Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-08-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
Just wondering how many riders from Alabama were on here and where you ride?

As for me - Smith Lake

Also, I saw that Rambo and the Wakefactory are putting on an event in June and was wondering who all might be going. I definitely think it is a good idea and hope to see a good turnout. Hopefully, I'll be ready for the advanced division by then!
Old     (movinfr8)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-08-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Logan Martin

I am going to try and make the event
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-08-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
Lake Martin

We have a pretty good crew here. Alex Graydon finished like 22nd on Junior X last year and had AJ Racinelli down for a couple weeks last summer to ride with us. Jeff Mathis is one of the smoothest riders out there and usually rolls with us. There are a couple of twins that post on this board that ride down there also. Base camp is over at Ted Watts house near Real Island... We have the No Worries Tour over on the Coosa River 3 times a season and its a great chance to hang with the local guys. After each event we usually head back to Martin for a late night rail jam.

If you ever wanna come down and ride, shoot me a message and we'll drag you around the lake!
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-08-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
Gantt Lake, Andalusia

Luker, my son Blake competed in the NWT a couple of times last year and will probably be back there for it again this year. I would like for him to ride with ya'll some this summer and maybe get him to the next level.
Old     (airwaker)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-08-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
dog river- mobile, al.

week days are great here. weekends are pretty terrible conditions. lots of tubers, joy riders, jet skis where we ride which limits us to early morning or late afternoons on the weekends (probably the same everywhere).

we have a fully rounded crew that ride together. i have a super air nauti and the other peeps have a mobius and a mastercaft x5. always taking turns.
Old    sdahockey21            03-08-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
Live in Fl but sometimes ride on Lake Jackson in Florala. It is right no the FL AL boarder, hence the name. Nice little lake
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-08-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
smith lake for me
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-08-2008, 9:55 PM Reply   
Warrior River west of Birmingham. You can always find good water. Just got back (about 1 hour ago) from picking up my new to me VLX. We also ride behind a Sport Nautique.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
Walt, I just checked out wakefactory.com and the Spring 2 Summer event looks like it would be fun. Have you been to one of their events before? We may try to get up their to that.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-09-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
Never been. I heard about the tournament through Rambo and it seemed like a good time. It's good to see some buzz starting to generate in the North Alabama area.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-09-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
Allen, that'd be great. I was the announcer last year for advanced and outlaws at the first and last NWT. Make sure your son says hey to myself or Ted at the first one this year and we'd love to have you guys over for the rail jam at teds afterwards. Or if you are at the lake any this summer we ride bright and early and really late.

Give me a call and we'll set something up... 334-447-9039 (David)
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-09-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
Allen, I just saw you are a CPA...who do you work for? I'm a senior associate with Jackson Thornton in Montgomery. :-)
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-09-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
im from south mississippi but ride on the fish river outside of mobile al whenever i get a chance.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
Luker, I noticed your occupation also. I'm a partner in a small local firm in Opp (Warren, Sasser & Assoc.). We're looking forward to the NWT. We'll look ya'll up. What division are you riding?
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
Luker, by the way, the picture in my profile is of Blake at the 2nd NWT last year.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-09-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
Ingram Lake for me. I also ride Smith from time to time.
Old     (wkbdboi)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-10-2008, 3:56 AM Reply   
I am one of the twins that Luker mentioned. we have a great crew down there, everyone is really nice and we are all great riders. I have to throw up a few.... Alex Graydon is the man, and one of the best riders I know... Taylor Renfro goes bigger than anyone out there and has the most steeze on the water.... last Ted Watt's is an amazing guy who is always welcoming, and has a few up and coming rippers.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
I ride intermediate and am without a doubt nothing special :-) Once you're past the age of 21, progression is all relative...LOL

Glad to see you chime in Brand, I new you'd pop up sooner or later, and I second the Renfro comment...That kid rips.

You guys have got me ready to roll...Saturday and sunday are looking pretty nice, 75 and sunny both days. I've already sent Ted and email to see if they are planning on riding.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-10-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
Luker, how in the world are you gonna be able to ride Saturday? Need some tax returns to work on? JK, wev've been out about every weekend ourselves. Where there's a will there's a way. If ya'll need a couple of extra riders this weekend let me know.

Blake rode intermediate last year. It was just his 2nd year riding, so he struggled in that division. He will be a more solid intermediate rider this year.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
We have mandatory 5 hrs on saturday. I'll work from 5am-10am and be on the water before lunch!

I came over from KPMG in Atlanta and this is the first "Tax" work I've ever done, I'm trying to convince these guys all I know how to do is audit :-) so I can get out of some of this individual tax work!

