Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    alanp            06-25-2004, 8:42 PM Reply   
well my bought into the hype thinking 303 was gonna be worth the bucks to a bought a bottle of the cleaner and the protectant. i did a side by side on my engine cover(my boat has been sitting for 2 months while the tranny was rebuilt). i used 303 and greased lightening(my standby cleaner) anyway it wasnt even comparable. GL blew that stuff away. it was like putting tee ball players against major leaguers. anyway hopefully the protectant is a little better. i washed my hands after applying the protectant and it felt like i had astroglide on them. laters
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-26-2004, 6:10 AM Reply   
I didn't think the 303 cleaner was very good either. I use fantastik and it works great. The protectant is the best thing out there.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-26-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
I bought some Fantastik, because it's one of the few cleaners that's approved by Mastercraft for use on the vinyl of my X2. I was pretty disappointed. My own spit works better for cleaning than this stuff.

I am one of those people that uses Simple Green to clean everything; my hands, my bathroom, the bugs off my tower speakers, EVERYTHING. Simple Green is at least 10X more powerful than Fantastic, but the manual specifically says NOT to use it on the vinyl.

I hope I don't get any new stains, because fantastic is pretty weak, and I haven't heard too many rave reviews of 303 either.

Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       06-26-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
Are you talking about 303 aerospace protectant? The protectant is the good stuff - BUT it is not a cleaner. It just protects the vinyl from cracking and fading. I think they make a cleaner but I have never tried it. I can vouch for the protectant though. My 5 year old vinyl looks like new.
Old    tommyadrian5            06-26-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
303 is not a cleaner as much as a protectant/conditioner. Using fantastik is the worst thing you can do to your vinyl, as it is ammonia based and will eventually dry it out. If there is somethign that won't come out with 303 i'll use fantastik but always put a coat of 303 on aferwards.
Old    tigejohn21i            06-26-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
I use Simple Green, even though nobody recommends it because it turns things green... I just keep it away from the upholstery stitching (which will turn green in a heartbeat). But man, for the vinyl, it cleans like nothing else.
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
Tige recommends Fantastik, I always use it and it seems to work fine. After cleaning I use the 303 Protectant.

Some spots I cant get out though, I dont know if its bug guts or crap but its neon green/yellow. I dont know what the hell it is....
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-26-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
yeah, i just used the 303 stuff yesterday, and it better be a protectant, cause it sure as hell doesn't clean worth a crap.

i've found that at the end of the boating day, just take the wettest towell you used after boarding or whatever, and wipe down all the seats, that does the best for me.
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
should say on the bottle whether or not its a cleaner or protectant. The protectant is slick not to mention it makes fart noises when you move around on the vinyl.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-26-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
Braap, I have those same yellow bug crap marks. They seem to go away eventually, but I don't know what they are from. I seem to get one or two on every trip.

Tom, I don't think Fantastic will hurt the vinyl, or else the boat manufacturers wouldn't recommend it.

Simple Green has a new "Crystal" version that is clear, so it shouldn't turn stuff green. I'll probably use that on tough stains.

The day I brought my boat home, some idiot jumped in and sat down on the seat with a red ball-point pen in his pocket, no cap, and writing tip sticking OUT of his pocket! I had an 8 inch long red line drawn on my BRAND NEW boat. I attacked it with Simple Green and it came right out.

Old    bigj            06-26-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
Try Meguiars Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner, Blows everything else away that I have tried including 303, Fantastic, and Simple Green. The stuff rocks.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-26-2004, 3:53 PM Reply   
starbrite concentrated vinyl shampoo seems to be working well for us, then we coat it with the 303 protectant.
Old     (elcarteros)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-26-2004, 8:26 PM Reply   
ok, So, what about the fiberglass..........
I have found that Soft Scrub Citrus (because it has no bleach) works great on shoe marks, smudges and basic cleaning of the gell coat.
Old    bigd            06-27-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
So you have astroglide on your hands a lot?
Old     (wakemanlm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-27-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
I agree that the 303 is a great protectant.. I use just ordinary soap and water on my bu then rinse it clean.. it does work well
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-27-2004, 7:12 PM Reply   
The spots are spider crap, I think...