Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-23-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
OK so I started looking around and if there was ever a time to buy its now. I want the boat to be garage friendly. It all started at Nor Cal Mastercraft. I was picking up a new rope when the wife and kids fell in love with the X2 there. So I decided to look around at other boats on the top of my list- Supra 21v, Malibu VTX or even the VLX. I think I ruled out Nautique due to the budget and Sanger because its time for something different. I haven't got to an MB dealer yet. I know its a long list but without bashing whos got pros and cons. I heard a con for the X2 was the front is low and can take water over the nose when weighted. Im not too worried, as like I said I have a Sanger and if I can keep the front dry on that then I think I can handle about anything! This is a big decision so let me know what you all think without the bashing. Testing the Supra sunday but I havent been in any of the others except the VLX. Also one other question Mastercraft wanted a deposit before they took me out. Is that normal?
Old     (jeb)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
I would so no on the deposit. Being a dealer rep, I am willing to take anybody out on a demo, that is why we stock a demo boat for just that reason. My bet is that the deposit is wanted to make the sale easier after the demo. After all he already has some of your money so it would be easier to get you to spend more unless the demo goes completely bad.
Old     (mb_kid)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-23-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
If you can it would be worth your while to check out your MB dealer. We have a 2009 B52 TWB and could not be happier with it. It is truly amazing how much interior space it has for a 21' boat. Also, check out the VLX.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       06-23-2009, 10:04 PM Reply   
If you're interested in VTX let me know...I know where there is a smoking deal on a new one.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-23-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
Asking for a deposit is not uncommon but it's not necessary if you don't look like your 17. It's just a sales tool to try to lock you in without trying something else, and most dealers don't do that. I always walk from that kind of dealer for boats or cars.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-23-2009, 11:01 PM Reply   
Rich, I would ask that you atleast check out a wakecraft. They are not for everyone on this board, but I love mine. I have 60 hours on my 09. I am a dealer for them, but I and anyone who has ridden on or behind it loves it.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-25-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
OK so Im testing the Supra on Sunday and the X2 next week. Anything I should check on them?
Old     (supra_24v)      Join Date: May 2009       06-28-2009, 2:44 AM Reply   
I have a supra sunsport 24v 07. It is an awesome boat. We have had a few problems with gel coat spyder cracks, but Supra's support and customer service is top notch. The Supra dealer in our area is now Liquid Wrenches in Livermore. It was San Ramon Boat Center in Rocklin. I had read a few negative postings on Liquid Wrenches, but decided to give it a whirl. I had a faint spyder crack on the bottom of the hull and sent Supra an E mail stating that there was a crack and that I understood that the warrenty was for 1 year for this type of problem. I keep our boat in top condition and it was only going in for it 50 hour service. I also included in my E mail that I was taking it to Liquid Wrenches in Livermore. Upon calling for service, I was told they could not get it in for a couple of weeks. I requested if I could still bring it in because I was picking my daughter up in concord, they said no problem. Upon arriving, the owner Mr. Scott McNerney filled out the paper work and I told him about the sypder crack. He said he would contact Supra regarding the crack. I got a call the following friday and said my boat was ready to be picked up. They had repaired the crack NO CHARGE and performed the 50 hr service. When I was picking up the boat, I was able to speak with one of the mechanics, I believe his name was John and asked him several questions regarding our model and year, he was very informative. We have had the 24v out several times since then with no problems. My point, in todays economy, you should be able to get a great price on a boat, but buyer beware, purchase from a dealer that has a great service dept. and will weather the economic storm and purchase a product that has the support of a great manufacture such as skier choice, Supra.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-28-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
I have a an 09 X2 and love it. If you have any specific questions that are non mechanical please feel free to PM me.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-28-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
Have you actually priced a Nautique or just ruled them out because you think it will be too expensive?

I have not purchased a boat since my current(2003 SAN), but at that time it was standard thinking that a SAN was going to cost more than a similarly equipped VLX or X2(my final 3).... That did not end up being the case.... Not to say that pricing is regional and I did(do) have a relationship with the dealer(purchase a boat from him before).....

Anyway, I really don't have any advice as far as what boat is going to work best for you. But I would be 100% sure on some pretty firm pricing before you rule anything out related to $$$$.

Best of luck in your search. Great time to buy......

