Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-30-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/k...al-hinges.aspx

I went and tried it on and thought it was really nice...I wanted to ask if there is anyone using it. I tore my ACL and MCL and like the added support of a brace. The one i use now is very similar but I like to ask questions first...

Last edited by zacharoo; 04-30-2012 at 3:09 PM. Reason: m/s
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-30-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
Man I'm surprised you have anything like that after tearing an ACL and an MCL. I'm using a Donjoy Armour Fourcepoint when I get back on the water after my ACL tear and I've heard its pretty good. Most people here would use a CTi Custom brace, though you'd probably have to get something slightly different to offer support for your MCL reconstruction too.

The hard metal braces offer much more support and protection that the neoprene ones. If someone told me the neoprene ones didn't offer any significant support and were merely psychological support I wouldn't be surprised. They cost about 10 times as much, but what's $500 compared to more than that in medical and physiotherapy expenses? Not to mention 6 months out if you re-injure yourself.

It depends on how far out you are though. If you're several years post-op I wouldn't think you'd need a brace at all but if its less than 2 years, invest in something that'll really protect you
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-01-2012, 5:43 AM Reply   
I am surprised your ortho didn't prescribe a custom one. The better ones are very expensive but I think after insurance my cutsom Don Joy was about $200. I actually feel a bit bad as my ortho measured me and ordered a custom brace before making sure insurance would cover it and had to eat the cost when the insurance company came back and said they would only pay for a off the shelf brace. Kind of ticked me off as we pay a ABSOLUTE FORTUNE for insurance.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-01-2012, 6:19 AM Reply   
Insurance covered the entire cost of my CTi. No way I would trust one of those neoprene ones.
Old     (MattAlz33)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-03-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
I have that exact brace I use on the knee I blew out seven years ago (right knee) and like it. I also have a CTi OTS that I got after blowing out my left knee. My insurance company wouldn't pay for a custom, but they covered a little of the OTS after my second surgery. I love the CTi, especially riding right after getting my left knee fixed. I would suggest going with a CTi and then after you feel comfortable and confident maybe going to one like the Shock Doctor.