Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-28-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
This past weekend my 15 year old brother was out on the boat (Saturday Night I believe?). He had to drop his friends off at their homes for the night due to the fact they are not old enough to drive a car. On his way back it starts thundering and lightning. He gets scared and floors the boat back to our house. Just as he pulls in DNR pulls him over and slams him with a $150 ticket. He tries to argue about the weather and they give him the usual "sorry its the law."

But now for the kicker! After writing him a ticket, they take off full speed out of our COVE (which is an idle zone) and continue full speed all the way until we could not see them anymore. So my question is: if your a DNR officer, you are not expected to follow the laws??
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-28-2010, 11:22 AM Reply   
By the way, In Indiana it is illegal to go over 10mph/create a wake at night........and it was about 11:30 at night
Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-28-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
That blows. Indiana DNR sucks. I live on a private lake and just have a deuche bag, "safety officer" but same deal, we go by the DNR rules. Except they use a retarded traffic signal on a photo cell to determine sundown. This year it's been turning on at 8:30!!! theres still another hour to ride with decent light. Needless to say we've been to the board meetings all summer, and had countless arguments with the patrol guy.
Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-28-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
BTW where in Indiana were you??
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Wisconsin ones are usually total *******s too.

They only come out on our lake on the weekends, but honestly EVERY weekend we get pulled over by the SAME TWO GUYS and we are always 100% legit.... its a pain in the ass..... and they still haven''t figured out that its super easy to spot their boat because they have a fishing boat W/O a trolling motor.... they lose the element of the surprise.

Nothing like seeing a wakesurf roller hammer their boat though.... one day we cruised by surfing, huge huge roller hits them from the side and one lost his walkie-talkie and soda into the lake.... made it all better
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-28-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
Patrols just suck when they have nothing better to do but harass people about the stupidest things. I feel the pain with the Indiana DNR. We were on the lake on pontoon boats just hanging out. Were pulling up anchor to head in for the day and DNR comes screaming across the lake towards our three boatsstill tied together. They said and I quote "You were anchored in a zone the people usually don't like to anchor in so we just came to see what was going on." We were legit and had sober drivers. We had 2 underagers who were friends of friends who got cited for possession when they weren't drinking ($450 ticket). Also a couple people got cited for providing a minor ($300 ticket) when the underage people weren't drinking. Annoying but we let it go because it was our word against the officers.

The kicker was because we sat their for an hour and a half while they ran background checks on everyone, we were late to turn in a double decker rental we had for the day and lost our $500 security deposit. DNR keeps you safe, but when they abuse their authority it's annoying. Guess that could be said for any cop?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-28-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Too bad you didn't get that on video Nick.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-28-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
Go in with this table for your area:

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astron...rs-one-year-us

If you have a standard they can use and know when the standard applies, you have a good argument. If not, you should be denied.
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-28-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
Hey DNR is the same as any cop.......They all think that when they have that badge and car (in this case boat) they are above the law...and in all honesty, there is very little we can do unless it is caught on film verifying our claims....and then we have a bullseye on our back for getting them in trouble.......

sorry had to say that lol....my rant is over
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-29-2010, 4:07 AM Reply   
Ya, although the MC dealer I used to work at serviced most of the central Indiana DNR boats so I was friends with the officers for while. Those days are long gone now. One thing I learned, even if you have video of an instance it will often not hold up in court.(according to a DNR officer). On our lake we have Neighborhood patrol (off-duty sheriffs), DNR (2 boats) and some random Coast Guard boat that randomly showed up. The coast guard does it right. The come by and simply ask if we are ok, and leave!
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-29-2010, 4:08 AM Reply   
D.Day- I am home for the summer interning in Indianapolis so I have the luxury of living with the rents' on Geist.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-29-2010, 4:10 AM Reply   
Hey Just looked at you profile....I go to Purdue as well. If you have any interest in riding let me know I usually have our X-30 up there. I am planning on having it up there assuming I get the winch mount rebuilt on our trailer since my younger brother managed to hit the trailer so hot it broke the 2x3 steel tubing.
Old     (dwday)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-29-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
Sick!!! Got get that done for sure. Sending PM
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-29-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
DNR officers are like girls. The worse you treat them the nicer they are.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-29-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
Wow, man, that makes the DNR guys around here seem like angels. It probably has a lot to do with we very rarely, if ever, see them actually on the water, they're usually just in the boat ramp area making things go smoothly on busy days (the days that we tend to avoid anyhow) and talking to people about invasive species and stuff. In fact, I would go so far as to say the rangers are actually really pretty nice guys/gals.