(Message edited by Deuce on June 28, 2009)
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-28-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
for the water in the front of the boat.... you just have to pay attention when you go over the rollers.... you just have to give it a little gas over them and your fine.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-28-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Richard- I went out today with Scott on the 22SSV and loved it. I wonder what the surf wake is like on the 21V it looked pretty nice with just the stock ballast on the 22SSV. They tracked down a 21V for me although its not the color I want. I am more than impressed with the shop and Scotts knowledge. He might have even found a buyer for my Sanger. I test drive the X2 on Tues. Im keeping an open mind on what I want so we'll see.

EJ- I have priced out the 210 Nautiques. The 09 was 87K and I can get it for 60K. Or the 08 they had for 53K. The Malibus are in the low to mid 40s for 08 VTX and VLX respectively. And the 08 X2 is mid 40s. Last year I couldn't justify any of the boats financially but if I want new now is the time.

Another question- The Supras have Fly High bags that can be changed out for larger ones. How hard is it to add more bags in the X2?
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-29-2009, 7:38 PM Reply   
Rich,

You can't go wrong with an X2 or a 21V. I used to own a 21V and have several friends with X2's. Both boats have great wakes when loaded with around 2000 lbs or more. This is simple switch of bags in the Supra's. I helped my friend add ballast bags in his X2 and it can be done pretty easily if you have a little technical/electrical knowledge. The hardest part of upgrading the X2 ballast will be either bypassing the factory ballast timers or making sure they have 20 min timers and reprogram them for the correct time. The '09 supra ballast system pumps are similar to MC and also have ballast timers that are programmable up to 20 mins. My only complaint about the X2 is that the sundeck is tiny.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2009, 11:29 PM Reply   
Rich- About your surf wake question on the 21v, we just sold our '05 21v and I 'believe' its the same hull as the '09's. If so, you will definitely want to upgrade both your rear bags to the 750lb fly highs and the front bag to the GG 1180lb bag. With this setup, the port/regular side is decent, clean, a little short but rideable. The starboard/goofey side is not as clean (gets consistant prop wash) and is pretty short. Both my wife and I ride goofey and spent a decent amount of time with different weight configurations trying to get the goofey side to lengthen out and clean up. We have added xtra weight in addition to the 750 and 1180 sacs and could never find what we were looking for. We got it to be 'ok' in my opinion, but that was the main reason we sold it, we were in search of a low-maitenance goofey surfwake. We found just that in our new Epic. Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions about our 21v. Skier's Choice is GREAT, we had a moomba before our 21v and really like Skier's Choice, a standup company.

Have you considered Epic? Epics aren't everyone's cup of tea, but for what we wanted and were looking for it fit us perfectly. The goofey wake is more than enough with just stock ballast and as little as 2 peeps in the boat. In fact it's a little steep and big for the wifey so we are still 'dialing' it for her, but I LOVE it! Absolutely NO extra ballast needed at all! We also have a 2 and 4 year old and the Epic has some VERY kid friendly features- the rubber flooring, ability to fade music to transom and turn it up for the rider. Anyways, let me know if you have more ?'s about the 21v or the Epic.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-29-2009, 11:41 PM Reply   
oh yeah...

A deposit just to test drive a boat? No thanks. I don't know of any dealers in my area that ask for a deposit, so maybe depends on what the market 'norm' is in a particular area.

Also, Brennan is right, since you are in the market, you will definitely want to check out the MB's, they are GREAT boats. 100% of the reason why we didn't entertain a new MB was because of our local dealer. Too many shady/bad business transactions they did to some customers that I know very well, I wanted to have NOTHING to do with them, but MB's are GREAT boats!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-30-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
All this business about upgrading ballast, needing technical/electrical knowledge, etc...

Some of you probably like to tinker with your boats, so maybe the DIY ballast projects are enjoyable. For me... I don't like the idea of needing to upgrade a brand new $50k boat.

Why not skip all that and just get a boat with enough factory ballast to give a great "out-of-the-box" wake?

Honestly, setting my ownership goggles aside here... why wouldn't you want 1,800 lbs. of ballast all beneath the floor that fills and empties in a minute?

Rich, If that sounds good to you, check out the MB B52V TWB or the F21 Tomcat (same boat as TWB with pickle fork bow).

As an added bonus, they are VERY garage friendly. Here is mine nestled in the garage with room to spare! Not bad for a boat rated to hold 16 people!!

Upload
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-30-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
I wish there was a dealer in MN.... I'd like to see one of those MBs in person and maybe test drive one.

That ballast system just makes too much sense!! Another great invention from Mike Murphy!
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-30-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
i have over 2500 in my x-2 and havent sunk the nose on it yet! i have twin 750 in each locker a 500 up the walk way and 250 across the front seat no problems go mastercraft!