for Jimbo! (Big Boulder has good conditions right now, actually a lot better than Blue, we were there this past Saturday, and Blue on Sunday)

1. Stance, they will set you up at the rental shop. hopefully you know you ride regular just like wakeboarding. They will have the stance all set up.
2. Remember it's all in your hips and legs. Point your front hand in the direction you want to go, and steer with your back leg.
3. Heelside edging, remember to just rock back on the heelside and let the board cut into the snow/ice and again bring that back leg around.
4. Toeside (the always illusive to new boarders)-You want to face the mountain, rock onto your toes and bring that back leg around.
5. Remember to always lean back for heelside, lean forward for toeside, KEEP YOUR KNEES BENT. The lower your center of gravity the better balance you will have.
6. Watch other riders, it is a very easy sport, esp. if you can wakeboard!
7. Keep on the slightly sloped bunny hills till you get the feel, and i mean really get the feel and edging and control down. Then progress to the greens and blues if you feel like it.
8. Obey the Skier's Responsibility Code, remember the person in front of you ALWAYS has the right of way, even if they're taking up the whole damn trail.
9. Have fun, falling comes with the territory. I've been boarding for 13 yrs and I still eat it all the time.

That's about it I believe, Michele did I miss anything that your instructor taught you?

This saturday @ the feed mill is good, 12pm. I know Allentown so I know exactly where that is. Should I bring cash or check? I'm asking because I never have cash so I will need to stop @ bank.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-21-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
Here are a few vid's of last weekends boarding trip. It was sooooo packed @ Blue on Sunday, the lines were about 45 min. long so Michele and I hiked up the Terrain Park all day long and practiced on the features, mostly the flat box.

http://media.putfile.com/justin-ugly-180
http://media.putfile.com/justin-360--CB
http://media.putfile.com/Justin-5050
http://media.putfile.com/Justin-sliding-the-box
http://media.putfile.com/Michele-hitting-the-Box
http://media.putfile.com/Justin-5050-flat

(Message edited by newmy79 on February 21, 2006)
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-21-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
Justin: Thanks for the tips. Very informative.Also very nice videos. I didn't know you were that good. WoW. Also I'm very impressed with Michele's slide. Way to go Michele.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-22-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
Justin,

I would say bring cash ($100) for the deposit.
Anyone else coming out saturday besides Alex and myself? (KG?)
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-22-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Jim, I rode it down a hill in my neighborhood, but after seeing your pics I think it would be good behind a vehicle…
Old     (michelelef)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-22-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
Thanks Jim! You should see the bruises that I have from that day.

Justin, you did a great job with pointers...there is nothing for me to add.

Dave, I don't know if you realized that I will be coming (and bringing my deposit) as well on Saturday. Looking forward to it!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-22-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
Ha-ha! Funny Michele! And I'll be bringing Doreen and Connor too Dave! Is Kyle going?

There's a secret parking area sort of to the right of the feed mill and along the water. We usually park
back there when we go to Allentown. It's better than parking in the street; that's if it's not muddy.

I'm already sort of leaning towards the brick oven pizza place instead of the German food. In all candor,
I really don't know that much about weiner shnitzel. What other food is considered German food anyway??

Believe it or not, I sort of have in my mind to get a new board for this season. I'm thinking of trying something
with 3 stage rocker in hopes of getting more pop off the wake< but I really don't know what to try.
I think a trip to Craig's is in order soon.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-22-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
I'm having a little bad luck. Last night at work I slipped off a platform and twisted my knee bad. Its my left knee which I have had repaired twice already. It's very soar and a little swollen. I'm gonna ice the heck out of it and hope for the best.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2006, 5:22 AM Reply   
That is interesting Alex, I’m switching from 3-statge to continuous (3DS) this season. You can give my 03-Absolute a try before purchase. It is a regular core 140.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your knee Jim. If you're too wrenched-up to go snowboarding this weekend, meet us in
Allentown on Saturday and chew on some pizza.

Thanks for the offer to try your board Brian, but I may end-up buying one before the season even starts.
However, if I don't, I'd definitely be interested in giving it whirl at the June 3rd Delaware River Ripfest.
And if you feel like making the trip from Furlong this Saturday, Allentown, NJ isn't far from Trenton.

