Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (jfisher03)      Join Date: May 2008       07-06-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
i have seen a lot of setups on here where the sub has the magnet showing and the cone inside the box. what are the pros and cons to this and is there anything different you have to do with the box or wiring or anything?
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-06-2009, 9:52 PM Reply   
I don't think there are any pros or cons. I feel that It is just something different to do visually
Upload
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-07-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
I did mine just cuz it looks pretty! lol
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-07-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
No pros or cons that I know of other then the magnet on the outside of the box will take up more room then having it in the box.. This is usually done for looks only. If you take this route you will need to wire the sub backwards (out of phase)
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-07-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
You are referring to single-reflex bandpass enclosure. This box gives a lot more bass than sealed or ported, but can be boomy if it isn't built right. Check out the link for higher learning: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes4.asp
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-07-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
Justin-

Magnet in, or magnet out usually makes no difference acoustically. It is a style or cosmetic thing for the most part. Some nutty purists will build two boxes, one with magnet in, and the other with magnet out. The theory behind this is that there are non-linear distortions present with normal transducers, and using one each way will concel those non-linearities out.

DB- A single-reflex bandpass is one where you have the woofer totally inside between two enclosures. One enclosure is sealed, the other is vented. the only thing getting sound into the listening area is the port.

If you can touch the woofer, front side or back side without reaching through a tube, it is not a bandpass.

Phil
Kicker
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-07-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Phil,

I mis-read the question and jumped to the pretty green sub box too soon, my bad. The box in that picture is a bandpass box. Thank you for clarifying that for me.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
He is referring to an isobaric box where the speaker is mounted backwards. Like Phil said makes no difference in the sound, people just like the look. Speaker manufactures have started making the magnet and basket of the speaker look better than the cone. Also some people like isobaric for areas where the cone could get hit and damaged. Technically it's just a reverse loaded sub enclosure. I always just called these Isobaric, but that term refers to the way in which two subs are loaded into a box push-pull, compound or passive radiator.

(Message edited by yubasanger on July 07, 2009)