Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-10-2004, 7:00 PM Reply   
USA WATER SKI

Having FUN Today ... Building CHAMPIONS For Tomorrow!

You have received this message because of your affiliation with USA Water Ski. If you no longer wish to receive these e-mails, please hit REPLY and type 'REMOVE' in the subject line, and we will remove you from our mailing list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WATERWAYS ALERT: Elimination of the California Department of Boating & Waterways!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

immediate action required!

We have just been alerted by a VERY reliable source in Sacramento that the Governor plans to eliminate the Department of Boating and Waterways in his proposed re-organization plan. The plan could be introduced publicly within the next two weeks. (Refer to your April Slack Tide's Page 1 story on the CPR for details on this process)

The way his proposal will work is that he will make it public and it will then be approved by the Little Hoover Commission, followed by a vote by the Legislature. The Legislature will NOT be able to amend the plan. It will be given a Yes or No vote only. Given that boating is such a small part of the plan, our opposition AFTER the plan's release will have little impact. Our best chance is burying the Governor in letters requesting a change before the plan goes public.

We do not have much time. You MUST do everything you can to get this information out IMMEDIATELY to as many boaters, local individuals, businesses and the news media, and get them all to write a letter to the Governor NOW.

Attached is a draft letter and a fact sheet that can be used. Please insert in the letter your individual augments for saving DBAW.

Joseph R. Manusia, Executive Director
California Association of Harbor Masters & Port Captains

PLEASE Write your letters Today!!!!!

SAMPLE LETTER

Date

The Honorable Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor

State of California

State Capitol

Sacramento, CA 95814

SUBJECT: SAVE THE DEPARTMENT OF BOATING AND WATERWAYS

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:

The purpose of this letter is to request that you do not eliminate the Department of Boating and Waterways (DBAW) in your reorganization plan.

DBAW is the primary point of contact for the boating community and, more importantly, serves as a vital mechanism for spending boater dollars. Without the Department, the chances of our money going to non-boating purposes are greatly increased. Because DBAW is supported by the _road tax_ paid by boaters, vessel registration and the principle and interest paid on loans offered by the Department, I am very concerned that moving the programs to another department will result in a diversion of these funds and less emphasis being placed on the needs of boating. THERE IS NO GENERAL FUND SUPPORT FOR THE DEPARTMENT.

It is also my understanding that DBAW is very lean and efficient. Because of this, costs are kept down and access to decision-makers is easy. The relationship between boating and the Department is very good. As a member of the boating community and based on my feedback from other boaters, I can easily say that boaters are very happy with DBAW! Moving the functions to another agency would only reduce the quality of service and degrade programs.

It must also be understood that California is very unique and demands a boating department. We are in the minority of states with a coastline and that coastline is one of the longest in the nation. California also has the Delta, which is a natural feature unique in the world and precipitates hundreds of millions of dollars being spent by boaters drawn to its waters.

Furthermore, DBAW is a key reason boating has been so successful in California. DBAW has helped to generate the statewide $16.5 billion economic impact (1.2 percent of GDP) that comes from recreational boating, including more than $1.6 billion in state and local taxes, 284,000 California jobs, and more than 8,500 California businesses.

DBAW_s efforts also are central to enhancing boating safety. DBAW staff has historically worked with a variety of other agencies, including the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, the U.S. Power Squadrons, state universities, and schools to enhance boating safety and education, especially for youths just learning aquatic skills. With a boating department in place, this coordination is possible. Without such a department, this level of coordination would suffer and boating safety and education would also likely be reduced.

Clearly there are strong reasons to keep the Department. In addition to these important needs that are met by the Department, I want to emphasis the boating community's satisfaction with the Department and the fact that no General Fund revenues will be saved as reasons to keep the Department together.

For these reasons, I urge you to keep DBAW intact.

Sincerely,
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-10-2004, 8:53 PM Reply   
is this for real?
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2004, 11:09 PM Reply   
if you are going to send that letter to the governor you should probably correct the spelling of emphasis in the last sentence to emphasize
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       05-11-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
I'm just passing on the email I received from USA Waterski. If anyone wants to post with spelling fixed go ahead. My roommate A.J. also posted about this because we are both members of USA Water Ski. Did anyone else get this email?

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/169806.html?1084230211
Old    tutman            05-11-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
I got it.