Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
This might be one of those threads where I look like a jerk but I feel like somebody has to do it.

Let's make a list of music that should not be used either because it's been done too many times or was used in a part that was so good no other edit will do it justice, or because we flat out don't like the song.

I'll start with a few -

1. Sail - Awolnation. Don't do it, this was in Lyman's farewell and then they used it in Defy (still annoyed about that) and just about every homemade wake vid last year. Let's dig into our iTunes library and find something else.

2. The Devil is in the Beats - Chemical Brothers. Patrick Wieland made this song way too sick in his Lipsmack teaser for Oli Derome, let's not mess with that.

3. ANYTHING BY BLACK EYED PEAS.

Ok take it from here.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-11-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
That's a pretty solid start right there. I would add anything dubstep. Dubstep is the most god-awful sound humans have ever produced and tried to call it music.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-11-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
I am calling this one now...Midnight City by M83.

Also, if anyone makes anything that causes me to hear Adele's voice in any way, shape or form I am closing the window. LOL
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
I am calling this one now...Midnight City by M83.

Also, if anyone makes anything that causes me to hear Adele's voice in any way, shape or form I am closing the window. LOL
better restart my workflow... hahaha just kiddin
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fish View Post
That's a pretty solid start right there. I would add anything dubstep. Dubstep is the most god-awful sound humans have ever produced and tried to call it music.
I'm with you here, as long as The Glitch Mob doesn't count as dubstep, because I don't think it is. And if it is, they should get a pass because their music ruckin fules.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7708 View Post

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
if you do it, then i'm doing this.

Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
I think music with a dubstep influence has its place. I've noticed that super crunchy ones tend not to get real rave reviews. That being said, these few tracks have been well received with our riding crew and all have dubstep influence.

Good Good Night- Roscoe Dash (Turboswag Mix)
Old Man- Neil Young (Sound Remedy remix)
Dani California - RHCP (Manic Focus Remix)
Wait So Long- Trampled by Turtles (Manic Focus Remix)
Old     (c5dagand)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-11-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
I love to listen to Nickelback or LMFAO when I ride.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2012, 12:15 PM Reply   
Call Me Maybe has taken over my campus... haha
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-11-2012, 12:29 PM Reply   
I would love to make some vids with these songs just to piss you off OP. Seriously though, good picks.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
^^ I know it is kinda of a dickish topic but somebody had to say it!
Old     (ShredCandlewood)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 1:38 PM Reply   
rack city by tyga has swept the bar scene in VT. I could go without hearing it again
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-11-2012, 3:17 PM Reply   
Im with you guys in hoping everyone gets over dubstep real quick. I dont mind it once in a while, but I much prefer to listen to musicians who play instruments.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-11-2012, 3:45 PM Reply   
I don't understand all the hate on dubstep. Someone please explain in more detail then "god-awful sound." I listen to all sorts of music from rock, hiphop/rap and a little country. I'm a big fan of house/dub/electro-tech/EDM (electric dance music). Maybe it has to do with our generation gap. (I'm 21). I think it also has to do with social lifestyle. For example if you don't like to go to music festivals, raves, house parties and dance clubs then dubstep probably is not the music for you.

Also check out thissongissick.com a lot of free music. If you do check out the two playlist on the right hand side of the site (banger & chill)
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter_WW View Post
I don't understand all the hate on dubstep. Someone please explain in more detail then "god-awful sound." I listen to all sorts of music from rock, hiphop/rap and a little country. I'm a big fan of house/dub/electro-tech/EDM (electric dance music). Maybe it has to do with our generation gap. (I'm 21). I think it also has to do with social lifestyle. For example if you don't like to go to music festivals, raves, house parties and dance clubs then dubstep probably is not the music for you.

Also check out thissongissick.com a lot of free music. If you do check out the two playlist on the right hand side of the site (banger & chill)
i think there is just stuff that doesn't work, when i see videos that have heavy dubstep music it looks like somebody made a video and then attached a song to it and that the video was never actually edited with that song in mind.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-11-2012, 6:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Im with you guys in hoping everyone gets over dubstep real quick. I dont mind it once in a while, but I much prefer to listen to musicians who play instruments.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-11-2012, 7:48 PM Reply   
^ I said there were exceptions, and I respect Skrillex based on his past solo work and From First To Last. But a lot of it just sounds exactly the same, and its all so heavily synthesized that i find it almost impossible to relate to the making of that kind of music, because no instrument I play makes that sound. Not my forte.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-11-2012, 8:04 PM Reply   
Please no techno by any means
Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-11-2012, 10:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
i think there is just stuff that doesn't work, when i see videos that have heavy dubstep music it looks like somebody made a video and then attached a song to it and that the video was never actually edited with that song in mind.

