Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (samuraisarge)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-01-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Earlier today my friend and i went out wakeboarding having never done it before. Since no one that i know boards (i live in Maine) i decided to pick one up and after doing some research i decided on the 07 134 Kink w/ vapor bindings.

I've been researching how to do DW starts for the past month, reading posts, watching vids, etc. But when we got out on the water we just couldn't get up. It was a little choppy which obviously didn't help but i think i was doing everything right. I was on my back, knees bend and my arms slightly bent between my knees (also tried around my knees but it felt weird) and i had my dad start off slow like everyone says. But everytime we'd start it seemed that the board would either just push against the water and the handle would rip out of my hands, or it would ride up a little but my body would never get up and i'd drink half the lake. Can anybody give me some tips that might help for next time i go out?

Also, my dads boat doesn't have any kind of tower, we just have a bridal that goes around the outboard in the back. Could not having the rope high enough be the reason my body isnt being pulled out of the water?
Old     (dmiller22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
Yeah bring your knees up and wrap your arms on the outside of your of you knees. You knees should be resting right at the elbow joints just sit there the boat will do the rest you will find you can even ride sitting down like that for a while I do it to show my friends that are just starting how easy it is. Hope this helps I was having the same problem and somebody told me this way and I was up the first try.
Old     (dmiller22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
Where do you ride I can come up and help you guys out if you wanted. I live in boston and do most of my boarding on the cape.
Old     (rc005)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-01-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
u can also try getting up how a skier does.. you just sink the back of the board.. and keep the tip our of the water.. bend your knees and keep the handle at about waist level.. and hold on for dear life... thats how i do it.. i have found it to be easier than the sideways start.. less pressure on the hands knees and back..
Old     (cougar1)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-01-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
Ryan Cargo is exactly right. We have taught numerous people to board and that is the only way that really works these days. The standard beginner way of starting sideways doesn't do much for more people. Once you learn how to get up the skier method than you will put it all together and start normal. My girlfriend still gets up that way everytime. Works like a champ.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-01-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
MA, boy am i glad i learned how to get up with an extended pilon (doesn't have to be a tower) then, learn how to get up from a line behind the boat. when you go back to a tower you will find it much easier!
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-01-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
i'll hit all the point people mostly mess up and that i messed up when i learned
-hands on or outside the knees
-toes pointed towards the boat *** ***
-stay squated and let the boat pull you up and don't push with your legs or pull with your arm

practice sitting down on the dock like this and having someone pull you up
http://www.ridecwb.com/2007/videos.php
^^^*** 2nd to bottom video
Old     (power_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-01-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
the main thing that people do when we teach them is they fight the motion of the boat. DO NOT DO THIS. it really impares your ability to get up. so basicly let your knees hit you chest.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-01-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
get those toes pointed towards the boat I think this is all you are missing
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-01-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
I always tell people to think about a person helping you off the ground or out of a chair. Wait until you have your weight and balance over your feet and then just stand up and turn the board.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
I was like you when i first started. After a while my mother asked me if i ever tried standing up on the board out in the water. I replied no, then proceeded to push the board beneath me as if standing on it in the water. after i did this something snapped in my brain and i said, "i think i got it!" the very next try i got up and boarded quite a wayz. Try this if you have not!

some other tips:

knees should be bent so that your heels are to your but and your knees to your chest.

let boat do the work, let it pull you up and then stand up.

arms around front knee or both knees.

Here is a visual that may help: Imagine a waxed slippery floor. Imagine trying to get up from a seated position without the aid of your hands... impossible right? Ok, now imagine someone giving you a helping hand (or handle with a rope) to pull you up. If your legs are not bent enough you will only get dragged on your butt across the floor right? The same thing will happen if only your heels are touching the the floor and your toes are pointed up. the way you will get up in this circumstance is if your feet are more flat on the floor and you allow your butt to come to your heels and your knees to your chest. Then you can stand up!

ONCE UP:
handle should be held hip high, toward your lead hip (lead hip is the hip that will be pointing toward the boat. i ride with right foot forward, so my lead hip is the right one)

knees slightly bent

about 60% weight should be on rear foot.

put weight on toes to go direction of toes and weight on heals to go the direction of your toes.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-01-2007, 5:52 PM Reply   
Its so easy its not even funny. Bend your knees and just angle your board up so that the water pushes you up, make the sure the line is tight as well. Doesnt matter if you come up parrallel or perpendicular to the boat.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-01-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
My deep water starts:

Upload
Old     (samuraisarge)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-01-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
Hey thanks everybody for all the help! I think my problem was that i wasn't wrapping my arms around my legs. It just felt awkward to be all scrunched up like that so i tried to keep my hands between my knees and have my back straight.

