Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-05-2005, 12:33 AM Reply   
Hello. We live in Knoxville, TN. We have been frequenting Fort Loudon due to it's nearby location. We are wanting to visit Norris but we have no idea where to put in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Plus, if anyone in Knoxville knows of a better place to ride than the Concord area, please give us a hint. The water at Concord is just too full of recreational boaters.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2005, 12:52 AM Reply   
Not sure of good places @ Norris, but I put in all down the river. There is a great, always butter, location I go to. I don't mind sharing as it's huge, but just go down like you're going towards Chattanooga. Get off at the Loudon exit, take a right, you'll go over a little bridge and the road will veer sharply to the left. Just around the corner is a gravel parking lot with two concrete ramps (the ramp is denoted by a sign on the side of the road, you really can't miss it). There isn't another dock for miles in either direction there, and about 90% of all the boats are fishing. Honest to goodness, there has NOT been a single day I've gone out there and it wasn't butter. I'll try to find a pic, it's great.

It's about 30 minutes down from Knoxville, but it's worth the drive if you're going to make a day of it.

I was in Concord a couple of weekends ago with Matt and Jeff, we went down around the bluff and the water was pretty good (for Concord). The bluff blocked off alot of the wind.

Definatey don't put into Lenoir City, it's a haven for jet ski's and the way-too-rich Tellico Village-yacht club. If you absolutely have to, go on a cloudy, Saturday morning and you'll have pretty good water. We're spoiled here though, this "pretty good water" could probably be considered heaven to some people. Anywhere around the city of Loudon is usually good water also.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2005, 12:53 AM Reply   
Oh, or you could just give me a call and I could show you the dock and I'll bum a ride on that X-2 of yours ;) haha
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-05-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
Cody,

I think that's where we went the other day with Al. That was the most amazing water I've ever ridden period -- and with my job I've wakeboarded all over the US. Let's hook up again.

James,

We've got a boat at Concord and we ride a couple times a week. Let's hook up. Give me a call any time 865.582.2200

Matt Guilford
Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-05-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
Thanks to both Cody and Matt.

We went to Concord on Sat and Sun. For the third day of the weekend we decided wtf, and went to Norris just to go exploring. We had a map, but we no idea where to put in. We were kind of amazed at the lack of "substantial" ramps with regards to parking. But, it was nice to see the steeper ramps which I find so much easier to use. Granted, we only went by 4 and I am sure that there are better. But, man ole man, I do not think it really matters where you put in; that was the nicest water and scenery. This was the first time that we have actually managed to board on near perfect butter.

I have to admit that we are new to the sport. We are a family of four: myself, my wife, 8 year old daughter, and 4 year old son. The wife and I are progressing well and our daughter is doing fantastic. But, it was so freakin nice to be able to concentrate on our bording without having to battle constant choppy water. It is too bad that we took so long to decide on a place to put in that we only had about 3 hours on the water.

But, needless to say, it is going to cost to much to make Norris our "home" lake. So, Cody, we might give your recommendation a shot soon.

Otherwise, we would love to get in touch with both of you guys as long as you do not mind going to the lake with a family. In addition to boarding we have to take breaks to allow the kids to just swim around some. I am unsure if we will be able to make it out on Sat and definately not on Sun (I have to work). Uunfortunately, since the kids are back in school the weekdays are not possible.

Matt, I will try to call you this week just to touch base. Cody, (or Matt) our phone number is 865-693-1563. We would always welcome a 3rd, 4th, etc.

James
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
Sounds awesome James. I try to ride all the time, heck, I'd ride every day if I had a pull. I'm relatively new to the sport as well, and it's alot of learning.

Yea, there is definately amazing water out here if you just know where to go.

Feel free to call me anytime to go ride. The weekends are usually free (only exception is the home-football games, which we won't be having for like 3 weeks now). My weekdays are usually free after noon on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and after 2 on Tuesday and Thursday. I know you said weekdays were out of the question, but I figured I'd put that out there

Yea Matt, we definately need to hook up again. Feel free to call me anytime.