You know, this thread is only about two months old and already it's pushing close to two-hundred posts.
And this is the off season!
Old     (gpalovcak)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
Here is something I saw in a forum. NJ Boaters need to be certified now. NOt sure how they are going to enfore it. I am from PA so we are not affected.

N.J. boaters on deck for certification
Law taking effect June 1 will require a safety class
Tuesday, February 14, 2006 BY MARYANN SPOTO Star-Ledger Staff

On most summer Thursday evenings, it's not unusual to find a dozen or so boats anchored in the Metedeconk River in Brick Township, as music lovers come to listen to the free concerts on shore.

But whenever the concerts are followed by fireworks, hundreds of boats converge, many recklessly speeding up and down the river.

"It's like Black Friday at the mall parking lot -- everybody's got boats and they're going fast," U.S. Coast Guard Chief Calvin Jones said, describing summer boating. "There is some courtesy that goes along with being on the water that gets lost in summer."

For the most part, boaters navigating New Jersey waters have never had to take any sort of safety course or demonstrate any knowledge of the rules governing the sea.

That's about to change.

A new law that takes effect in June will require anyone who operates a power vessel to take an eight-hour safety course and pass a test to prove that they know the rules of the water.

Experienced boaters will be given a one-time chance to pass a written test that will exempt them from the course. If they fail, they have to take the course.

Many say that in a state with 220,000 registered recreational boats, the legislation is long overdue.

"It can get pretty hairy out there, especially on the weekends. People just don't understand or don't know the laws regulating the water," said Lt. Doug Kinney, spokesman for the Brick Police Department.

The law, which former Gov. Richard Codey signed last month, staggers compliance over the next three years. Boaters born in 1969 or later will need to be certified first, by June 1.

"We believe that an informed boater -- one who has completed a standardized boating safety class -- is much more likely to be a safe and courteous boater," said Tom Leaming, president of the Marine Trades Association of New Jersey.

Leaming, whose organization helped craft the legislation, said the regulations are among the strongest in the country because they cover a wider variety of vessels and a greater number of people who use them.

New Jersey has always been home to people who made their living on the water, whether they fished, built boats or hunted water fowl. But as more and more people have become recreational boaters, the inevitable clashes -- and crashes -- have increased dramatically, said Jones, of the Coast Guard's Atlantic City station.

"You have a lot of kids on the bow, people cutting each other off, boats running into other boats, and drinking. More people just not operating in a safe manner," he said.

In 1996, the state established regulations requiring operators of personal watercraft to pass a safety course and set a minimum age of 16 to operate vessels such as Jet Skis and Sea-Doos.

But as the state's crowded waterways gave rise to more accidents and close calls, lawmakers decided to make safety education mandatory for nearly all recreational boaters. It took three years to get the legislation passed.

The new law does not apply to commercial boaters because they already take tests to obtain their licenses. It also does not apply to out-of state boaters 18 and older who operate a vessel for fewer than 30 days in New Jersey if they can show proof of similar education from the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators, the U.S. Coast Guard, or another state.

It does apply to engine-powered sailboats.

Under the new law, those born after Dec. 31, 1968, will have to take the eight-hour course immediately to be in compliance by June 1. Those born between Dec. 31, 1958, and Dec. 31, 1968, will have until June 1, 2007, to take the course, and those born between Dec. 31, 1948, and Dec. 31, 1958, will have until June 1, 2008. All others will have to take the course before June 1, 2009.

The New Jersey State Police, who will administer the tests, have not yet determined the definition of "experienced" or what will be included on the test.

The new regulations also require owners of personal watercraft to complete the educational course before operating the machine. Previously, they had 21 days from the date of purchase to complete the course.

The target of criticism by conventional boaters, personal watercraft are motorcycle-like boats that carry one-to-three riders, are steered with handle bars and are powered by a jet of water rather than a propeller.

