Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-20-2010, 12:45 PM Reply   
So this summer I got the privilege of meeting a really nice Minnesota Wakeskater names Kyle Mehrkkens. We meet because I was selling some older wake gear on craigslist.com and he wanted to buy some new boots for a younger cousin of his. Anyway when he was over he was telling that he has this vision of converting an electric golf cart into a winch that will be totally electric and automatic so you can use it alone. I was skeptical to say the lease on a number of levels about his vision. I didn’t think it would be possible to convert a golf cart, get enough torque to pull a boarder, and that it could be automatic so there is no need for the winch driver. I told him to keep me posted on his progress.

I have been in contact with Kyle a bit over the summer on and off and this morning I get this email entitled, “wakeboard machine.” I opened it up only to find out that Kyle made it work and has been using his “wakeboard Machine” successfully. I am floored!!!! This thing is Genius!!!
Without divulging all the details on how it works, here are the basics. Drive the golf cart into the position you want to have the which in (no more carrying the winch, yes this might cause limitations to the spots you can shred) once your where you want to be you chain the cart up, jack up the back end (or remove the wheels) . This is where it gets cool, you pull the rope out just like a normal winch once your set and your board is on you give the rope a sharp tug and it engages the clutch which gets the electric motor going and presto you are riding. Once you hit the slider or gap and do something amazing you toss the handle with the tension is off the rope for a few seconds the clutch disengages and the winch stops. Then repeat!! I am amazed at this, basically green wakeboarding or skating.

Kyle is looking for people interested in taking this idea to the next level if you’re interested in learning more and getting in touch with Kyle PM me. Way to represent the Minnesota wake scene Kyle, thanks for letting me share this!!!

Last edited by wakeworld; 09-23-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Photo removed at the request of the photo owner.