Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-04-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
OK,
So a friend of mine just bought these speakers, and was getting ready to buy a 1000 watt mono amp, and I told him to hold up and I would ask around on what would be a better choice for an amp. I know nothing about stereos/ amp/ etc. but I'm not afraid to ask...........
I though I read somewhere that you cant run a 1 channel amp for tower speakers?? I could be wrong, but I just want him to buy the right amp first, instead of trial and error ( like i've done)

http://bazooka.com/products/marine/T...n-Tubbies-P140

if the link doesn't come up a brief breakdown of them:
bazooka 8" compression horn tubbies
MT8002CHB Specification

Power Handling --------------------------------- 200 watts
Impedance --------------------------------- 4 Ohm
Sensitivity --------------------------------- 104dB
Frequency Response --------------------------------- 85Hz-20kHz
Recommended Power --------------------------------- 10 - 150 watts
Height --------------------------------- 10"
Width --------------------------------- 8.5"
Length --------------------------------- 10.5"

I was thinking an exile 800.4 amp only because I'm buying one for my tower, and I think it will work for these. what amp will make these absolutely scream? thanks for you help guys
Almost forgot, he has 4 of them in his Bu
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-04-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
Yeah if he wants to do a monoblock it would have to be full range which most aren't. A couple that come to mind are JL HD 750/1 and Zapco 1100.1

If he wants to go Exile the best choice would be the Harpoon rather than the 800.4 as it would under power them at 125 watts per pod. Have him look for a 2 channel amp rated between 750 and 1000 watts at 2 ohms.
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-04-2011, 5:38 PM Reply   
thanks hate-
would that be 750-1000 watts total? also, why at 2 ohms? is 2 ohms sound better than 4?
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-04-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
Marc - I think Hate nailed it. the Harpoon would be a better choice for 2 reasons...

1 - It sounds like he's got 4 cans on the tower which means whatever total power your going to aim at them is going to be divided by 4. The Harpoon will deliver 250W per speaker.

2 - The Harpoon has a cool feature called "throttle box" that lets you change the pitch of the HLCD on the fly. It would be a nice bonus for these Bazooka's.

He could run the 800.4 but this would be better suited for a single par of the Tubbies.

Make sure you feed the amplifier 4 ga power cables. It's important. If you have questions or need further install guidance shoot me an email to brian@exileaudio.com and we can set you up with a local dealer, answer questions and/or email you some install & tuning tech tips on the the Harpoon, 800.4 and the powerflow system. Nice stuff to have handy for installation.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-04-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
sending email now! thanks for your help