Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-11-2006, 5:30 AM Reply   
My son will be turning 6 in July and I would like to try and get him up on some skis. Any suggestions on type or brand of good/easy trainer skis? I don't think 6 is too young for skiing but when do you think he could try wakeboarding? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-11-2006, 5:59 AM Reply   
parks first skied before he could walk
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-11-2006, 6:08 AM Reply   
My son skied last year at 4. He took some time to get up but once he was up, he didnt fall until I stopped the boat. He is skiing this year as well, and we have been working on deep water starts. We are using training skis that are like these, http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Combo_Water_Skis/Combo_Water_Skis/Junior_Combo_Water_Skis/_Connelly_Cadet_Trainers/index.asp To use these, you need three to begin with, one to drive, one to hold the rope, and one to help start on shore.

I hope to have him up on a wakeboard soon, he has tried to get up but has not yet. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask here or email or PM.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2006, 6:21 AM Reply   
If you have access to a barefoot Boom that works very well and you only have to go about 10 MPH.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-11-2006, 6:36 AM Reply   
Best choice is a barefoot boom. Second best is the junior skis with the handle that the person in the boat holds on to. The rope is attached to the child's skis and they also have a handle to hold on to. Here is a picture:
http://www.boarditup.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=193

Good luck
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-11-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
i have a 5 year old that we got up on some HO skies when she was 4.After she was comfortable on the skies we got her a 119 hyperlite wakeboard (still way to big for her).....here's a pic of the skies...Upload
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-11-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
I learned on a setup similar to that but I would go straight for the wakebaord. Get him a small setup and drag him along the shore at first. If he's comfortable at doing that, try to get a hold of a kneeboard and go behind the boat with him. You can lay on your stomach next to him and help stabilize the wakeboard with your free hand on the take off. That's how I taught my nephew. Good luck!
Old    dlb988            04-11-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Kids can ski or wakeboard easily at 6. We have 4 kids who all were up between 4 and 5. The key is go slow with both the teaching, (A few reps on land helps alot) and the boat speed. A kid doesn't need to go much faster that 5-10 mph. As they get more stable increase the time behind the boat long before you increase the speed.

Have fun.
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       04-11-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
i learned to ski at age 5. It wasnt bad. I would make sure your son has had swimming lesson first. I took swimming lesson at four. My family would not letme near the water til I learned how to swim. Good luck. BTW the trainer skis that are attached and the person holds the rope on the other end might be your best bet.
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-11-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
First off thanks for all of the great advice! I have some trainer skis that may be identical to the ones pictured although i do not think they came with the double handled rope. Am I correct in thinking you DO NOT attach the rope to the boat since it is attached to their skis as well?

Did most people start dock/beach or deep water? I am trying to figure out a way to do a dock/beach start. How about a large inflatable in the lake, he can stand on the water and I could sit behind him, holding him until the boat moved forward? My problem is my lake is a no wake around the entire shore line and I may have some grumpy neighbors doing continued beach starts.

Thanks again for the help.
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-11-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
Correct! DO NOT ATTACH THE ROPE TO THE BOAT IF THE ROPE IS TIED TO THE SKIES.....have someone sitting in the back holding the rope. That way when the little one falls you can immediately let go of the rope....I too thought about starting her off on a dock/beach but I wanted her to be familiar and gain the strength to stabalize her self in open water....she was 4 when we started her so the board/skies where hard for her to maintain....she was only around 38lbs at the time....
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=11204
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-11-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
Dude, I saw that at overtons and didn't know if it would be a waste? Any experience with it? It seems as though everyone thinks 5-6 is no probable with trainer skis I will probably go that route. Although, would love to hear if you have experience with it and I may try it for my 3 year old.
Upload

