Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-06-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
Hey All,
I recently built some cans with the db 650's in 'em and was powering them with a cheesie 2 channel amp that kept cutting out when the speakers were wired in parallel - my assumption is the amp really isn't 2 ohms stable as they'd make it thru about a song and a half and then the overload circuit would cut them out, I re-wired them in series (8 ohm) but they're not loud enough with this cheesie amp.

Got any amp recommendations that won't break the bank (like $150.00 +/-)

Someday I'll even get some pics up...

Wes
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-06-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
I'd love to see what the cans look like.
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-07-2006, 6:43 AM Reply   
Would a Hifonics ZXi 4006 be appropriate? It's rated at 800 watts...

Here are the specs

* RMS @ 4-Ohms: 2 x 100-Watts
* RMS @ 2-Ohms: 2 x 200-Watts
* RMS @ 4-Ohms: 1 x 400-Watts
* Crossover And Switching:
o Variable 12dB Octave Hi-Pass
o Variable 24dB Octave Low-Pass
o ±18dB Bass Boost at 45Hz

I want to run two db 650's on each side in parallel (2 ohms). I believe a 2-channel amp is all I need as only the tower speakers will be run off it...

Waddaya think?

Wes

(Message edited by wesgardner on August 07, 2006)

(Message edited by wesgardner on August 07, 2006)
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-07-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
I'm also looking at the ZXi 6006 - a bit more power...

Wes
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-08-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
As promised, here are some pics of the finished cans...they're pvc with a spacer hung from a piece of aluminum square tube, the tube is then bolted directly to the tower...the things that look like clamps are actually for a vid camera mount...the speaker wiring runs up thru the spacer and into the square tube then into the tower...the joint between the end cap and the coupling was purposely left as a reveal as this was easier than trying to fill and sand the joint...

Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by wesgardner on August 08, 2006)