Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-23-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
so i know the consensus is that the Super Air Nautique has a steep wake. what other boats are considered as making steep wakes?
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-23-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
205v, 21v
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-23-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
CC and SANGER have the steepest wakes.

Generally, the deeper you sink the transom, the taller the wake (what goes down must come up).

Generally, the more narrow the boat, the easier it is to sink the transom.

Narrow boats == steep wakes.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
that works but sangers arent really that narrow. not like CC's
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-23-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
hmmm... i agree that narrow is more easy to sink. i disagree that narrow is more steep. for example, a 205v has a 90 inch beam, a SAN has a 91 inch beam. why then is the the SAN considered to have a steeper wake? it has to do with the wetted surface of the boat. my parents 92" i/o barely throws a wake no matter how much weight you have in it.

additionally, if you weight more fore than aft, your wake gets rampier, and visa versa, regardless of width.

if you look at a SAN from above, its widest point is at the stearn (not sure how it looks from below). it has a shape that is completely unique in the WB world (again from above). you might assume that the boat, being wedged-shaped, forces water wider at and past the stearn and then lets it come back together more forcefully, creating a steeper wake (this is beer math hydrodynamics at best).

actually, i think i may have figured it out. every SAN i see running down the lake seems like it runs bow high... 1.5 out of 3 of the tracking fins is out of the water at least... more weight in the rear equals steeper wake, right? add that to the sun deck being the boats widest point and you have a steep wake.

so it seems that the sanger, 205v i presume, and the x1 are steep as well?

dizzy, get off the comp and go ride something.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-23-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
205v = x1 = old x2 = old xstar. You need to come out and ride with me some time.

and I've already been out this morning. going out again in a bit to be the chace boat for a gb shoot.
Old    sking55405            07-23-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
sangers also have a 90 inch beam.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-23-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
Centurion Avalanche has a steep wake. Also wide with the 102" beam.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
only the sanger v210 has a 90". the other ones get as wide as 100"
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-23-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
Realize that BEAM is the WIDEST point on the boat, not the width of the boat in the water or the width of the boat at the transom.
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2006, 9:20 PM Reply   
if that was directed at me then... that why i said "the other ones get AS WIDE AS 100.... but if not then just forget you just read this haha.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-23-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
Nope. Not directed at anyone. Just pointing out that beam is not that informative since many boats taper into the water differently.