Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Kuniku)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-02-2014, 12:44 AM Reply   
Hey,

I'm new about these parts, so be gentle with me

I used to run a wakeboard club at my uni a few years ago, and since finishing uni I've been a bit out of the loop and off the scene. My only riding the last few years has been at the end of each day when I spend a 10 day stretch helping teach disabled waterskiing for a disability summercamp.

Near when I finished uni I was looking to get a new board, I was (and still am) riding a LF Trip 138, with Ultra Suction bindings. and had settled on either the LF PS3 137, or the New Schnitzel Glass (although IIRC New Schnitzel had just gone out of business at the time kinda writing that one off)

The guy that runs the Disabled waterskiing that I help with (mostly boat driving) might, just might, be able to get me a free Jobe set up, which is needed as my faithful old Trip is very close to dying - it only has so many epoxy fixes in it after all =p

Problem is I've never riden any Jobe boards, so have no idea how they ride etc, can anyone suggest which might ride a bit like the PS3 did? While these days I've mostly been riding boat, I am more of a cable rider at heart. My Trip I've always riden without the centre fins, just sticking with the outer cupped fins for a loose feel.

I was kinda leaning towards the Conflict Flex 138, as it is labelled as a cable board but with no experience of how it rides I thought I'd see if anyone could offer any advice.

TLDR - How do the various Jobe Boards feel? Are any like the LF PS3 when that first came out?

Much thanks for any help offered.

Last edited by Kuniku; 05-02-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-02-2014, 6:13 AM Reply   
I have the Conflict and it's the best cable board I've every ridden. Really soft landings, which gives more confidence to hit the kickers harder. Even finless it edges like it has fins, which is important to me because I like to throw some air tricks. I haven't ridden it behind the boat but my intuition tells me it will be great. I just landed my first 540 off the kicker yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pAEZMctvTE
Old     (Kuniku)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-02-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
Nicely done sir!

Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty sure I'd ride it finless on the cable as well, and soft landings are always good on my aging knees! I'd definitely try out the fins on the boat, as where I ride there is no ramps or sliders to hit anyway.

When I was running the club at uni I was riding so much, and looking into everything so much i knew everything about every board, but I've been struggling to find any reviews on the conflict, everywhere just seems to have the same schpiel that is on the jobe website lol.

A new cable opened up just half an hour from where I live last year, so if I do blag this new board I'll definitely be hitting that up!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-02-2014, 6:39 AM Reply   
Congratulations on the 540 John!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-02-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
You can't hardly even buy a Jobe Wakeboard here in the US. I was lucky to get one because it's Julian Cohen's signature board and his home base is the local cable here (OWC). But my praise for the board is solely based on how it works for me. My knees are 58 years old so I really appreciate those soft landings as well. I'm 5,7, 140lbs, and ride the 138.

Thanks Robert!

Last edited by fly135; 05-02-2014 at 6:44 AM.
Old     (Kuniku)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-02-2014, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
You can't hardly even buy a Jobe Wakeboard here in the US. I was lucky to get one because it's Julian Cohen's signature board and his home base is the local cable here (OWC). But my praise for the board is solely based on how it works for me. My knees are 58 years old so I really appreciate those soft landings as well. I'm 5,7, 140lbs, and ride the 138 as well.

Thanks Robert!
The guy I volunteer for doing the disabled waterskiing is an official Jobe Distributor, so we can get all the Jobe kit, but with real life stuff happening I can't afford to be buying the new kit I want, but this is my 10th year helping him out, and he's doing a couple of big Jobe sales this year and they've mentioned possibly saying thank you by means of free kit, so he said he'd enquire if that could include a new set up for me.

There is a Jobe demo day in June, but its a bit of a trek to get to as its roughly a 300 mile round trip, so I've asked him to find out the likely hood of me being able to get said set up, if it is looking likely it may well be worth going to the demo day to try it all out and see how I like it.

Am leaning towards the conflict though, it's park orientated, the side fin set up is similar to what I'm used to and its also one of the prettier boards in their line IMO (though it is a comepletely different colour scheme to what I'm currently riding, so I'll need a new pair of shorts and rash vest to go with it (and possibly respray my helmet xD)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-02-2014, 7:26 AM Reply   
I just picked up this LF Flash helmet with the ear protection. Took a hard fall and my eardrum was smacked. Fortunately not broke. The green goes with the Conflict!

Old     (Kuniku)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-02-2014, 7:29 AM Reply   
That would go pretty nicely actually! Might be worth checking the Jobe site for a matching helmet, could be a chance to pick one up on the cheap! There's nothing wrong with my helmet, its just the wrong colour - so if all else fails I'll just some green spray and come up with a funky design on it =D
Old     (Kuniku)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-02-2014, 7:31 AM Reply   

Pretty Spot on!