865-680-2639
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-06-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
Just got back from Norris. Hit up Shanghai Marina right off Hunters Branch road in LaFollet. They were awesome while we were there. I know there is good water about 20 minutes away and I have heard there is more in the opposite direction. Their facilities are awesome!

Eric
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-06-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
James, I'm Matt's father. We have a Supra SSV at Concord marina, and several of us go riding whenever we can.

You actually can get some fairly decent water around Concord marina, especially at this time of year (i.e., after school has started). But, you have to time it right (like last Saturday morning, which was near perfect for a couple of hours).

It would be great to get out there with you. If Matt can't make arrangements that work for you, I'll give you a call.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-06-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
James, I'm Matt's father. We have a Supra SSV at Concord marina, and several of us go riding whenever we can.

You actually can get some fairly decent water around Concord marina, especially at this time of year (i.e., after school has started). But, you have to time it right (like last Saturday morning, which was near perfect for a couple of hours).

It would be great to get out there with you. If Matt can't make arrangements that work for you, I'll give you a call.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       09-06-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
i'll jump in too! i live in knoxville & try to ride @ 2 or 3 times a week. jeff is definitely correct about hitting the lake at the right time. usually turkey creek isnt too bad until @ 10:30 am. if anyone wants to ride, give me a call at 865-384-2376. i've got a supra 21v and keep it on the lake.

jeff, thanks for the great time on saturday! too bad matt, cody, & dale couldnt make it. they missed out on some prime riding. we should all hook up soon. give me a call.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-06-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
Chuck! I'm really looking at Friday afternoon 1:30 or 2 p.m. Maybe again on Saturday morning at 8:30 (ish -- like I'd actually be there on time) depending on how bad/how often I bite it on Friday. Any and all are welcome -- bring a friend.

Also, James, FWIW, the guys posting on this thread are a pretty classy bunch, and they can definitely maintain a family-friendly setting.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-06-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
I may be going to Cleveland, TN this Friday and Saturday. I'm on the UT wakeboard team now and we're hosting a competition down there, and I think I may be driving. :-( :-(

I can definately maintain a family friendly behavior :-) We'll definatey have to do it sometime soon. I really wish I could go this weekend. I totally forgot about the competition. I really like the SSV & Crew, can't wait to get out next. I may be able to squirm outta this competition, but I think this girl is dependent on me to be able to go and I really want her to go.

Blah, we'll see. You all have fun, even though you won't get me to laugh at, haha.
Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-06-2005, 9:21 PM Reply   
Man, this is awesome. Thanks for all of the replies.

We usually hit the area on the other side of the second bridge form Concord. I am unsure of what it is called. We did go once on a Wed. and it was desolate. Unfortunately, the impending thunderstorms brought out some stiff winds. Otherwise, we found a nice little cove on the otherside of the lake from Carl Cowen park that if it is unoccupied is really nice.

We put in at the Sugar Hollow ramp on Norris. Although we cruised around the lake and saw Shanghai and Springs, we ended up in the cove just to the left of Sugar Hollow. It was awesome. About 3/4 to 1 mile of pure heaven. I have talked to one of my friends whom I work with and he plugged a few more places on Norris. But, Norris is something we will do on special ocassions for now.

Any of you guys like buffalo wings? If I cooked up a mess of wings on like a Friday night would you guys like to come over to our house and have some wings and beverages? Just to give you a idea of where we live, it is just across the "Pike" from West Town Mall.

Let me know if you are interested. We might be able to do it this Friday or next Friday.

James
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2005, 2:42 PM Reply   
matt, i'm in for friday. i'm normally done with work @ 12:00pm on thursday & friday. give me a call tomorrow to firm everything up. we can take my boat if u want, u can check it out & see what u think.
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-07-2005, 4:02 PM Reply   
Chuck -- I'm in! I'll call you tomorrow.

