Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-15-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
So I'm in Orlando staying with Cobe Mikacich. I got a call from him this afternoon saying that someone broke into his house. Luckily a neighbor noticed a strange looking guy walking out of the house with a black bag in his hand (My camera bag) The neighbors started walking toward him asking if he knew the name of the owner of the house. He got really sketchy and started running. My camera bag weighs around 40 lbs. He decided he couldn't get away while carrying the bag, dropped it and started running. Unfortunately he got away with a canine unit chasing him. When I pulled up to Cobes house, my camera bag was sitting in the middle of the culdesac next to a police cruiser. The officer asked me to describe the contents of the bag and I got all my gear back. How lucky was that? I have approximately $12,000 worth of gear in my bag. Someone was looking out for me today. To say the least, I am BBQing this weekend for the neighbors and the food and beer are on me!
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-15-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
damn gina! Lucky!!!!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-15-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
woooohooooo, you must have done something right in the past to get this type of treatment.
Old    walt            10-15-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
You were just a few seconds away from loosing your gear. I'm glad you didn't !
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-15-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
Fractions of a second.....
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-15-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
dang... too bad theres not more stories like these... you for sure got lucky
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-15-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
Good to hear Steven
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-15-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
No kidding huh Randy? We would have been SOL next week!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-15-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
HOLY SMOKES.... Good story and GREAT ending.

Icing on the cake, your response to the neighbor. Not something that is needed, but nice.... We need more nice nowadays.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-15-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
Karma! Good things come to good people.
Old     (el_rey_de_zapatos)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-15-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
I've seen your pictures, you would have been better off. JK buddy, big weekend I hear planned with the boys. I got the all weekend hall pass. The Mikker is talking a big game.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-15-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
See the reason is tommarow your going to shoot a cover shot.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-15-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
I hate thieves.
I'm glad the scum didn't get away with anything.
It's just unfortunate that the dog didn't catch him and serve some instant justice.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-15-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
I thought your stuff was going to be damaged or something, but glad to hear everything is ok!
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-15-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
I thought your stuff was going to be damaged or something, but glad to hear everything is ok!
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-15-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Good story Hahnsel.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-15-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
You owe his neighbors your first born after that act!

Glad you got it all back and in one piece
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-16-2008, 6:18 AM Reply   
"strange looking guy walking out of the house"

What type of neighborhood is this? I'm assuming it was in the daylight hours??

Hopefully the canine officer let his partner chew on the P.O.S for a while before he called him off.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
that's great you got the stuff back and that the equipment wasn't damaged when he dropped it! now we'll all be expecting some pics soon!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-16-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Do photogs insure their gear usually?

Lucky!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-16-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Glad to hear they didn't get your gear Steve.
Unfortunately last week, some fricken thieves stole both my air conditioner units from the side of my shop, 6 grand a piece!
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-16-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Good to hear you gear is still working. I'm not surprised though it's rough just down the street from where Cobe lives. I use to live over there and you get these dirt balls walking through the community all the time. I had 2 bikes stolen over there in a year.
Old     (cathyws)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-16-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
What!/! No invite to the BBQ?! Hey Stoked you got your bag back! That would have sucked ..if you want to ride just ring Ill pick you up on the lake
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       10-16-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
Nice! Glad you got it back! Tell Cobe I said "Hi!" I went to the same High School as him in Sacramento.

I had something similar like that happen a few weeks ago.

So...I live in a big house in a decent W. Hollywood neighborhood (although there are stragglers that wander through every once in a while) and have a picket fenced in yard and big porch under an overhang.

A few weeks ago, since gas has been so high, I decided to pull out my mountain bike...nothing special...I think I paid under $200 for it, but nonetheless, I decided that leaving it on the front porch (turned upside down) would be fine...Afterall, who would have the balls to come inside the fence of a house where six dudes live. Also, my beagle "Buddy" is a great guard dog and barks and anything out of the ordinary.

Well 10pm on Saturday, I'm in the backyard with Buddy drinking a beer and he starts barking like crazy. I told him to quiet down and put him in the house...he ran straight to the front door and kept barking...rather than going inside to check it out, I told my roomate to look and see if someone was there...he took a little while and eventually looked out the window and didn't see anyone.

Next day...bike was gone.. Oh well...that's what I get for being naive I guess.

Well...two weeks later, I'm pulling out of the driveway and this dude is pushing a shopping cart with my bike on top of it...I jumped out and said..."That's my F&@#ing bike!" he said "Oh...I just bought it." I said "B&%%s#@t, it was stolen off my porch a few weeks ago." The guys was obviously scared I was gonna beat him down or call the law or both...He said "Oh...sorry!" and I grabbed my bike and put it in the house.

One of the pedals was broken, so I'm thinking maybe he didn't steal it and just found it somewhere after whomever stole it ditched it because it was broken...either way...I'm stoked I got it back and definitely won't be leaving it on the front porch ever again! HA!

