Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-28-2010, 4:59 PM Reply   
Hi,

I have a sony 4 channel 600w amp. I have 4 sony speakers on my boat (40w) and 2 alpines (50w). All are 4 ohms.

Can i mix those on the amp without issues or damaging the amp? how would you do it?

thanks
Old     (Lotus24)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-29-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
The question is is your amp 2ohm stable?
To run 2 (4ohm) speakers off of one channel it will drop the amp to two ohms. Many amps can take this, some cannot. You will now real quick if your amp can't because it will go into protection mode/ shut off. Search the amp out on the internet to find out if its 2 ohm stable....

I have a 4 channel amp in my boat running two 6.5's off the front channels and four 6x9's off the rear channels.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-29-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
It should, most will be ok. What is the model number? You will just wire two pairs of the speakers in parallell . So on the amp you have 4 channels. On two of them you will have basically four wire runs , +/- speaker 1 .+/- speaker 2. hook these two together and put them on the right side +/- of the amp. same for the left side. You wil then be running four speakers off two channels and that would be a 2 ohm load at the amp.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-29-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
Thanks guys.

The amp is a sony xm-zr604r. I'm pretty sure it's rated for 2 ohms. So the fact that the speakers are different doesn't matter?
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-29-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
Shouldn't , no . All but a few car/marine based speakers are 4 ohm. Pretty safe to say . If in doubt, look on the back of the speaker, they usually have the impedence stamped or written on the back.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-29-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
RMS Power Output @ 4 Ohms : 60 Watts x 4-Channels
RMS Power Output @ 2 Ohms : 110 Watts x 4-Channels

There's your ratings on the amp, so it is 2 ohm stable.

The amp has no clue which brand speaker you are running just what ohm load they are imposing.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-04-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
I tried this setup and it plays flawlessly. thanks for the info!!