Dana, i don't know if you know where bangor, Maine is but its basically in the eastern part of central maine and I ride just about any lake i can find (depends on where we want to go). If you really want to travel up here just to show a newbie how to board then i'd be INCREDIBLY grateful to you! It would be kinda nice to have someone who actually knows what they're doing help instead of just sorta winging it lol
Also, i tried doing the skier start too but i just fell backwards because i couldnt get my weight in the middle of the board quick enough.

I just have a few quick questions:
1) I'm looking at Patten's pic and i was watching a few vids and it almost looks like the board is under the water when you start. It should be outa the water right?
2)Should you be so close to your knees that you can almost touch your knees with your chin?
3)Should i adjust my board bindings any? Feet spacing, foot angle, etc.
Thanks again guys!
Old     (hmurray)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-02-2007, 2:59 AM Reply   
it is really so simple.. I more have the feeling that your dad doesn't give enough throttle.
That way youll get an enormous pull on your arms cause your body stays in the water. You dad should give as much throttle to get the boat in plane in about 6-8 seconds Dont know how much horsepower and what kind of boat you have.

For the rest, be relaxed, Let the boat do the job and keep your but close to the board (like the way you sjit when your in nature with nowhere a toilet in reach :P)
Keep those knees bend as far as you can (so your ass is against your heels) Keep the line between your knees. Before you give the "Go" yell the line should be tight (ship is going in stationary drive)

Keep trying one day it will work

(Message edited by hmurray on July 02, 2007)
Old     (dmiller22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2007, 4:47 AM Reply   
I wouldn't mind. I have a friend up there that I want to visit anyways he lives out there on some island. Once you get up you will see how easy it is. Give me a few days notice and I will see if I can make it up there to help
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-02-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
1) LOOK AT THE VIDEO I SHOWED YOU!
2) you can see exactly how far you should be from your knees in the video
3) its however you feel comfortable
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-02-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
1) my board is completely underwater
2) No
3) No
Old     (dmiller22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
Go to this website and then scroll down to the basic video all the way at the bottom! Show a great video of getting up

http://www.ridecwb.com/2007/videos.php
Old     (samuraisarge)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
My dad has a 21ft boat with a 150HP engine and it takes a little bit to get it up on plane. So maybe giving it more throttle would be better?

Dana, does Mount Desert Island sound like the place that he lives in? If so, i live about an hour away from your friend. How does the weekend of the 21st sound for you? I have to talk with my dad and check my work hours but that would be the best time to go if its alright with you.

Brett, thanks for the link. I've been looking at a still-frame of the kid sitting in the water and trying to reproduce it infront of my computer here lol}
Old     (dmiller22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
It is actually Ilesboro Island by Belfast! 21st looks ok to me as of now!
Old     (samuraisarge)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
hey dana check your messages. i sent you a PM about the 21st
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
I'll tell you what I've told the dozen or so people that I've gotten up. Put the board wherever you feel comfortable (sideways, nose out, diagonal) - don't fight it, let the boat pull you up and let the water push you up - when you get tension keep your front leg bent but almost straight and bring your back foot up under your butt - that'll get the board flat and you just stand up. That's worked for 90% of my first timers in their first few tries. AND starting slow won't help you, it'll just make it harder. Focus on getting on top of the board, even if it's still under water.

Anyway samurai....i was looking for folks up in Bangor a few months ago. Were planning on taking a trip up there this year or next and getting a cabin on Pushaw. All my family is in Bangor, Brewer, Old Town, etc. If we make it I'll get in touch. Put yourself in the rider link so I can find ya later.
Old     (samuraisarge)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 10:02 PM Reply   
Thanks steve! I guess i'll just have to try experimenting with a bunch of different techniques if the basic beginner's one doesnt work. And if you do come up to the Bangor area definately hit me up! I'm gunna try to get as many pulls in as i can this season. BTW, whats the rider link?
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-04-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Left side of the home page
Old     (samuraisarge)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-04-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
got it! i'm in there so just send me a message when you decide to come up