Under the previous law, operators of personal watercraft who are at least 16 were permitted to use someone else's machine as long as they stayed within 150 feet of the owner, were in their line of sight, and used it less than five days. That provision is now prohibited, said State Police Sgt. Jeff Andres said.

However, the law still maintains that anyone renting a personal watercraft must be at least 18 years old and must have received safety instructions from the rental business.

MaryAnn Spoto covers Monmouth County. She may be reached at mspoto@starledger.com or (732) 462-8603.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-2/113989613656860.xml&coll=1
Old     (gpalovcak)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
Here is a link to the board I saw it on.

http://makephpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=457&mforum=offroadnjcom
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-23-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
George,

I asked that very same question to the NJ state police at the AC boat show.....they said no test until June 2007 as far as my age goes. (Then again I was born well before 1969!) Hopefully in the end it will result in fewer boats on the water.

Jim, sorry to hear about your knee.....like Alex said you can always join us for some pizza!

Alex, there should be lots of "demo days" in the spring/early summer from local boat dealers.....I would try them all if I were you!
I'll see if Kyle will come on saturday too.

Michele, I figured you would come with Justin, too. See you guys saturday!
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-23-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
Well June 1st is 3 months away and if this is true as usual the state doesn't have its act together. This is the first I have heard of it and even the article says they don't have a test ready. Only in New Jersey. And I would assume just like everything else in this overpriced state, there will be an additional fee for this that one will have to pay every 2 or 3 years.

No matter how my knee is I will be going to Big Boulder cause the townhouse is paid for already and my kids are looking forward to the trip. Weather I can ski or board is another question.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-24-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
No problem, I’ll have the absolute on as a guest board.

I’m taking Anthony to a winter carnival at his school this Saturday, but thanks anyway.

One month until we head to Florida for vacation, can’t wait to take that first deep breath of dewey air as soon as you get off the plane…..
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Well, Karen and I won't be making saturday, we are simply to busy right now, and the next few weekends are booked, hence why we can't make it this weekend!
Sorry!

I do though have a check waiting and will mail out to Dave asap.

Regarding the boater certs, when I see it I'll believe it! there are so many BAD boaters out there it's sickening, and the PWC are even worse.

And my question to the state is: What about those of us that have taken the US Coast Guard Boater Course and have endorsement on their license? Do we still have to take a test or attend the class?

I am slightly bitter over this, our politians are so out of touch with what really happens here that it does take from 1996 to 2006 to actually get something like this into place. Now it will take another 5 years jsut to perfect the process and another 5 years to finally get everyone involved!
Silly!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-24-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about hitting the Manahawkin skate park on the way home from Allentown. You think falling down
snowboarding can be brutal? The Manahawkin skate park is concrete! Connor and I used to go there and skate
around, but we haven't been there in a couple years. Me on a skateboard is pretty funny!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-24-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
KG,

After saturday, we'll fill you in on any new details. You can send your check after that. Thanks! I'll get your phone# from Alex.
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-24-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
I think most, if not all, of the Barton crew will be coming to lunch tomorrow in Allentown. Is the goal still the Feed Mill @ noon? I'll have my groms with me for sure and Amy may be free to join us as well. Looking forward just to being around like minded wakeboarders!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-25-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Hey gang!

Nice having lunch with all of you today. Glad we got everything finalized about our houseboat trip. I'm just waiting to hear back from KG.

Jeff, Glad that you and your groms could make it for lunch today, too. I hope to get to see you ride sometime this year! Until then, heal up that arm!

Kyle is really stoked now about the trip, since he met Conner. He can't wait!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
Well, NJ riders I secured our houseboat rental today, boat #14 with hot tub! Oh, yea! This should be a banner trip! 6 months and counting!

