Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    clint_h            05-08-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
Whose got them and how much power do these need? I read that they sound best between 100 and 230 watts. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old    whitechocolate            05-08-2003, 1:35 PM Reply   
Hey Clint: I got your E-mail I will respond to you hear, so that if other people have a coment they can know what we are talking about. For your X-9, I don't know how to tell you to do what your trying to do on a Budjet?

There seems to be alot of people trying to do what your building. To answer your Question I would suguest running The a Amp that will give you at least 250 watts for your b-530's Per channel. Look for a amp that's like 125 Watt's Per channel in 4 Ohm's That will translate into 200 to 250 watts in 2 Ohms that's what the B-530's run in 2 Ohm's. I know you will proably add another amp later on for more speakers so I would sugues getting a Big 4 channel amp Like the "PPI 4125" that way when you add more spekers later on you will have the ability to expand your system with no problem. Then get a 2nd amp Like a 5 channel to run the hull speakers the 5th channel can be your "Sub" and a fader that way you can blend between the tower and hull
I hope that answers your question's
G
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-08-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   

Go at least 200W. 200W is good, 250W is best.
Old    clint_h            05-08-2003, 2:08 PM Reply   
So would a JL Audio 300/2 which is 150 W at 4 ohms really be equivalent to 300W at 2 ohms? I don't get the whole idea of Ohm's law. I don't hear many people give a whole lot of props to JL amps. Would this be a good choice for these speakers?

I also had the idea of running the stock clarion amp 4.400 to the 530s and buying a 5 channel amp for the hull speakers and sub. Has anybody tried this route?
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-08-2003, 3:03 PM Reply   
yea i was curious about that too clint. right now, i have the stock clarion amp running two sets of tower speakers. i can definitely hear it behind my boat, but i think i am gonna change it up a little. it is currently running a pair of B530's and a pair of B60's. i dont know if that answers anything since i have 2 sets of tower speakers, but they are all running off the one stock clarion.
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-08-2003, 3:36 PM Reply   
I'll chime in on the JL amps.... I run them and they pretty much kick ass. JL put in a feature that makes the amp put out the same power no matter omh load so 1.5 to 8 ohm same output. As far as ratings go when JL says 500/1 its 500watts rms and then some. We rated 2 500/1's on a meter and they came out at 695watts and 714watts. I hear that the classAB amps(300/2,300/4,etc.) rate about the same way. So if you use a 300/2 you'll probably see about 200watts per channel. Best part is this amp is small compared to other amps putting that much out. I happen to also like the PPI amps and i hear good things about P.G. and kicker. Keep in mind not all amps put out good clean power below 4 ohms. I just went to infinity kappa's on my tower and I have a 300/4 ready to pwr them. Is that enough? I'll find out this weekend, just remember that 200 watts to one guy might be different to another. If you get a good amp putting out a true 300watts at 2 ohms to 1 speaker that speaker is gonna be toast( a few speakers can handle that but not many), 300watts at 2ohms to 2 speakers is only 150 watts to each speaker( more then enough most of the time). Bottom line with JL amps ohms don't really make a difference.
Hope that all makes sense?
Old    wetnwildaudio            05-09-2003, 1:05 AM Reply   
i just installed ppi pcx 2200 to the b-530s and it is loud as hell and so clear
but that could also be because of the 6 componant 6.5" and kappa perfect 12" and the other 2 ppi amps
i recomend trying the 2150(might be a 2125?) the 2200 has more than enough power
Old    wetnwildaudio            05-09-2003, 1:11 AM Reply   
oh ya and thats right JL amp are truly some of the best built amp around but, the constant power output makes itself a pain in the ass if you want it to double its power at 2 ohms like most amps do.
also they run hotter and use more amperage when they see lower voltages