Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
I was out on Friday and all of a sudden my stereo system would do weird things when I would turn it up loud. It would play normal for a second, then it seems like the speakers would cut in and out, or the sound would rotate from one speaker to another.

I don't think the speakers are blown because all of them behave this way whether on the tower or in the boat, and they sound just fine when the volume is low.

I was wondering if someone has an educated idea if I blew a fuse, or and amp, or something else. Any info would be helpful.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
Probably not getting enough power going to the amps.

How many batteries are you running? And how is it wired?
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
N Adams,

Thank you for the the input. I have 2 batteries, but I was only running off one, which seemed like it was low. I assumed that once the boat was running that it wouldn't matter if the battery was low. I will see if it works well with both batteries tomorrow. Thanks
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-20-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Nope not a fuse, sounds like current deliver or bad ground.

Check the ground from the amp to chassis or battery (if you have a common ground point, or if it goes back to the batter). Also check what size wiring is used for the Power wire. If its too small and your trying to pull too much current through it, the voltage will drop at the amp and cause it to cut out until a lower volume is used and the amp is not choking itself.

If it were a fuse, the amp would not power on at all..
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
Hey thanks Matt,

I have had this boat for over a year now and the system has run perfectly. Is the problem that you describe something that could occur over time?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2008, 10:36 PM Reply   
sounds like you have a short somewhere.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-21-2008, 4:23 AM Reply   
rick, grounds come loose over time and connections corrode (especially in a moist environment).

Try and replicate the problem again and get a multi meter and stick it on the amps power terminals and see what the voltage is like, and also if the amp has any protection LED's turning on, and if so make note of which protection light it is (under voltage, short, ground etc)
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
How long were they cutting out? The amp may have been going into protect.

FYI you are correct. If the engine is running, and the house battery is connected to the charging system, then ALL of the power the amps are getting is coming from the alt unless you have a very very small alternator.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on April 21, 2008)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-21-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
any perko switches or iso/combiners? make sure they're setup right and combining all batts when needed.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-21-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
I had a similar issue over the winter months while i was doing maintenance work on the boat. Come to find out, my batteries were low and after charging them back up, no more of an issue.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-21-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I turned my switch to both batteries and the stereo and speakers worked just fine. Thank you for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Rick