Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-27-2012, 5:13 PM Reply   
Guys,

Long time lurker, finally signed up. Love the Lon and RyansXstar stories! I pray I get to meet them one day...they are LEGENDS!

Anyhoo, I currently have a 2001 Centurion Concourse, 23'. Love the surf wake...with 1500lbs (ish) of ballast on the port side. I do crap bricks since at that point the water is at the rub rail. If I'm driving, I'm not worried. What concerns me is when I'm NOT driving. Now that I'm a family man, it is a major concern.

I've been reading a lot and think I have it narrowed down to:

2005-2007 Enzo 230
2007+ MB
2005+ Bu Wakesetter
2005+ Tige 23V or 24V

Main requirements:
22'+
NO VISIBLE BAGS
Maximum storage
Awesome surf wake
MAXIMUM freeboard when loaded with surf setup
$40,000 or less

Surfing 80%, wakeboarding 20% (maybe less). Mainly port side, but there will be some darksiders at some point, I'm sure. I'd like to have something decent on both sides. I don't need the most macked out wake so I don't have to slam the boat if I don't have to. That will obviously help with freeboard. I guess the short way of saying it is the most wake with the least (aftermarket) ballast. Bells and whistles are neat but I think I'm a pretty conservative guy when it comes to that (though I do appreciate it), so I really don't care about the bling.

I love the V226 but it's a bit out of my price range.

Recommendations?

Thanks!!!
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-27-2012, 10:23 PM Reply   
Anyone???
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2012, 10:38 PM Reply   
I'll bite. Here you go IMHO...

Do not buy a boat off of its wakesurfing wake. Buy a boat based off of its size, reputation, build, quality, condition, appeal, etc...

No wakeboarding boats will do what you want as far as a surf wake goes (once again IMHO) without external sacks added to it. (I happily own a Bu and do not surf with the wedge down despite what they hype says, and use internal and external ballast.)

If you buying used by over 5 years then opinions based off of those mentioned choices from us here are pretty worthless. It truly comes down to what I mentioned above. A 2005 Bu offered for sale in you area might be much nicer than an 08 Enzo in that area, or vice versa given what that boat has been through.

Just don't put too much priority on our opinions regarding surf wakes when deciding on what 40K boat to buy!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-27-2012, 10:43 PM Reply   
From what you have posted a tige 24V or 24VE with be the best and easist to find from what I can tell.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-28-2012, 4:58 AM Reply   
See the thread in the main discussion about "how many people who wake surf actually surf"

Video in that thread has a guy shredding behind like a 35' inboard fishing boat... That's what I'd buy for a wakesurf only boat, have room for people, booze and learn to fish...
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-28-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Maybe I should have been more specific: 21' -24'. 35' is a bit too long for my driveway, lol.

Since I am primarily wakesurf, I don't see why I should not make a decision based on the surf wake? Maybe I misread your post, Bu Coo???

Maybe I should rephrase my question: with (1) 750lb sack in the port locker+whatever factory ballast is available, which boat is going to have the most freeboard and have the best surf wake?
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-28-2012, 7:53 PM Reply   
look at deep v boats that need less weight to make a great wave. its always easier to make a wakeboard wake than a surf wave. almost every v drive will make a great wakeboard wake. now a lot of flat bottom v drives will not make the wave with ease. It may require a lot of weight. I found that having bags all over the boat made for a Sh@tty day, so if you dont want everyone to have to sit on 2k of bags and have the same rub rail fears. look at boats that are more oriented to surfing, the enzo's, avy, tige line, sanger, mb, supreme has a bunch of deeper v boats. i know you can get a killer wake out of the bu 247, the lsv23 with a lot of weight. etc etc.
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-28-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
look at deep v boats that need less weight to make a great wave. its always easier to make a wakeboard wake than a surf wave. almost every v drive will make a great wakeboard wake. now a lot of flat bottom v drives will not make the wave with ease. It may require a lot of weight. I found that having bags all over the boat made for a Sh@tty day, so if you dont want everyone to have to sit on 2k of bags and have the same rub rail fears. look at boats that are more oriented to surfing, the enzo's, avy, tige line, sanger, mb, supreme has a bunch of deeper v boats. i know you can get a killer wake out of the bu 247, the lsv23 with a lot of weight. etc etc.

