Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-21-2011, 8:46 PM Reply   
I've been thinking about buying a cheap wakeskate to practice some new tricks and hopefully limit the bad crashes this next summer. Just wondering if anyone else does this and if it's a good practice technique? I've never ridden a wakeskate and don't really know how much differently they handle compared to a wakeboard. Also, does anyone have any recommendations on a pretty cheap wakeskate?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-21-2011, 9:15 PM Reply   
I know at the wakeboard schools they teach people raley's on a wakeskate but not sure what other tricks could be learned on one.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-21-2011, 9:37 PM Reply   
I do... Edge to bail... How about proper coaching and just stick the tricks!!! Get video if you follow through and post up!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-21-2011, 10:14 PM Reply   
Brock,

I actually find them extremely helpful to teach people how to handlepass at slower speeds. That or a Roam.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-22-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
I asked this question before and realized a raley was the only trick that benefited from a wakeskate.

Slow down and shorten the rope seems to work best. If working on handle passes on the surface take your center fins out to spin easier. Like Ben said a Roam can be helpful in that also... but if you have never ridden a wakeskate it can seem quite a bit different in foot placement, edging, stability, etc. You might end up throwing yourself off more trying the same trick from skate to board.

That said.. getting a wakeskate is still a fun thing to have on the boat. I only like pulling mine out when its total glass and I just want to skate around on the surface and do some spins, but its a cool feeling for sure.
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-22-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
raley thats it.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-22-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
How do you use a wakeskate to practice a raley? Isn't that when you super-man or something? Wouldn't that just leave the board in the water and you flying through the air with nothing to land on?
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-22-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
Yes but its all about trying to pull yourself down for the landing and land feet first... so if you end up coming down knees first it won't make your eyeballs pop out of your head... lol
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-22-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
yes, but it allows you to get your feet back under you so you don't catch your board. It allows for a "nicer" landing so you don't get hurt. Hers a random youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOTDw...eature=related
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       02-22-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
Ah, okay thanks.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-22-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
Whatever you do, don't try it like this...

Fast forward to about 1:10 in the video, unless you want to watch the rider try to sack up....

Didn't work though!
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-22-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
I say new tricks, but I'm actually pretty new to the sport so I'm not near the level of a raley or anything like that yet. I just started about halfway through last summer and am just going W2W at this point with an occasional sketchy 180. I just didn't know if it would help limit the bad crashes when working on some 360's or backrolls or things of that nature, which are my goals for this next summer... Also, another reason I was considering it is because my younger sister loves riding my board and can ride it pretty well but she's scared to go w2w after seeing me catch a lip on the landing a few times. I didn't know if this might make her more comfortable knowing that she won't crash as bad?
Old     (Erik2393)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-22-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
I actually used one of the original hyperlite wakeboards when i started to learn raleys. It was one shaped like a surfboard with the bungee straps for bindings. Hahaha I just took those off and rode it without bindings. Worked pretty well untill the board flew off my feet wrong and almost landed on my head. (could have been bad since it was older it still had the 6 inch fins on it). Other than raleys i couldn't see it working well for learning other tricks. Maybe a lil with spins so you could get the handle pass down.