Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-14-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
Hi,

fell in love with snowboarding last season and want to get my own gear.

i ride a liquid force watson and it is the most balanced board i have found - does any LF watson riders know of a comparable snowboard ?
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       11-14-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
????????? I dont think any snowboard will balance as well as a wakeboard behind a boat.............:\
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-14-2009, 6:13 PM Reply   
I started riding my watson toward the end of this season and loved it. The watson has great feel under the feet....it'll be my 4th season snowboarding and i think what u prob mean by balanced board is a board you can take in the park, high speed stability, steep terrain, great powder float, and good ollie power. Of course as we all know, no board will give you the best of everything. But what i do suggest first of all is getting a board with reverse camber/rocker. Is the new thing that a lot of the companies are doing with their snowboards and there is a reason for that, ITS THE SH!+!!!! You can honestly find a board to suit your needs from any higher end company. I would look at the Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix or Lib Tech Mark Landvik Phoenix (both of them are same boards with only difference being sizes and graphics). K2 makes some awesome boards with great pricing and have many different options as far as what kinda rocker you want. I'd suggest the K2 Parkstar or Darkstar. I just chose a Never Summer Revolver over a Lib Tech Skate banana because i wanna ride park, but I also want that high speed stability and ollie power that you get with the never summer. The Skate Bananas are known for being pretty "chattery" at higher speeds. Never Summer boards have a rocker and camber setup. Its rocker between the bindings and has a very smal micro-camber outside of the bindings to maintain the high speed stability while still having that powder float. There's a lot of great snowboard out there man, it takes some research to see what you want as far as the materials a board is built with, flex, and shape of the board. I'd look at Lib Tech, GNU, Nitro, Never Summer, K2, Ride, and maybe Burton if you wanna spend more than what the board is really worth. Burton is made outside of the u.s. by machines, i like hand built boards made in the U.S. personally. Goo luck!
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-14-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
Like Codi said, there isn't one board that does everything perfect. My advise is to decide what type of riding you like to do and seek out a board that suits that type of riding. I wouldn't worry so much about buying a board that isn't hand made. We don't buy handmade TV's and clothing do we? At least I don't. Another option is to try demoing a few boards. Most good shops will let you demo a board for say $20 and if you buy from them they will apply the money you spent on the demo towards the purchase price.

This is just my $.02, so take it for what it's worth. Welcome to the sport and if you are ever in North Idaho, hit me up.
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-15-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Jae is right about figuring out where you'll ride on the mountain most and start from there. The reason I mentioned handmade is because typically with handmade products, quality is more present. Especially when it comes to equipment that will go through years of rigorous use, unlike a television.
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       11-15-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
looks like im the A hole...i see now what you meant by "balanced" ha..my bad! codi is trippin he rides ski's........just kiddin codi, well anyway these guys pretty much summed it up, if you can demo then do that for sure! shops put on demo days at local mountains so hopefuly you can catch one of those...and other than that research research research! codi probably went through every single one of those boards he mentioned before he finaly chose 2...that finaly turned into 1 ha! so read about the boards and see which one sounds most fun to YOU! good luck! youll have fun on any board..its SNOWBOARDING
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-15-2009, 10:26 PM Reply   
michael is right...he was getting pretty annoyed at my indecisiveness, it was outta control because i didnt know wtf to get cause there's so much good product out there. But overyones opinions about boards are different so like michael said, gotta do research yourself!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-16-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
hey guys - thanks for the tips. its just a bit confusing being a newbie.

there are wide boards, freemountin, etc...

again - many thanks !!