Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (tsat)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-01-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
I am planning on buying a new/newer boat. Do you have any regrets?
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-01-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
I've owned a few new ones. They are fun, but they get to be really expensive.
Old     (tsat)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-01-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
should you have bought used instead?
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-01-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
No regrets . . . I'm like a little kid in the thing. The expense is easier if boating is your lifestyle, and you can afford owning it.
Old     (mcmike)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-01-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
I regret not buying one earlier in life.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-01-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
I second mike's comment.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-01-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
Mike is so right. Although now that I have one, I have so many friends with boats that I almost don't need mine.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-01-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
They are expensive, especially if you arent mechanicaly inlined like me...but I wouldnt trade being a boat owner for anything. Nothing better then hitching up the boat ona a Saturday morning and meeting your crew out for a fun day on the lake. Ahhhhh I miss Summer already
Old    bigrich            11-01-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
For years I had an older Seaswirl runabout that I put a tower,speakers,center ballast in trying to make a wakeboard boat out of it. The whole time I wanted to but a new boat but my wife fought me the whole way. Dont get me wrong I had years of great memories in that boat but one day the day came and I went in head first. Fully loaded Sanger
V215. Her first time on the boat she said why did we wait so long for this. I could only shake my head. If you can afford it and that is your passion like mine and I'm sure so many others. Go for it now and dont wait.
Old     (tsat)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-01-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
Anyone ever go in partners with someone else on a new boat?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-01-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
Tim, I did...with my brother, big mistake...I think he still owes me about $2k, lol.

I bought a year old boat....I couldn't justify to myself to own a new one.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-01-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
Rich-
Reminds of when my wife was hesitant with the purchase of my V210. On the 3rd month of her not wanting to play I surprised her with a V210 in the driveway. She wasn't too mad because she knows eventually I do what I want to anyway. She and the kids enjoy it each time were out. No regrets.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
If you will use it a lot every year-not just a fad in your life-and your significant other is into riding, you can't beat a boat for a fun family activity. My first boat (mastercraft prostar)cost 20k in '07 and I feel I got 100k+ of fun out of it. My 2004 Supra cost 40k and I feel I've had at least that much fun with it already.
I know some people who have done the partner thing: be careful and only do it if you love the sport more than your partner and can afford to buy him out in the next year or two. Most partnerships with boats do not last very long.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
NO Regrets whatsoever.... I'm very much in love with my new boat.

The only thing I regret is I bought a brand new boat in May before this one in September, so I took a big hit on that. I grabbed my ankles pretty much.

Just make sure you get what you want the first time!!!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-01-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
I have purchase 2 new boats. No regrets on either. It provides countless hours of solid family time and that makes every dollar seem like pennies.
Upload
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-01-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
Buy the nicest one within your budget. Compared to the other boat related costs, your actual boat payment won't be the biggest expense. For example take a 50K boat verses a 30K boat = $200 a month difference. Your gas, maintenance, insurance, travel money if you don't live on the lake, etc. will be about the same with either boat. And if it is new 50K verses used 30K ownership costs might actually be less with the new boat for the first 3-5 years. Just figure it will cost a lot, double it, then never think about the money side of it again and just enjoy it.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-01-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
GREAT ADVICE Kevin.

I think that is the one thing that a dealer never tells you. "You know, your boat payment is about half of what you will be spending on this hobby."
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-01-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
I dont know anyone on their deathbed who said, "I wish I would have never had so much fun on that boat" You only go around once in this world, and If you can afford it, I highly recommend it...
Old     (boarder831)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-01-2006, 5:32 PM Reply   
My only regret is not buying a boat (used but new for me) earlier in life. My advice would be "buy as much boat as you can afford".
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-01-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
I can't tell you how many times I have heard " A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into"...but none of these people were boat oners or boat people for that mater. I have no regrets...it's alot of FUN.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-01-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Its definately a hole you throw money into, but jumping in that whole sure is worth it.
Old    gotwake123            11-01-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
BOAT: Bring Out Another Thousand
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
Besides my gas payments all summer,I spend about 400 a year for maintenance.This includes oil change every 50 hours,winterizing,a tightened cable here and there and an impeller change every 100 hours.A good boat is a well serviced boat that should ALMOST never give you a bad day on the water.
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-02-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
I just bought a new boat this year. Kevin that is great advice. I bought w/in my budget, but also one that fills my needs and current wants when I'm at the lake.
The cost is just a price you pay to have fun and make great memories with friends and family and making new friends.
I've been around boats pretty much my whole life. Although they were bass boats, I still knew going into it about all the other costs involved with owning one. If you constantly dwell on the cost of operating it, then a boat is not for you. I can promise you this, not one time have I even thought twice about how much I just spent for a weekend to enjoy the lake. When you start totaling up costs such as fuel, food, drinks, lodging if you don't have a place to stay near a lake, fuel for the tow rig etc it really adds up, but at the same time I still get excited each time my g/f and I head to the store getting everything together for a weekend at the lake. Hell by the time friday morning rolls around, boat is full of gas, food and clothes are loaded up, and I take the boat to work with me so I can get up there as quick as I can.

