Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-13-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
I know this has been discussed before. But maybe someone has new info. I have had 3 arthroscopic surgeries on my left knee. I now suffer from Ostioarthritus, and most of my medial miniscus having been removed. This was not from boarding, but from a career of Firefighting. What would be the best suportive brace for wake activities? I have read about CTI2 and DonJoy. Any first hand advise is great. Price no concern as this is workcomp...Thanks
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-13-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
My first hand advice (I don't have OEM ACLs anymore) is get a doc. This board ain't going to get you anywhere. Everybody reps whatever they've got, only a doc will truly know what is right for you.

And for the record- even after patella graft surgery- I've never used a brace in my life, at the advice of my doc.
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-13-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
Thanks Gangstar. I have a doc, Im gonna try to steer him toward the brand of brace that will work best in the wet invironment. All the companies make similar braces to treat the same stuff. But some HAVE to be better than others.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
I have had ACL surgery on both my knees. The last one was almost 8 years ago. I have been riding with knee braces ever since. I only use them for wakeboarding. I don't wear them for any of the other sports I participate in.

In my experience, non of the existing braces work very well in a wet environment. I'm not knocking the manufacturers, it's just that, as far as I know, no one has designed a brace specifically for use submerged in water.

Here is what I have done to my braces to make them almost perfect for use in water:

With this setup, once they are on I don't even think about them. They don't move, or get loose, they just work!

Good luck with your search,
jjakober
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-14-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
I have a cti2 and it works great. I think any custom fit fully rigid brace will do what you need it to though.
the only negative with the cti2 is that the velcro straps stretch a little when they get wet. I always wet mine before I put it on and it makes a big difference. Occasionally on a big stack i'll have 1 strap come undone, but never more than one at a time. this brace has saved my knee a heap of times, so I guarantee it works (particularly if you use the extension stops - i wouldn't ride without them).
everyone will definitely advocate whichever one they use themselves, but drs are definitely the same, and will advocate braces made by companies they have 'arangements' with, so I guess just do some reading and see what will work best for you.
if in doubt just pick the most expensive one (seeing as it's free)?! :-)
Old     (marcg)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-14-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
I 2nd the cti2
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-17-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
3rd for the cti2. I have a partially torn acl, but my knee has remained stable so Dr. does not want to do surgery. I steered him towards the cti2 after lots of reading hear and other places. Great brace for wakesports.