Old     (michelelef)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-27-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
Very exciting to hear Dave! I can't wait!! We had a nice time on Saturday.
Jeff, it was great meeting the kids...they are very cute!
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Well we just got back from our trip to Big Boulder and what a weekend. Our townhouse was nice. Our friends son and I skied all day and night Sunday. We spent the second half on the terrain park jumping and sliding.That was his first time skiing and he picked it up quick. I told him we were going to snowboard the next day while our families went tubing. All day Sunday he told me he was gonna smoke me on a snowboard because he knew how to board from using one on a sleding hill back home. Sunday came and I was really nervous but I promised myself there was no way I would back out. The best advise from Justin was rent a helmet.My first 2 times off the lift went great. The 3rd time I fell in front of the lift at the top and the chair smashed me in the head. That $10 helmet was worth every penny at that point because that chair nailed me hard. My first 3 runs down were hard. I would fall every 5 seconds and lay there and laugh.Then I found my balance and started working my edges.By lunch time I was doing good,but our friends son was not picking it up as fast. He was starting to give up but later after lunch it seemed to click and he found his balance.Then we hit the terrain park.This was our first time on snowboards and we went to the terrain park.Looking back now I realize just how crazy I am. We did good.We spent the rest of the day in the park hitting most of the things. I did the steps with ease and some very small jumps. Then I tried a slider. I first tried to grind across a slider and fell hard on my elbow. That still hurts.So the rest of the day I just rode the slider and jumped off straight. The only thing I wish I would have down was try to ride goofy footed. I just didn't have the guts to try. I can say that I am hooked and ready to ride again. I am also very soar today.My wife was able to some footage of one of my earlier runs. I got a little off the trail but was able to save it.
www.wakepics.com/img/18403
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-28-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
To the Saturday pizza crew, good hanging out with you. I was geniunely jealous listening to all the talk about the houseboat trip. Of course, I was also distracted by my job of keeping my kids from tossing their pizza all over!

I am getting pretty stoked for the New Jersey Wakeboarder Summit. Brian, is there anything you can think of I could do in advance? Boat ramp scouting? Resturants? Let me know and I'll get on it.

Jim, glad to hear you guys had a good trip. I am looking forward to boarding with my kids some timein the future. That's gotta be a great expereince.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2006, 3:32 PM Reply   
I just saw on JFBB.com that after this weekend lift tickets are only $25. If anyone is planning on going again this year let me know cause I'm hooked on the terrain park at Big Boulder.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-28-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
Jim, good to see you got back in one piece.

JB, what do you think of a scout team? (Any and all welcome) I suggest Saturday April 8th after I get back from vacation.

We could start at Katmandu, head to the Trenton ramp, onto the Florence ramp, then to Curtin seeing what we can find in-between.. Kind of a mini crawl.

On another note, Chris at Wakeboard & Ski Boats of PA in Allentown is having an open house this Saturday the 4th. You can get more information at 610-389-8552 in anyone is interested.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-28-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Hey all,
Sounds like we missed a good day on Sat, that's alright though, we got plenty done!

Jim,
Excellent to hear you back safe and stoked! You were hittin the rails on the first day, impressive.

Dave, got your email, thanks!

Brian, I got a flyer from Chris, it was a blurb of him from the local newspaper and how the business came about, was really neat.

On a completely unrelated note...we got our new Treo700's at work and on the train home tonight I surfed WW and this thread locked up the OS pulling down the all the content!
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
KG, This web site has been locking up a lot lately.

Man I can't stop thinking about snowboarding.
Old     (michelelef)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-28-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
Jim, glad to hear you're hooked on snowboarding! That is so awesome that you were on the sliders your first day out. I'm sure Justin and I will be making several more trips this season. We both still have more free passes to JFBB. We'll definitley let you know if we make plans.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-01-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Hey Justin and Michele, check out this video I found of Shawnee Mt. terrain park.

http://media.putfile.com/Shawnee-Mt-terrain-park

http://www.putfile.com
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-01-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
Greetings crew: An April 8th scouting trip to potential sites for the June 3rd gathering sound like an
excellent idea. Unfortunately, I'll be at work that Saturday. I'm curious; how is this gathering being
visualized? Are we meeting at a boat ramp somewhere, launching and then spending the day on the water?
Or are we going to have a place on land where we can hang, barbecue, imbibe adult beverages, maybe set-up
a canopy or two, throw down some lawn chairs and maybe have some
tunes? Are we thinking getting together to ride or are we thinking getting together to ride and create a happening?
Are we going to need a wave runner and one of Jim's makeshift slider creations? Last year I tried to lure
Shaun Murray's Back Yard Tour to LBI. Before submitting my application I did tons of leg work in preparation.
Had the BYT come to Turtle Cove I would have had everything in place to make it a really cool happening.
But with the June 3rd gathering happening on The Delaware River, I'm sort of powerless to help bring it together.