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-11-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
i saw an episode of the show real tv. And they showed this baby water skiing. He was like 10 months old or something, and said he held the record for the youngest person to water ski. The guy hosting the show said the little guys name was Parks Bonifay. I did a double take. Pretty amazing, i think it said his parents were in the ski show at sea world or somethin like that. Hes probably spent more time on the water then land.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-11-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
Old Chicago, Kids at 3 will love the device that you've shown above. It's very stable and super easy to use and nearly fool proof. Go very slow, no faster than 5-10 mph.
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-11-2006, 11:02 AM Reply   
Yes- both my kids learned on the skimmer. Dad (me) would run up and down the beach when the kids were 3 and they'd ride the skimmer. Then we moved to behind the boat. As stated above, DO NOT HOOK THE ROPE TO THE BOAT!
I actually taught both kids to wakeboard running down the beach pulling them

Have fun- good luck- the skimmer is great
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-11-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
Old C,

Here's how I learned, pic below w/ my dad pulling me through the modesto resovior, I was prob 3 or 4 at the time... What great memories this photo brings back =) best of luck to you & your son...

Upload
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-11-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
I have training skis similar to the ones in Joe B's post that were only used once or twice that I'd be willing
to sell relatively inexpensively. Email me if interested.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-11-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
I have a friend who taught his 3 year old daughter to wakeboard. She is 6 now goes w2w hs and ts and most of her 180's down. Started her out pulling by hand in the pool then the lake. The biggest challenge is overcoming fear of the water. My wife is very afraid of the water. I took my boys to the lake without her to teach them not to be afraid. She goes some today but her fear still shows when they fall. If she had always been along I don't think they would have ever learned to wakeboard.
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-11-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
Sweet pic Aaron! Those are the kind of memories I hope to create for my kids. I am now confident I can get my soon to be 6 year old skiing this summer but not so sure about my 3 year old. My 6 year is a good swimmer and has had a lot of lessons, my 3 year old on the other hand cannot swim and although I have a childs vest for him it does not prevent him from rolling face down in the water. Not good if he were to fall and I was not right there. Maybe for the 3 year old we will stick to the beach for now.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-11-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
Here is a short video of my friends daughter. I believe she was still 3 maybe 4. She was already learning tricks, wave to the judge, touch the water. Started crossing the wake a couple weeks after this video.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php?photo=9563&cat=500&ppuser=3079
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-11-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
We are going to start our daughter 3 1/2 this summer. Last year I just pulled her while she was holding the rope handle (no skis) on so she could get the feel of water in her face and get used to floating with her lifejacket. We also bought her a bare jacket that is simular to ours so it was easier for her to swim with it on than some of the other bulky kids jackets. We might also try my son who will be 2 in June (only because whatever big sis does he wants to do.) Knowing him he'll prob. ski before her. As long as they are having fun that is most important
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-11-2006, 10:15 PM Reply   
WOW.. George, that was so awesome!!!! Her legs look like tiny sticks in those big bindings. What a doll!!
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-12-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
Suggestion:
Water safe swim school. Teach the kids how to swim, or at least roll over on their back and float. God forbid your 4 year old that can't swim come out of their jacket.....
Have Fun!
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-14-2006, 10:34 PM Reply   
great pic lzy, and awesome movie, george! we've been trying to get my son to kneeboard, now he wants to try skis. we'll see if the weather ever cooperates....
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-15-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
George...that is awesome. If only, all of us could have started @ that age.
Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-15-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
My little brother started last summer and he loves it. He is 6 also.

good luck
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-15-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
George...that is so awesome!!! I never thought of starting a little one like that.
Chicago...We started my 10 year old on those trainer skis like Joe has when he was 3. We used to deep water start him fairly close to the shore. I would get in the water with him and help him get up when the boat started. Then I would swim to shore or if I was out too far I would bring a flag with me and just hang out in the water, close to shore, with a flag. DO NOT ATTACH THE SKIS TO THE BOAT. Hang on to it so you can let go if they fall. My son has been wakeboarding for 3 years now and still uses a 119 hyperlite motive....great kid board. I think it depends on the kid as to whether you should start on skis or go straight to a wakeboard. Mine was afraid of the wakeboard but not skis until he got a little older. But the most important thing is that they have fun.