James -- Getting together sounds like a great idea! I'm just off Cedar Bluff and Jeff is over off Westland, so we're both close.

There's another WW guy I was just talking today, named Adam Larkin. He's your about age with a little girl, too. He was just saying that he'd like to just hang out with some of the wakeboarders in town.

I'll let others chime in on what works for them, but I think it's a great idea.

Also, the area you went to sounds like Turkey Creek. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, TC can be awesome riding, especially on weekdays and weekend mornings. It's our most frequent spot. But if the wind is from the west, it gets blown out pretty quickly. In that case you can head just upriver from Concord, where there's a great bluff that really protects the water from the wind. You can hug the shoreline for about a half mile or more and have butter. That doesn't work when there's a lot of river traffic though.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-07-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
Marine Outfitters in Charleston, TN is having a tournament on Sunday sponsored by Supra. Several Supra employees will be down with new boats. Call 423-336-1088 for more information.
Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-07-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
Sounds good Matt. I do not think we will be able to do it this weekend. But, I will look in to next week for Friday, 16Sep. In any case, I will give you guys a phone call.

I looked at our map and it appears that we have been working on Little Turkey Creek. Turkey Creek actually goes under the railroad bridge. Are you guys going underneath that bridge? Also, I think that the bluff you have mentioned is the one with the rope swing. Now, if you go past that bluff and across from Carl Cowen is Poland Creek with a campground at the back. It is usually fairly smooth but short. If we get fed up with the water on LTC we go to Poland.

Feel free to give my contact information to Mr. Larkin or see if he does not mind you giving his to me.

I wish that I did not have to work this weekend. Looks like it is going to be georgous weather. Might have to see if I can sneak out on Saturday afternoon. Shhhh, don't tell anyone I said that.

I look forward to meeting you guys at some point in the near future.
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2005, 5:15 AM Reply   
I didn't know Joyce was having a tournament this Sunday, hope I can see some of you there.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-08-2005, 12:54 PM Reply   
if any of you guys are going out this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon and don't care for someone else to come let me know.

hill@utk.edu
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-08-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
Should have came out yesterday, Justin. I've never seen so many people in that Prostar. Had 12 in and two 500 pound sacs.

(Message edited by loudontn on September 08, 2005)
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
j hill,
you're welcome in my boat. i'm still waiting to hear from matt to see if we're going. give me a call at 384-2376.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-08-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
cody, i talked to tyler and he said it wasn't worth coming out for. i guess because there was so many i probably wouldn't have gotten to ride. we tried to go today but they took the boat down to the ski tournament site or something. how was the wake yesterday?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-09-2005, 6:39 AM Reply   
I didn't get to ride at all, me and this girl I was with showed up late. She got to slolam, but I didn't even ask to go. Bunch of us just hung out on the shore and swam, lol. The wake looked sick though, Pat rode it and said it was solid.

You comin this weekend?
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
nah man. i only go to a few wakeboard tournaments. so i don't care anything about going to a ski tournament. i have been to the same tournament a couple years ago though. have a good time-hit the jump.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-09-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
Ahh cool cool. I hear it'll be alot of fun, riding or not. Hope to ride with ya again soon.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-11-2005, 1:45 PM Reply   
chuck j goes big
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       09-11-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
haha!! don't let him fool you, j hill is a natural born ripper! dude, i've never seen anyone throw down like that in person. thanks for putting on the clinic. let me know if you wanna ride this week. i forgot to get your phone number, so just give me a call. you & tom are welcome anytime.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-16-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
Anyone going out this afternoon (Friday) or Saturday ? It's my first non-busy weekend in a long time. I was going to Kentucky with the team but I've recently decided to take it easy this weekend and not go. I'm fiending for a pull, if anyone is going out give me a call at 865-680-2639 . I'll always put in on gas too.