Like Manny just said, I love jumping thru that hole also.
Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-02-2006, 6:55 AM Reply   
I don't have any regrets about buying my boat. However, we are trying to decide if we want to sell it at this time. We purchased the boat right after we got married and used it like crazy for two summers. Then our first child came and the trips to the lake as a family are few and far between with an infant. We are looking forward to having more children, and I don't think we will make it to the lake much as we continue to grow our family. Now that being said, if we do sell we will definetly own a boat again in the future when we are finished having children and they are all old enough to spend a full day at the lake. I'm thinking when the youngest is 3 or 4. I think it is GREAT family time, just not when you have infants....
Old     (tarkus70)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-02-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
I did not have a boat for about 2 years. Before that I had owned some sort of boat for 10 years. The 2 years without a boat was bad and my wife one day said lets take a ride and she took me by a used boat sitting on someones lawn. She told me to just get the boat and be done with it she was tired of the the dull summers. Bought a new boat this year after three years with the last one .Soooo do I regret buying a boat NOPE. As to the above post I will say this if you can swing holding onto the boat while you start a family do it that way when it's time to start boating again when the kids get older it's not that big a payout for you and you know what you have in the boat where as if you buy something else you don't know what your getting into
Just My $0.02
Old     (cjromero77)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-02-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
No regrets overall. I bought a little too old a boat (99 Tige). Make sure you do research for what your needs are.

My wife and kids (who are merely figments of my imagination) just love the boat!

Go for it and be safe.
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-02-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
Jarrod,

Send me an email next summer if you want to come up to Grand Lake sometime.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-02-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
ej put it best. dude just look at the picture now thats just chillin. good stuff ej
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-02-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
Kevin,

Will do. Matter of fact, my g/f and I were talking about making a trip up there next summer.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-02-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
No regrets here, they are expensive and take a lot of TLC. On my second brand new boat and no complaints.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-02-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
Whats up DUFFY coming down soon? I thought your regret was you wanted a X2. LOL
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-02-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
Ive owned 3 brand new boats, and I had no real regrets. However, there are a few things you should consider before doing so:

1. Can you really afford it?
2. Are you going to use it enough?
3. Can you do what you want to do without owning a boat?
4. Are you buying exactly what you want?

The worst feeling in the world is having a boat that makes you strapped for cash. decide what you can "really" afford, first.

Make sure you are going to get good use out of the depreciating value. Nothing worse than a boat sitting somehwere depreciating. Also, those payments arent that big a deal in July. but they suck in January!

If you are able to go wakeboarding and get the family on the water often without owning a boat, why buy? Its kind of a whip to have six families who ride together and have 6 boats. Your new boat gets alot of use, til your buddy shows up with the new UBER-BOAT. Then yours gets a cover and you ride with him. Now you are back to where you were, accept now you are paying for something you dont use.

Buy exactly what you want the first time. Dont "ease" into boat ownership. You will pay dearly for that luxury.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-02-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
Every friday is like Christmas when I was a kid. I cant wait to go to sleep so I can wake up saturday and ride / be in the boat all day - I have the same problem sunday.
If I was a trust fund guy or sponsored, I imagine everyday would be that way...
Regrets? Hardly.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-02-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
dsmall... I second keeping the boat, if you can, my son is three and loves it. We have been taking out the last three summers. At times I have thought about selling but, it would probably be way more expensive or harder to justify buying another.

And for sure do it right the first time. I was lucky enough to buy the kind of boat that fit our needs then, now, and in the future. If not it would be hard to swallow the cost of ownership and use.

But, the boat is the only thing that our whole family and all of our friends can do together. In-laws, friends, any age.. it totally beats another Sunday eating at the in-laws.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-02-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
I dont know about regret but I bought a boat at 23 and that probably was not the best time to have that expense. I was financially fine and then I got married and she is still in school and this year things have definetly gotten a little tight. After she graduates and gets a job I am sure things will be fine again but there is a right time for everything.

As far as buying the right boat the first time I would disagree. If you can not afford your dream boat buy what you can afford and enjoy yourself with it. I bought a 1982 and have been very pleased with it. It definetly was not on the top of my want list but was the best boat for the money that I had at the time. To me boats are fun but not fun enough to be stressed out about making the payment for.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-02-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
best recreation money we've ever spent. We had already decided we were "boat people" from using the in-laws old boat, so we decided we needed our own. We bought a 4 year old boat (it's now 10), and it has been great for us. We paid cash, so I can't speak to that "boat payment in January" feeling. We've talked about getting a new one, but the one we have still works fine for us, it's reliable, and it's paid for.

We've spent lots of money "recreating" in different spots doing different things, but when we ask our kids what's the best vacation....easy answer..."boating".

Bottom line is no regrets, provided you adopt the boating lifestyle. If you don't adopt the lifestyle and the boat sits (gasp) I could see regretting the decision.