(Was kinda hoping the guy would've resisted a little...it's been a while, but I can still beat a dude if I need to! HA!)
Old     (cmcathy1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-16-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
You got really lucky, I would take this as a sign that you need to insure your gear.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-16-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
My gear is insured but I still have a $750 deductible.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-16-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
As for the Insurance, in Hahn's case, it's more the hastle of going through everything after the fact with the insurance company, and not having your gear for the shoot. That's awesome, I really hope my gear never gets stolen
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-16-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
There was this kid at my school whose car got got jacked by some guy. He just put it on a trailer and left, and the funny thing is the neighbor saw the whole thing and did nothing. Good thing they weren't your neighbors.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-16-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
IT IS NOT JUST HOMELESS POOR PEOPLE WHO STEAL.
To make a impromptu slider, I floated a kayak upside down right out in front of a cabin 20 feet from the dock where there were two other kayaks up on shore. The kayak was anchored to the bottom of the lake so it would stay in place. I took a set in a wind protected cove and then motioned for the driver to head back to try the kayak. I set up outside the wake and then we all kind of looked at each other perplexed because kayak was gone. A neighbor said he saw someone on a SeaDoo towing it off. We set out and combed 4 miles of cove asking anyone we saw about it...nothing. Decided to comb back on the opposite shoreline having almost given up and then we saw it. As we approached, I commented to another guy that we were going to be especially civil because there were kids (12 yr old boys) in the boat. We stopped at their dock and I walked up. A lady was sitting in a lawn chair and I said, "Hey, is it ok if I take back my kayak?". She stammered, "My husband found that and we were going to take out an ad in the paper to find the owner". Any talk of civility went out the window as I yanked up my kayak which still had the 20 ft. rope with anchor on it and said, "your husband didn't find it, HE STOLE IT!!!" I might have clipped one of their ceramic yard statues as I walked back to the boat. I really just wanted to unhook their dock and start towing it away. As we left the husband came running down (with shaving cream all over his face) yelling that he found it and was going to make all effort to find the owner (by towing it 4 miles away on the other side of the lake). I seldom get upset but this really offended my notions of right and wrong.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-17-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
Just an update, I shot some great stuff this morning of Danny Harf, Chad Sharpe, Shane Bonifay and Shawn Watson. Couldn't have done it if someone wasn't watching out for me.

Hahn
Old    walt            10-17-2008, 6:32 PM Reply   
I'll be looking for your shots next month.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-17-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
Steven what day are you getting back to AZ.? Weather is looking good for next week
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-17-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
BAD ASS!! im big into photography so i know how much money it costs. congradulations on that
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-18-2008, 5:46 AM Reply   
Randy I'm back Sunday night.
Old     (proimages)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-20-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
glad you got your stuff back!

I shoot as well and always sweat when my car is loaded up..

cheers
D
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-22-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
Welcome to Orlando...

I hide EVERYTHING that is small and can be picked up and carried out or put in a bag.
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
heres one for ya steven...
so im staying the night with my friends who live in cobes other house on the same lake about a month and a half ago.... i wake up and both my slingshots that were in the back seat were gone (full set ups) and my i pod.

20 min ago i get a phone call from sean obrien telling me that the dude is selling my boards on craigslist right now with the stickers still on it and everything.... so i call the cops and now they are on their way over so i can get my stuff back.

boo yah!!
Old     (proimages)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-23-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
Nice!!!
Good luck!!
Glad to hear great stories like that..!!
cheers
D
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-23-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
kaesen, I wanna hear the outcome of this one, keep us a breast eh?....

boo yah! is right.
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
oh i will. this dude is from the hood and clearly doesnt wakeboard. hahaha. i mean come on, there is a picture of him holding them up with my sponsors stickers still on there. hahha
Old     (bucnoles)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-23-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
Looks like a steal for someone!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/spo/890610602.html
Old     (bcm88)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-23-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
http://orlando.craigslist.org/spo/890610602.html
Looks like rider of the year.....
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-23-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
Wonder what length he rides at? My guess is his rope is about to get a lot shorter.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-23-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
The interesting thing is.....

There is already a mugshot available for the popo's to look at. :-) Talking about an idiot.
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
cop just left now. sounds like it will be a while for this to happen if it does. looks like im going to have to pack up my glocks and head over to the hood. hahaha yeah right!
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
ps. the cop was a total babe.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-23-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
^^^

Pictures!!!! :-)
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
yeah thats the first thing i did, "hey cop, your hot! can i take a picture with you" come on. hahaha
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-23-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
I was joking with ya... Someone had to do it.
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
haha i know. its all good.
well lets hope i get that stuff back cause i would really like to give those boards to people who will actually use them.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-23-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
Very true....