Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-05-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
I just had to vent. Last weekend my Father in law and I installed some new "Low E "windows at the lake house. The frames around the windows were rotten and I decided to replace them. We replaced 2 windows and installed a Slider where there once was a window.

We were working on the slider and we noticed the Local "BUSY BODY" snooping around the hood. This old man was driving around the hood checking out what was going on. We could see him peering in at us as soon as we started looking back at him he quickly looked away embarrased as if he was caught gaucking at us.

Well low and Behold 1 week later The building inspector dropped by to let me know I was turned in by a Neighbor who reported we had been installing windows. I didn't know you needed a Permit to install a few windows. Just seems like a Joke. In this case You wanna fix up your house and some save some energy improve the look and function of your place and people are just so bitter that ALL they have to do what ever they can to be lame.

I feel sorry for them, Because I have a feeling these people have nothing positive or good in their life and they just sit inside their home and think of things to complain about. Its just weird to think that some people spend their life trying to improve and other's spend their life trying to tear down
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-05-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
That absolutely suck man! Next time you see the guy I'd give him an earful an let him know just how annoying and pathetic he is!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-05-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
I just don't understand why other's care so much about something you are doing on your house. If for some reason you decided to make your house really ugly and an eye sore maybe I would complain. If your replacing windows or building a new deck to improve the house then I don't care.....and why should I?

People suck!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
G money,

Kill him with kindness trust me from many years of crazy behavior like this. You see him, invite him in to look at the windows and have a beer with you. With the energy he spent going against you, he will now spend that energy tooting your horn to anybody that will listen.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-05-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
Send that neighbor a fake P.O. for the $40 or whatever the permit will be and tell him to mind his ****ing business next time.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-05-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
Jason your logic makes sense. But I have a hard time rewarding negitive behavour. The last thing I wanna or Will do is Befriend a ROACH. On the Flip side! One neighbor saw me digging in the dirt and showed up with his tractor! as a way of introducing himself!!! Yea this guy is also retired like the ROACH and also likes driving around checking out the hood and checking things out BUT the diff between this guy and the Roach is this guy enjoys saying HI and being SOCIAL. He dosen't hide in his house being bitter like the ROACH. He is out on his golf cart socializing and that's how we met. It was great to meet him this weekend because I was pretty bummed out on Old Nosy people this weekend till I met him. I went to try to pay him and he said he wouldn't take money he just enjoys playing in the dirt with his tractor and helping people out! Its good to know that there is a flip side to most every person and or thing.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-05-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
It's ridiculous what they require permits for these days. Almost want to put up privacy screens or unload materials where the neighbors cannot see anything. I've got this obnoxious b!tch who called the urban forest guys on the two heritage trees in my front yard. City flagged them for removal and despite an independent horticulturalist saying the trees could be saved I had to remove them. Then she has the audacity to make a comment while I was trying to remove the stumps. I had to walk away from that situation. She also called because the tree in the city green strip had lifted the sidewalk so the city tagged it and while it is their tree and their sidewalk the homeowner has to maintain it so that was another few hundred dollars. Thing is she does this to the whole f'ing block, everyone hates her.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-05-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
You should burn his house down.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-05-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
kill him with kindness...lol. come on, the guy is a turd! he's old...he's NOT changing his ways.

Ad in CL.....free section.

"Free plants and shrubs...bring your own shovel to remove. Come early."
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-05-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
kill him with kindness...lol. come on, the guy is a turd! he's old...he's NOT changing his ways.

Ad in CL.....free section.

"Free plants and shrubs...bring your own shovel to remove. Come early."

Lol that would be great..
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
At Adam amazing!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-05-2012, 3:37 PM Reply   
We had a nosey neighbor that would call code enforcement every single time we parked the boat on the street in front of our house. There is no sidewalk there and we weren't bothering anybody. The code enforcement lady was super nice. She said she wished whoever was calling it in would stop because she could care less. It was all anonymous so the code enforcement lady hadno idea who to go have a friendly chat with. I finally figured out which neighbor was doing it when they ,iced and suddenly the orange notices quit showing up on the boat all the time.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-05-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
G, does your place need any new siding and along with it a new attic vent cover??

http://www.snopes.com/photos/risque/ventcover.asp

Was pretty funny when it was happening here in town LOL
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-06-2012, 5:39 AM Reply   
^^ that's hilarious.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-06-2012, 5:57 AM Reply   
classic!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-06-2012, 6:09 AM Reply   
Isnt there a dollar amount limit for No-permit work? Here it is is $500.

You would be amazed at what I have done for < $500.....
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-06-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
^^^^there's no dollar amount. I don t even think i can change out a receptacle without needing to pull a permit. i believe a handyman has a limit in which he can do work, but you need a permit for everything.

Grant so did you have to stop and get some permits.

Around my area these Cxck suckers will drive around and if they see something, even a dumpster bin, they'll stop and see whats going on.

I redid my whole house without a single permit, but always had trucks and dumpsters in my backyard behind a covered gate.

I live on a quite street where everyone pretty much knows eachother and talks to eachother. My next door neighbor is the exception and I try to kill her with kindness. It's funny because she knows she doesn't like me but she's not sure what to do when I'm nice to her.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-06-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv210 View Post
i believe a handyman has a limit in which he can do work, but you need a permit for everything.
Any job over $500 requires a licensed contractor.

According to the California Building Code, no building or structure shall be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted or demolished unless a separate permit for each building or structure has first been obtained from the building official. Source: http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/HireAContractor/

While dependent on location here's what requires a permit in my city:

Projects that require a permit
Typical projects include, but are not limited to:
New homes and buildings
Room additions
Enclosures and carports
Decks and patio covers
Garage conversions
Landscape irrigation
Retaining walls *
Window replacements
Water services
Sewer services
Signs
Water heaters
Fences *
Fireplaces and fireplace inserts
Skylights
Sheds *
Shower/tub enclosure replacements
Swimming pools and spas
Re-roofing
Siding
Ceiling fans

Projects that do not require a permit*
Unless within a design review or preservation district (or a historic landmark), a building permit is not required for:
One story detached accessory buildings used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, etc., providing the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet.
Fences, other than masonry walls, under six feet in height.
Retaining walls not over four feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
Platforms, walkways, and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below.
Painting, papering, and similar finish work.

Electrical isn't listed but I know for a fact permits are required along with HVAC and others.