Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-14-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/179055.html
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-14-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
That is nasty footage!
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       01-14-2005, 6:39 PM Reply   
I just logged on to post those two pictures (Gators with deer du jour in mouth) - Was disappointed that someone beat me to it!
What's interesting is how the www changes things. I received these from someone in Oregon who said these were from Lake Conroe in Conroe TX (instead of Lake Martin). You can never trust anything on the www anymore. I remember somone posting fantastic pictures of what they said was the shuttle burning up (caught by a satelite) - turned out to be frames from a movie several years ago. Who knows? Maybe this isn't an alligator at all (or a deer).

Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       01-17-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
Lloyd,

How's Shaun doing now with his recovery? I haven't been paying attention too much to wakeworld since I moved to the Northeast.
Old    drewsky24            01-17-2005, 1:47 PM Reply   
i just went riding today in biscayne bay (miami)and like 4 or 5 stingrays jumping, and my friend got stung s@*#less.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-17-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
well, not to make a story worse, but think everyone should know this.

In australia there was a recent shark attack on a surfer. The truth is that two sharks attacked a wakeboarder at the end of his set. One threw him in the air, then the other caught him.

The reason they attacked the wakeboarder was because they thought it was a trawler boat pulling some bait (i guess to catch tuna or something).

I don't like stories like that, but i guess we're not all safe!!
Old     (cam)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-17-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
Im from Australia and havent heard that one yet.

There was a shark attack about 2 months ago in Adelaide of a guy out in a boat.
He was out there hanging around with about 4 mates when he was attacked.
His mate jumped overboard for a swim then got back in, then he jumped overboard for a swim and got dragged under.

There were rumours that he was wakeboarding or wakesurfing, but this wasnt the truth at the time. (as far as the media and his friends reported)
They were out in the boat to go skurfing at the time, but the attack happened when they pulled up to have a swim.

I can tell you he definetly didnt get thrown from the water and caught.
He was swimming next to the boat and his friends said all of a sudden he started moving sideways really quickly and dragged under the boat.
There was a little more to it and rumours of two big white sharks sighted that afternoon in the area.

South Australia is quite well known for Jaws sized white pointers along with South Africa, but our sharks dont jump from the water like the ones that live off the coast of South Africa.

-------------------------
http://wake.com.au
-------------------------

(Message edited by cam on January 17, 2005)
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-18-2005, 12:46 AM Reply   
ah, thats probably more of the truth then, i guess it gets blown outta proportion as it gets told
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-18-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
Kinda makes me feel good about living in Washington....oh wait it rained 3 inches last night wiping out most of our snowpack.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-18-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
It's only a matter of time before someone photo shops a wakeboarder into that gator's mouth.

Wow, that shark story really got twisted. I read that thread on the Australian site also and Cameron has it right.

Did anyone ever see that show on Discovery about those white sharks that breach in South Africa? It's awesome. They troll a fake seal behind a boat and film the white sharks launching out of the water attacking it. They only breach in that part of the world because of a deep drop off right off the shore where the seals congregate. When the seals venture out to feed the sharks come full throttle up from the deep.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-18-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
I saw that too it was awesome!! We had a lady killed at our beach a year and a half ago. A 18-20ft Pointer got her while she was swimming 120 feet offshore. It was really bizarre because it happened at the popular family beach, where college kids go to just chill and swim. It's a large inlet that is protected from most swells & is a popular place for open water swimmers, well it used to be.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-18-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
Wild boys on MTV did the whole pulling a fake foam seal through the water also. Its an amazing site!

PS the email i igot said the gator/deer lake was louisiana, haha
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-18-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
Hilts,

are you talking about the lady at Avila??? if so, wasnt she swimming with seals, in an all black wetsuit?? my friend use to surf pismo pier all the time. has not gone out their since....
Old    boofhead            01-18-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
That shark story harry told came from me, I got it from my aussie cousin whose in the UK. but is from Adelaide. His got shark paranioa cos his a bodyboarder (looks like a seal due to the flippers) and surfs in South OZ. The nutter.
Ironically I got told that story after I asked him if there where any places to board in South Oz as Iam probably heading out there for a while soon. If anyone knows anywhere let me know.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       01-18-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
Sean
Thanks for asking - Shaun is doing good with his recovery - it's been long though. He's out riding at the cable (OWC) frequently and he says it feels OK so far.
But his big news is that he's been taking flying lessons and he just soloed last week. And I snuck around so he wouldn't see me - but filmed the whole thing. Seeing as how I'd soloed 40 years ago - that was important to me.... But hey.... the thread police are gonna cut me off because I'm not talking about WB>
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-18-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
The Great Whites also breach right here off the Cali coast near the Farallon islands. I just went to visit the Great White in captivity at the Monterrey Bay aquarium and they had some pics of Whites breaching right off our coast!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-18-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
Thread police cut-off Lloyd? I highly doubt it. I would imagine if there's anyone with carte blance here on WakeWorld it would be wakeboarding's senior ambassador, Murray the elder. But of course, that's just my own biased opinion.

And so the thread police don't accuse ME of hijacking the thread, I'm glad New Jersey doesn't have any hungry gators. The worst we have to worry about in salt water Turtle Cove are angry stepped-on blue claw crabs, small skates (sting rays), and the occasional oyster cracker. The evil stinging jelly fish stay out in the ocean.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-18-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
Christie, I was wathcing a progrma on Discovey about 6 months ago and it only took about 2 minutes after they started dragging the fake seal and an 18 ft great white breeched. It was only a few hunder feet off shore. Those suckers scare me to death
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-18-2005, 8:19 PM Reply   
Woops, I type to fast, that was the cali coast around SanFran
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-19-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
Interesting, Christie. At the time of the show I saw on it they had only been known to breach around that island in South Africa. Maybe, that was just the training grounds back then and now they'll do it where ever a seal (or something that looks like a seal) is present. Seems like an effect method of attack.

Actually, come to think of it I saw a story about a surfer in Nor-Cal that was narrowly missed by a white shark that lunged up out of the water trying to attack him. I guess we'll never know whether or not the shark realized at the last second that this wasn't his prey or if the guy just got really lucky and the shark missed it's mark. It was kind of funny - not really, but a couple of his bros in the lineup that saw it were shaken up worse than he was. He probably paddled out in the same spot a week later.
Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-19-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Daniel & David - We kind of highjacked this thread with Great White info (sorry, "it's cold here"), but check out this thread. I have been seriously considering this trip!!

http://www.greatwhiteadventures.com/destinations.html

There is a testimony from someone who said they saw a great white breach off the Farallons, but I couldn't find any pics. All of the pics I found were taken in South Africa!!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-19-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
Eh, who cares about the hijack. We've all seen that gator pic and "it's cold here" hasn't been back anyway. Plus, Harry started it. lol

That would be an awesome dive. I can't believe that the waters around Isla Guadalupe have over 100 feet of visiblity...that's incredible. I wanna go fishing there.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-19-2005, 11:24 AM Reply   
Yeah the lady in Avila was doing her normal morning swim. She was wearing a wetsuit & fins & was surrounded by a group of seals, not her fault. Of course the sneaky pinnipeds booked out as soon as they saw the shark, leaving one slow "seal" left.