Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-04-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
I had the stereo installed before this summer with wet sounds rev 8s and a new kicker amp. When i turn the rado up for the rider it tends to "skip" or short out. Why is this?
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-04-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
The capacitor might be heating and tripping.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-04-2012, 1:46 PM Reply   
Turn bass down on stereo and/or turn loud or boost off
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-04-2012, 1:53 PM Reply   
what model amp? How many REV8? Is the amp going into protection? Where is the gain on the amp set at? Are the speakers distorting when this happens? You may be clipping the system and the amp is going into protection.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-04-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
Is it the headunit or the amps tripping?

Most times it'll trip at high power output from the wire gage being too small.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-04-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
low voltage?

which would cause the amp to go into protection.

Who installed the stereo system?
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-04-2012, 3:52 PM Reply   
Local supra dealer did the install it seems the head unit is what is tripping . All is new this year. There are only 2 rev 8s. I thought it
May be the head unit so i installed a new
One and the issue still seems
To be there. I am not too famous with stereo systems
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-04-2012, 4:18 PM Reply   
which amp? Take a look at the model and take a pic of the settings and post it up

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-04-2012, 4:44 PM Reply   
Knowing that you have only a pair of tower speaker is a good start. We need to know what amp.

Does the boat have any other amps, or are the in-boats driven off the head-unit? Are you experiencing any issues with the in-boats? Turning the head-unit up past 3/4 volume runs the risk of clipping the signal going to the amp. This can result in what you may be experiencing. Also, having the amp's cross-over filter set to Full-Pass, rather then High-Pass, can also result in some unpleasant side effects when the volume is turned up. Inputting too mush bass from the head-unit will as well. Poor MP3 downloads can also result in some crappy sounds. The type of amp and/or how its wire can lead to overheating and thermal shutdown. There should be a green light on the amp that goes out and a red light that comes on if the amp is going into protect mode.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-05-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
Ill check this out and post back later tonight
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-05-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
Had the same thing happen to me, mine turned out to be the subwoofer being shorted out somehow, have never had that happen to me. So then my car audio place replaces the sub and a week later my 6 channel JL fried.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-05-2012, 2:50 PM Reply   
Taylor,
A failed amplifier shortly after a failed woofer isn't so unusual. If the sub's voice coil insulating enamel coating has been cooking then the amplifier transformer windings enamel coating can be burning too. I've seen amplifiers that got so hot that transformers have come un-soldered from the circuit board and were loose rattling around inside the chassis.

David
Earmark Marine