Last edited by 9645glazier; 04-11-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-12-2012, 4:10 AM Reply   
I ****ing love dubstep, sure I'm under 30....so i guess its implyed right? lol but there's not another genre of music that captures the heart racing crazy ass feeling of adrenaline running through your veins as you come into the wake and hit it just before you try a new trick. Take a second and look up Nero, or doctor P. The thing is that you don't need an expensive instrument/recording booth to make good sounding music anymore, so youtube has become saturated with bad stuff.
Anyways! Bring on the Bass, and yes i agree that its obnoxious when a song is tacked on at the end, the music is half the edit. and the vid clips should be made to the pace of the song.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-12-2012, 4:12 AM Reply   
I love edits to old school rap too! like the "Danny, Ruck, and Chad..." video on the Ronix podcast
Old     (fgcuwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-12-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
I second on the old school rap! not sure the artist from the Friends section that starts with Watson on Push Process, but that beat with the feel of the edit is awesome!
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-12-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter_WW View Post

If you are at least 25 you should get this.

Or also this. (Hopefully it shows up b/c my work computer blocks the image)

Last edited by the_fish; 04-12-2012 at 8:35 AM.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-12-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
i am not a big dubstep guy either, but I have to say if its not DUBSTEP - like massive base and just choppy and bad, and its actually music with dubstep influence, then its okay. I mean, 'country' music isnt always a twang and deep voice singing about his wife leaving him and dog, etc. (I dont like country either) but what I mean is music can never be defined. You cant define something that is ever changing. That said this 'dupstep' song is sick, and if you like dupstep, or versions of it, give 'er a listen...cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Bparw9Jo3dk

Can someone tell me how to post the video directly to the post?

Last edited by nwsjake10; 04-12-2012 at 9:12 AM.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-12-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
I'm 30, work a corporate job and have a boner for Dubstep. Put it in all the edits this year and Im' gold.

First person to put Modestep - Sunlight into a HD edit wins my affection and a share on facebook/twitter.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-12-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
thats what i just posted up there jeff - did you click on the link? I dont know how to post it in the box...
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-12-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsjake10 View Post
thats what i just posted up there jeff - did you click on the link? I dont know how to post it in the box...
I didn't click but you have good test. Use the "imbed" link from Youtube to have it show here..

While you're at it - post Modestep Feel Good as well
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-12-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
that is crazy we were on the same song there..it was either sunlight or feel good..

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-12-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
I apologize for stereotyping before Jeff, i know it's wrong and i promise to do it less. =) and i think if someone properly fits an edit to that song, itd def be playing on my computer 24/7 lol
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-12-2012, 1:12 PM Reply   
Not sure if I should post songs that I'm planning to use on a video, to call dibs, or not to hide them....

Anyways Lil wayne, nicky minaj, beiber, anything associated with simon cowel, any "artist" under 16 (I can't think of many but chances are this'll rule out a good few I've been spared from hearing so far (I'm sure there's some exceptions though)). Basically I think what I'm saying is anything that could be considered to have a primary audience of 14 year old girls.

Also I think it's good to rule out songs that are already immediately associated with other vids. Like Fabrication by Emalkey and Kids by Sleigh Bells are both awesome tracks on DEFY. Not sure if I want to hear them on other vids when I've already made the link between them and DEFY.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-12-2012, 1:29 PM Reply   
I hate anyone who hates this song.

Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-13-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
^^ That song is not too bad but the thing that I can't stand with dubstep is almost every song like that one has 1 verse. I just can't get into songs where you hear the same verse over and over and over. Now in my partying days I would listen to this stuff for hours straight if I took shrooms, X, or some molly.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-13-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
Jeff is there anywhere to down load the modestep sunlight song.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-13-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
jarod - look them up under UKF, that might help