Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    yellowdog            06-18-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
Have any of you DIY guys or gals made a prop puller out of a C-clamp. . . Or any other methods???
Old     (chane)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-18-2004, 12:44 PM Reply   
Made one like this for free and it worked great!

http://www.alberg37.org/Newsletters/Vol13-no2-Spring-2003/vol-13-no2-Spring-2003.htm

(Message edited by chane on June 18, 2004)
Old    yellowdog            06-21-2004, 8:53 AM Reply   
Thanks Chane!!! That looks easier then my idea.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-21-2004, 5:58 PM Reply   
chane,
That is a nice design. I sure wish I'd had that instead of the traditional one that looks like a "C" clamp.
I needed to change my prop once and decided to do it while the boat was on a Hydro Hoist. I made it and didn't loose anything but when the prop "Pops" off from the press on, wow is all I can say. I was lucky not to drop anything.
Seriously, you might be able to market that!
Good luck,
D out
www.NVS1.net
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
Once upon a time I pulled a prop with 3 C-clamps and a 4"x4" piece of steel. Took forever, but got the job done...
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-22-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
I would rather have the "C clamp" style prop puller....

Once upon a time I was in the middle of Lake Powell and just destroyed the prop on the inboard. It is like 50 miles to the nearest marina with a ramp to haul out and the boat was not drivable the way it was (it would barely idle along). We had a spare prop, and the home made puller, so we decided to give it a go.

We tied a rope to the prop (to catch it when it popped) and to the cresent wrench used to tighten the big nut. It was all the little pieces that was a bitch.

The home made unit has to be assembled on the prop, which means you have to work underwater if the boat can't be hauled. It wasn't easy to get the plates in the right position and three long bolts started while holding your breath. If I had dropped any of the pieces they would have been gone for good, it was DEEP!.

Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-22-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
You can just leave the nut on the end of the shaft and it will allow the prop to pop loose without falling off.

Daniel