Exactly, like I said in my origInal question: which one of them will make a great surf wake and have max freeboard with factory ballast and maybe 1 additional bag in a locker.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-29-2012, 4:07 AM Reply   
TIGE 22v/22ve
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-29-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
Just kick down for the two2six that way you have no regrets! World class wave, the most freeboard, one 1100 lb sack in the rear locker - done!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-29-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
take it to the wakesurf section,you wont regret it.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-30-2012, 5:44 AM Reply   
LOL I see you took TQ's advice,congrats.When I saw your requirements I also thought V226.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-01-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
i bought a 05' 23' enzo i have a 1100# in rear locker I removed the stock hard tanks and installed a 750# under port bench it runs just up to the clam shell seat. to me this makes a great suft wake. i have anywhere from my two kids 45# and 55# wife driving to a hand full up big guys and the wave is plenty big for me. it sinks the rub rail up to the vent. i know guys put more weight in them but im not sure how i could get more weight in the port side with out some weight on the starboard to counter it a bit. i am super happy with the boat.. should be able to find one for 30-35k and leave 5k to up grade bags and pumps. good luck
Old     (1fasdzl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-01-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdjay View Post
LOL I see you took TQ's advice,congrats.When I saw your requirements I also thought V226.

Yep...lol...
I put a deposit down on a new V226. Going to demo it Tuesday! Hopefully it will be the right fit!?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-01-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
The 226 is a great choice. I have surfed most if not all of the top surf boats and so far the 226 is my favorite wave of all of them.My wife and I have been talking about selling our centurion and placing a order for a 226. I have been using the boat builder and think we have the design narrowed down. Now just have to find the right price on a custom order.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-01-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
the older tiges do not have stock ballast so i would check that off considering you will have to fill more sacs every time and there arent already pumps installed.

the 2005 malibu has the diamond hull i believe which isnt the greatest for surfing from what i have heard

i would say an enzo because they are built for surfing and i know they can put out a huge wake, or an MB because they have a ton of stock ballast
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-13-2013, 10:53 PM Reply   
Do you have a picture of your concourse wave?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-14-2013, 3:30 AM Reply   
The older Tige's would be a excellent choice as well as the Centurion.The MB has a good wave also and you may get a newer model year.The Malibu will require the most weight,but will still make a good wave.The Tige 22VE will make a nice surf able wave with only 600 lbs in the rear surf side,but will make a really nice long wave with 900 to 1000 lbs in the surf rear and under the passenger seats.Also need to add some weight off side and up front.The nice thing about the 05-08 Tige's is most of them came without ballast,but can easily be plumbed with a tournament quality bag set up.No matter which boat you choose you should demo it and make sure it works for you.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-14-2013, 8:24 AM Reply   
Don't go past a SAN230. Really a great surf machine in IMHO better than some pointed out above. You should find a 2008 230 or 236 for 40k.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-14-2013, 8:32 AM Reply   
OP post is a year old!!!
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-14-2013, 12:12 PM Reply   
I'm well aware of that I have never seen a sacked out concourse or early typhoon wave, just curious because they are becoming a cheap surf option...
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-15-2013, 5:56 AM Reply   
Take your 40 grand, find two other people with 40 grand, take your now 120 grand and buy a G23 and split it every 3rd week.
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       06-18-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by laptom View Post
Don't go past a SAN230. Really a great surf machine in IMHO better than some pointed out above. You should find a 2008 230 or 236 for 40k.
this is a fact, surfed one this weekend and the wave was awesome on both sides. We had a stupid amount of weight in it, Not sure the exact numbers, but the wave was big with a huge pocket.