Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-19-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
I am currently trying to decide which one to go with. I did the 30 day trial with Lightroom first, and am now about 2 weeks in on the Aperture 30 day trial. So far it is a complete black and white decision for me to go with Aperture. However, looking around the internet its about a 50/50 split of opinions. What am I missing? I can't, for life of me, figure out why you would go with Aperture, aside from the price.

(Message edited by alans on December 19, 2008)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-19-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
have you thought about photoshop cs3?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-19-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
Yea I use Photoshop CS3, and Bridge CS3 but they are no good for managing and importing
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-19-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Lr and Ps work seamlessly together too.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-19-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I own Apple stock but no Adobe stock - is that enough of a reason?

Upload

I tried LR when it first came out, which was well after Aperture was released at the time I saw no real advantage to it over Aperture. At this point, both packages have matured a lot and without using Lightroom extensively it would be tough to say what advantages either one has. I do know that I much prefer Apple's default RAW conversion settings over Adobe's and I find it's easier to get accurate color prints using Aperture vs CS3 as well.

Over the long haul I believe Apple will continue to add photoshop type capabilities to Aperture as fast as they can without getting Adobe too riled up. If you look at the history of final Cut Pro you'll see the same type of evolution.

Bottom line is I don't think you can go too far wrong with either. I've put the time in with Aperture so short of some huge advantage in LR I won't be switching.