Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-09-2012, 5:48 AM Reply   
So I need some advice on what camera to buy my wife. I'm thinking she really doesn't want a point and shoot because cell phones work good enough now. So I'm trying to find her something better. But she did say if we could find a camera that wasn't huge that would be better. Anybody got suggestions on what a good camera would be that won't break bank, I have no idea. I would like to keep it under 500.00 if can but I could go a little higher.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-09-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
Are you shooting things that move fast? If so, you need to spend more money.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-09-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
Here is one option - http://mobile.dailysteals.com/
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-09-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
Does she want a DSLR or a "nice" P&S that takes better pics than a celly?

It's just a tool. DSLR = nicer, more complicated tool that can produce great results in the right hands. But there's still a lot of skill involved and it's totally possible to take crappy dslr pics.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-09-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
It would be used for things like wakeboarding and the cable and our little nephews. I was looking at some of the compact system cameras and that might work (just don't know how good they are.) I think she wants something she can take better pictures than our old 8 mega pixel P&S. I think shooting stuff out at 80 feet would be more for me.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-09-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
The more I think about she has always said if she the had a good camera she would really love to get into photography so I think a DSLR might be the way to go?????
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-09-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Does she want a DSLR or a "nice" P&S that takes better pics than a celly?

It's just a tool. DSLR = nicer, more complicated tool that can produce great results in the right hands. But there's still a lot of skill involved and it's totally possible to take crappy dslr pics.
Confirmed
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-09-2012, 1:38 PM Reply   
for something "not too big" you're either in 4/3 territory or a "superzoom". The panasonic lumix fz 200 is worth a look. I've gotten some really good shots and decent video out of its much lesser brethren the fz35. In theory I really want a dslr, then I think about lugging that beotch around everywhere....
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-10-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
I love owning a fine DSLR.

When I was searching for a GOOD camera, I learned a lot reading Ken Rockwell's thoughts...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

But, I disagree with Ken that resolution does not matter since I often shoot things that move fast in unknown directions -- for this deep cropping can really help.

When I was looking 2 years ago, it came down to the Nikon D7000 and the Canon 60D. Both excellent bang/buck. No bad choice. So, I ended up chosing the 60D because it felt better in my hand. Its been an awesome camera. I got it with a single nice "all in one" or "goto" 18-200 lens. This setup can be found at Costco today for about $1300.

Last edited by diamonddad; 10-10-2012 at 9:53 AM.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-10-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
I love my Nikon D5100, but you will spend alot more than $500 especially to get everything needed. As far as lugging it around, I got the backpack style camera bag and it works out great.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
As mentioned above, in your price range for something better (and bigger) than a standard point in shoot, a good mega zoom camera is the Panasonic FZ35. I have it, and it works well and is a nice camera. It's gotten great reviews and is about $300 or less.

There are a lot of choices for DSLRs in all price ranges. I recently picked up the same camera as GD, that Canon 60d from Costco for $1250. It's a great camera that I'm still learning how to use. For something cheaper just google top or best entry level DSLRs and google reviews on any camera you find or think about getting.
Old     (MattAlz33)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-10-2012, 7:13 PM Reply   
Sony alpha 550; perfect for fast action shots like wakeboarding. You won't be disappointed.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-12-2012, 5:23 AM Reply   
Today only: http://www.woot.com/offers/canon-eos...mp-digital-slr

t3i for $599
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-12-2012, 5:28 AM Reply   
Thats a pretty good deal!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-12-2012, 6:13 AM Reply   
+1 for the woot deal
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-12-2012, 7:46 AM Reply   
woot is now owned by amazon, so I went over there and took a look. pretty decent package deals with telephotos too: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Processo...4&keywords=t3i
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-12-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
We got a New point and Shoot Sony from cost co. Its was under $275. I must say you can't seem to take a crapy pic with this cam, and for that I love it, Fits in the cup holder of the boat or in the wifes purse and takes great pic's in a jiffy.
My wife is the worst picture taker and she has gotten quite good with this camera, I have been impressed with her new skill. Infact we had a few of her shots turned in to canvas photos that now hang in our house and they look professional. So I have to agree with the Pro's If you know what your doing the DSLR is the way to go. I bet if you had a modern Point and Shoot you can take most Still pictures just as good as a DSLR for 1/2 the price.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-31-2012, 6:26 AM Reply   
http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Di...Demo-62311.cfm

http://dealnews.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-...ng/628280.html

I know its been a couple weeks but what do you guys think about these two cameras