Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-06-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
I have a 2003 supra SS and was wondering if anyone has ever changed out the rudder on theirs. I recently changed out the steering cable but the steering still feels stiff to me. I heard that supra changed design of rudder to a larger shaft. I am curious what experience anyone may have had that changed from the old style on their boat to new.
Old     (h2omantx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-06-2007, 3:50 PM Reply   
Did you maintenance the grease fitting on the rudder when you changed out the steering cable? If not that may solve your problem.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-08-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
I did that before I changed out the steering cable. The cable change made a difference but the steering is still not at the level I am accustomed to from my previous boat. I am thinking that I should be able to spin the steering wheel easily with my index finger. The new supra's at the dealership have that feel and the only difference I can think is the newer rudder design which incorporates a larger shaft. I was hoping to find someone on the board that has done the upgrade on their older supra and what their results were.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-08-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
I have a 2004 SSV and had to have the rudder assembly replaced under warranty. Not sure about the 2003, but on the 2004 models there is not a zerk fitting to lubricate the rudder assembly. Shortly after having replaced my rudder, the steering cable had to be replaced as well. Apparently during the 2003 and 2004 model years the factory received some sub par cables and rudder assemblies from their suppliers, as my dealer told me that they had replaced quite a few rudders and cables from these model year boats.

After replacing both the rudder and the steering cable my steering wheel turns with ease. It's not stiff at all.

(Message edited by nauty on August 08, 2007)
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-09-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Richard, how long ago did you change the rudder and steering cable? How is it today compared to when you changed it all out. I've got a 21v and have had a feeling that the steering is quite difficult, especially turning left(right isn't near as bad, prolly prop wash). But driving my buddies boats(bu's, nauti's), their isnt' any issues w/ steering right or left.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-09-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
My 04 SSV had steering troubles as well. 3 cables in 3 years had to be replaced. Never any water in the bilge. There was clearly a design flaw IMO.
Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-09-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
I never had any issues with the steering or the rudder when I had an 03SSV.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-09-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
Sean,

When you are driving the boat at 25mph can you EASILY spin the steering wheel all the way to the right and back to the left with just your right index finger?
Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-09-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
I dont have that boat anymore, but I could the whole time I owned it.. I have an 07 21V now and can do the same. Even with the GG Bags full!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-09-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
Steve,

I currently have 200 hours on my SSV. The rudder was changed at 93 hours and the steering cable was changed at 160 hours. Everything has worked fine since having them changed. Although, I did notice some metal shavings sprinkling out from behind the stering wheel the last time I had my boat out. Not sure what the deal is with that, but I will take a look at it next time I get my boat out.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-09-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info, at least we have been able to validate that my Supra should steer as well as my old Bu. I can live with the current steering I have it as is not that bad; but maybe I should just pursue the Rudder change.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-09-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
If yours is like mine was, it will get steadily worse in a short period of time.