Intermediate is so broad because you'll have guys that don't want to be classified as a "beginner" so they ride intermediate when they shouldn't, and you'll also pick up some guys that could be advanced but want to take home some hardware...Its a crapshoot. Keep him riding...time on the water with quality riders is the only way to correctly progress. I rode for a really long time by myself and hardly progressed any. After only one season riding with Ted, Alex and Jeff, my riding has progressed twice as much as all the years I rode alone.

Sunday after church looks like the best time but we'll probably hit it Saturday as well. Once I hear what the scene is going to be like I'll post up and let you know...
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
Although they are calling for a little rain...weather.com has it going up to 83 degrees on Saturday:-) not bad when it was snowing on the way to work 2 days ago.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-10-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
Yeah, Blake seldom gets to ride with guys better that him. He rode INT his first year and that really helped him learn tricks from the ground up and build a good foundation. He'll ride with guys who can throw an invert but can't do a basic 180.

I haven't looked at the weather but it definately sounds like a great time to ride if the wife hasn't got prior plans.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-11-2008, 5:13 AM Reply   
I'm in Mississippi but my parents have a condo in Orange Beach and I ride sometimes with friends in Coffeeville, AL. I'm always looking for more people to ride with and I'm not afraid to travel. I'm in Hattiesburg which is 2 hours from Mobile and 4 from Bham.
Old     (teresamarie)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-11-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
Gantt Lake, Near Andalusia Alabama here!
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-11-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
I'm so jealous of all of you who get to ride Smith Lake. Of all the lakes i've ever visited, Smith Lake is my favorite. I actually ahve a pictue of Smith Lake that I blew up poster size and framed. Also brought back a big piece of sandstone. Is that comp in June on Smith Lake?
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-11-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
xgirl. Give us a heads up next time you are around smith. my wife would love to have another female in the boat. we ride about 3 or 4 days a week so feel free to come along
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-11-2008, 7:15 PM Reply   
We ride the river in huntsville 3-4 days a week.

That contest is on guntersville
http://wakefactory.net/events.html
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-13-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
hey justin when can we go riding during spring break
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-13-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
when is your spring break. we are talking about going this weekend and fri and sat of next week. I am hoping my boat will be ready early next week.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       03-14-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
Hi Xgirl, The INT is having a two day stop on Smith Lake July 19th & 20th. I'm planning on having Cathy Williams at our lakehouse sometime starting the 21st for a few days,if you are interested in a clinic day on Smith Lake. I think the event in June is on lake Guntersville, that was the info I got at the boat show.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
Karen, do you know when the INT will be in Guntersville this year? The tour isn't posted on their site yet.
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-14-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
my spring break starts now and I'm ready to go so just call me when your ready
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       03-14-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
Hi Allen,
The website has been updated, get on event schedule for the state. I don't see a stop for Guntersville this year unless they add one later. They have added a few two day stops this year instead of adding other areas.Hi Trew what is your phone #, I can take you out one day next week, my nieces are out for Spring Break later.I just sold my 22Ve Demo but I have a friend's 22Ve on my lift right now,it needs a major cleaning, which I plan to do next week sometime.
Old     (davidhep23)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-15-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Smith Lake for me. Ingram lake whenever Justin lets anyone on it. We all can't have our own personal lake like Justin.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-15-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
I hear you Hoff. Justin is being a snob about that lake. All he did is talk about how cool it was last summer and that we should go out.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-15-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Its Saturday at 11am....I'm heading to Martin...if anyone is on the water, ride over to the real island area and look for an orange and blue SANTE 211, or a big white funbox. Feel free to stop by!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-15-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
Luker, how do you like the 211? My buddies were looking at one at the B'ham boat show. They currently have a Sport Nautique and are wanting to move up to a V-drive layout.

BTW, if anybody is wanting to buy a clean Sport Nautique (DD), PM me and I will get you in touch with them.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-16-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Its Ted's boat and it throws a nice wake. A little more narrow than the 210 and not as hard. I like it because its a little more predictable and doesn't buck you like the 210...but thats because I'm a nancy :-) We've sacked it out with about 600-700 over stock and it throws just like a 236.
Old     (rpc29)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-16-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
Any of you guys know anything about Lake Weiss?
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-18-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
justin if you are going friday and saturday what time would you be going
Old     (ega6)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-18-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Russellville, AL

We ride a the bear creek lakes(three medium/small sized lakes around us, but can almost always find smooth water), Tennessee River, and Smith occasionally.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-18-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
trew, we should be going out around the middle of the day. I'm gonna try to take the boat out thursday afternoon to make sure everything is working fine. If so we will be out a little after lunch. See if you can get a ride to Cullman.