Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (tdk2828)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-15-2003, 10:16 AM Reply   
I need some help guys, The dealer installed the back hoop of my Titan tower the wrong way. In order to fix the problem, they need to drill new holes and do gell coat work:-( Will this compromise the structural integrity of my hull?

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-15-2003, 10:31 AM Reply   
YIKES! At the least I would get it in writing that any future cracks in that area are covered for life of the boat, including owner transfers. It will not cause a structural problem to the hull. The only thing to worry about is quality of the repair and future stress cracks.

I would also look to get some free stuff thrown in to compensate for their lack of abilities.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-15-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
Can't they just flip it around? On my Titan, the heim joints are symmetrical on each side, so you would be able to take it apart at the joint (not the mount) and flip it around. Are the new Titan's different? Am I on crack?
Old    throwinatantrum            11-15-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
dude freak out on em. How did they put it on backwards?
Old     (tdk2828)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-15-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
This is one of the older Titan's, and yes, it does unmount as you described, but when trying to flip it around, the top plates did not match up. Essentially, the holes were drilled in the wrong place.

Thanks for the support guys!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-15-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
Holy crap. They screwed up big time.

Are the old/new holes overlapping or far removed?

If they are far removed, then the only issue is cosmetic. If they are overlapping, then there are strength issues.

Get them to life-time warranty the repair and wave the install fee or some portion of the tower fee.

You can take them to small claims court if they balk.
Old    ryan38            11-15-2003, 3:11 PM Reply   
how can they put a tower on backwards?! thats messed up... go up and complain until they fix it, and uh, after that, don't go there again
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-15-2003, 10:43 PM Reply   
does that mean you have to ride infront of the boat
but really they were a bit bone-headed on that one, they should cover you for any damages that may appear because of it.
Old     (mrburns)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-15-2003, 10:59 PM Reply   
I'd get it ALL in writing....AND take pictures...cause if you Fawked up an install...what makes you think they are going to beable to do the Repair work too??

Best of luck...
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-16-2003, 2:21 PM Reply   
Wow, thats unbelievable! As stated above, get it all in writing and take pictures of the whole chain of events. And then post em. Make sure both you and the dealer sign the paperwork. This is now a binding contract. A few witnesses wouldn't hurt. Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of boat ownership..
Old    tattoobling            11-17-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
Ha Ha Ha Ha

Just mount the wedge on the bow of the boat (I think there's one sitting on the bottom of the Delta somewhere, ask Greg), install a right hand prop and pull everybody in reverse. Think of the increased visibility you will have of your rider, i.e. much safer. Everybody's baggin on your dealer when in reality they did you a favor by providing a much safer boating experience. I'd provide more empirical evidence of my assumption of improved safety but I gotta get going. The GM dealer mounted the hitch on my running board and cruise control only works in reverse.
Old     (deltagrubber)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-17-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
Rob,
Post up a picture, it'd be a a lot easier to help ya out if we could see the older tower. I agreed with Dave's post that you could just flip it around, that works on my series one Titan!
Old    kiwi            11-19-2003, 12:56 AM Reply   
Hey Kaiser Just think of the wake that would put out ;with such a big v in the water u might be able to surf it
Old    dburke            11-19-2003, 9:07 AM Reply   
Rob,

I had the same thing happen to my boat and Titan tower and I fixed it myself. I flipped the hoop and had to tweak the heim joints to line up the holes then bend the two connecting plates to get them to lay flush. I had to bend the plates about 3/4" up. I did that 2 yrs ago and everything is still working great. Powder coat was not affected at all.

However, when my father backed the tower into our deck last yr it bent the top plate about 45degrees. When we bent it back in place the powder coat chipped off. Since it was on top and you cant really see it from the boat, I spray painted it black. It seems to be holding up very well.
Old    tattoobling            11-20-2003, 1:34 PM Reply   
Martin,

I think they actually mounted the tower correctly, it's the new "wakesurf" tower mounting option. When mounted that way you are exempt from the Correct Craft extortion, er tower licensing fee.