It's too bad none of us are friends with Harold Herbert. His lake would be ideal.

But anyhoo, here's a picture from the Allentown pizzafest. Six pictures were taken this day: two walking to
the pizza place, two in the pizza place and two at The Cream Ridge Winery. This is the best shot of the whole
crew, except for Cali, whose blonde hair can be seen just to the left of Doreen. And no, I didn't go
for the crowd pleaser and eat a whole pie! And check-out Justin workin' the 609TCC hat.
Upload
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-02-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
First off, Nice picture from last weekend, I wish we could have made it

Alex, you raise some good questions. If your up for Sunday the 9th that also works for me. Either way I’m heading out that weekend to nail down as much as I can. I do think that the more of us that get engaged will make for a better event but in the same breath I don’t want to come off as if I’m shifting responsibility or twisting arms to get involved.

Ok, moving forward to the weekend of the 8th /9th of April. My thought was to make it a land excursion starting at Katmandu.

• Katmandu – Good food / big outside deck / lots of parking / close to the Trenton ramp and I’m sure they would welcome the business on a Saturday afternoon (with regards to the 3rd). Also I intended to check in with the management about the date and the parking situation as related to the security of parking that kind of hardware in their lot.

• Trenton ramp – good ramp conditions / minimal ramp traffic on Saturdays / and it has a small picnic area (but the picnic area leaves some things to be desired) – Closest to the better riding conditions.

• Florence Ramp – I have never been there so I need to get my own understanding of what it has to offer.

• Curtin Marina – Ramp (small Fee) / restaurant / transient slips. I have been there some time ago but my senility has completely wiped the experience away. It is my understanding however that Curtin is owned entirely by the same family but the marina does not run in unison with the restaurant, which begs some obvious questions.

• Lastly maybe we come across something else in between that is suitable for an after ride gathering or we stay on the water and raft up in the lagoon or at the sandbar (tide depending).

June 3rd, gather at the launch site around 10am. Once in the water we can rendezvous at the lagoon, it is the best location I can think of to use as a central meeting point and raft up while not riding. Ride, raft, ride, try some different wakes, raft till were ready to go to the off water location??, or call it a day.

Another option is our house, its about 40 minutes north of Trenton but has all the comforts of home and the hot tub should be in by then.

“Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!!!!”

Sorry I couldn’t resist……
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-02-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
Wow, Brian alot to absorb in your last post.
Nice animal house reference, too!

I'm up for something the weekend of april 8th.
Trenton and Florence ramps are both good launch locations, but as far as lunch goes, there is no place to tie-up the boats there. I would suggest Curtin's Wharf. I was there 2 years ago(with the 30 footer) and we docked, had lunch & drinks and went back out on the water. As an extra bonus, it would turn some heads to have 4-5 wake boats all docked there together!
The other option would be take lunch out on the boats and raft-up, which is also a nice idea.
Kat-man-du could work also, in the past there was a big dock which, I believe is for their customers use. We'll have to check into that.

Hopefully everyone can come out in april and take a look around so we can decide what to do. Look forward to seeing everyone then.

Jim, I might be able to hit the slopes with you sometime. Are you available on any fridays? I hate the weekend crowds. This would be my 2nd time snowboarding, but the first one was 3 years ago, so that shouldn't even count.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-02-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
Brian, Love the animal house reference. I was just playing with an animal house sound board last week.

Dave, I prefer Mondays but I could do a Friday with you.

An update on my soar knee.I went to occupational heath today and I need an MRI cause I tore my meniscus in my left knee. The MRI will tell us how bad and weather we go under the knife. For now I'm wearing a brace. So if I need surgery than I'm looking to snowboard before that happens.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-03-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
Ok here is the only video I have of my first time snowboarding. I got a little off the trail but in the end I made it down ok. LOL

http://media.putfile.com/1st-time-snowboarding
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
WOW, I feel like I've been missing..WOrk has been extremely busy, which is good. And I've been spending a ton of time on passesforthemasses.com d/l'ing goodies, and also searching for a place to live! Unfortunately the RE market is inflated, it figures when I am trying to get something! This will be a long chore!

Sorry to hear about your knee Jim, but I am stoked you had such a great experience and are looking forward to going back. Just an update on my ankles, I still have pain in them every so often, so I may need to get an MRI as well and may even need surgery. But I will hold that off to see how they feel when I wakeboard.

April 8th/9th sounds open for me so far. Michele and I would be up to meet and check out some places with you all.

I think it would cool to tie up all the boats on the sandbar or in a lagoon and eat sandwiches or whatever. We could swim, chat, chill, and do whatever as opposed to being docked in a restaurant where we're separated by tables and confined to speaking with the individuals within your immediate space. At the pizza gathering, it was hard to talk to JB, Alex, and Doreen because they were on the other end of the table. Just my $.02. Plus we could all check out everyone's boats/setups/etc. What does everyone think?

Hey KG, where is it you're working now? I don't believe we were informed, or did I miss it?
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-03-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
Dave: what do you think about boarding this Friday the 10th at Blue Mountain? We could do the 12:30 pm till 10 pm ticket. I'll get home Friday morning around 3,3:30 and take a nap. Then I could meet you somewhere near jersey or pennsi. turnpike and we could go from there. Maybe we could get a couple of people to join us. I hear Blue is close and is a nice place to board. I'll tape my knee up and we could hit.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-04-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
Dave I just checked the weather and Friday is no good. After next weekend I would be amazed if there was any snow left. Its gonna rain and be in the 60's up there.I hope that forecast is wrong.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-04-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
Jim, just checked out your boarding vid...sweet, nice choice of music too, gotta love that Napalm Death it makes the whole vid come alive..
I'm glad to hear you had a blast and your back in one piece...You hit the park too?! Amazing, especially for a first timer.

NJ Riders, fill me in with the details for that June 3rd ride, Sound's like a good time, Maybe I'll make the ride down for the weekend, if that's cool with you folks. --Jeff
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-04-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff. I'm pretty sure that learning to wakeboard last summer helped big time with my balance on the snowboard. I was able to ride down the steps and hit 2 slider boxes. No rails yet.You gotta make sure you come to the June 3rd Jam.

I know I keep saying how much I hate winter but it can't end yet I need to snowboard 1 more time!!!!!!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-04-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
Jim,
We'll have to watch the weather in the upcoming weeks. Either Blue mt. or Camelback?

Jeff, Sure come on down June 3rd! I'm sure myself or someone will give you a pull.
You might have to reciprocate with a pull on Lake Hopatcong!
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-04-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
Jim and Dave, I think I can also get out to snowboard this Friday mid day. What do you guys think about hitting Spring Mountain? It’s a little closer and has all the essentials for having fun.
http://www.springmountain-fun.com/

Anthony and I had a nice opportunity to meet some of the Lehigh County’s wakeboarding faithful at PA Wake boats open house today. Interestingly enough they are also trying to organize a network of area riders for the sake of growing the sport. We spent some time talking about riding, riding spots, equipment, and our event on June 3rd. They were genuinely interested in joining the festivities, so we exchanged information and hopefully we can get together with them.

This group also mentioned that they have a trip planned to Raystown Lake in June. They raved about the water conditions there, so it sounds like you guys going on the houseboat trip are in store for some great riding.

Jeff, we well have to workout something to get you down here for the 3rd.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-04-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
Brian: This Friday deosn't look good weather wise but we must snowboard before the winter ends . That would awesome if those guys came for the June 3rd riverfest. This thing could get huge.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-04-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
Any good motel/hotels in the area? I'm thinking of taking the 2nd off from work and coming down. I'll spend Fri. and Sat. night in the Big state of NJ and go home on Sunday late...
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-04-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
That should be part of the scouting weekend. To locate a hotel for Jeff.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-04-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
Jeff, I’ll start working on some places for you to stay when I get back in the office on Monday. Your welcome to hang with us over the weekend there are a couple of places to stay near by.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-04-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
I'll bring my honey Sara with me
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-04-2006, 6:26 PM Reply   
My better half need's to work. I'll bring my homey Heathy from CT.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-04-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
Good Kid...
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2006, 5:21 AM Reply   
Jeff,

There are plenty of motels nearby. If you want something clean, go with Red Roof on route 1 in Lawrenceville/Princeton. It's only 15 minutes from the Trenton ramp. We also have a motel just 1 mile from ny house, and I live 25 mins. from the ramp. I'll stop there today for you and get some rates.

Brian, Are the guys from Lehigh county going to join-in on our June 3rd summit? This thing could get really big! Keep us informed if they do something on their own too. I'd be up for a nice wakeboard demo day/clinic! This summer should be a good one for sure!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2006, 5:34 AM Reply   
Jeffrey,

I forgot you live in MA. For some reason I was thinking north Jersey.

Anyway, here are some #'s of inns for you:

Red Roof in Lawrenceville 609-896-3388
Mcintosh Inn- Lawrenceville 609-896-3700
Marriot in Ewing 609-771-8100
Pennytown Inn (near me in Pennington) 609-466-2000.

Hope this helps.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-05-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
Dave, thanks for the info., I'll talk to you folks next weekend. Enjoy the week!
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-06-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
Jeff-

i took the liberty of helping you locate a hotel as well. There are tons of places to stay all within 0-15 mins of where we'll be meeting up/launching. Here are a few in the Bordentown area:

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q=hotels&near=Bordentown,+NJ+08505 &sa=X&oi=localr Exit 7 off the NJ Turnpike

Hampton Inn-Bordentown
2004 Us Highway 206, Bordentown, NJ
(609) 298-4000
Econo Lodge
187 Us Highway 130, Bordentown, NJ
(609) 298-5000
River Front Motel
1295 Route 130 S, Bordentown, NJ
(609) 298-0357
Travelette Motel
131 Us Highway 130, Bordentown, NJ
(609) 298-2371
Imperial Inn
3312 US Highway 206, Bordentown, NJ
(609) 298-3355
Days Inn of Bordentown
1073 Route 206, Bordentown, NJ
(609) 298-6100
Hampton Inn
2004 US Highway 206, Bordentown, NJ
(609) 298-4000
Comfort Inn
1009 Us Highway 206, Bordentown, NJ
(609) 298-9111
Nisan Corp
195 US Highway 130, Bordentown, NJ
(609) 298-2345
Laurel Notch Motor Lodge
1043 Us Highway 206, Bordentown, NJ
(609) 298-6500

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q=hotels&near=Trenton,+NJ&sa=X&oi= localr

Trenton Marriott-Lafayette Yrd
1 W Lafayette St, Trenton, NJ
(609) 421-4000
Knights Inn
590 New York Ave, Trenton, NJ
(609) 599-9300
Howard Johnson Inn
2995 Us Highway 1, Trenton, NJ
(609) 896-1100
Courtyard-Ewing Hopewell
360 Scotch Rd, Trenton, NJ
(609) 771-8100
Courtyard by Marriott Hopewell Ewing
1606 Pennington Rd, Trenton, NJ
(609) 771-8100
Hunedoara Inn
538 Adeline St, Trenton, NJ
(609) 393-6133
Bordentown Motel
77 US Highway 130, Trenton, NJ
(609) 298-5334
Sleep-E-Hollow Motel
3000 Brunswick Pike, Lawrenceville, NJ
(609) 896-0900
Mount's Motel
2984 US Highway 1, Lawrenceville, NJ
(609) 896-0125
Oakwood Motel
1210 US Highway 130, Robbinsville, NJ
(609) 490-0349

Michele and I got that flyer for the thing in Lehigh, glad to hear you met some new riders Brian! Maybe they'll meet up on the 3rd. Where were most of them from? From what my sister tells me, she lives in Bethlehem, there are many local nearby lakes to board around the Lehigh area. I wonder where they board besides Raystown Lake.