Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    blindwilks            04-28-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
Hi,
may be moving to Kona, Hawaii.......was wondering if anybody knows what the wake boarding scene is like over there......

thanks
Sam
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-28-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
expensive and hard on the boat. besides that its lots of fun to ride there. the only place i have ridden though is on the naval base on oahu.
Old    wickedwake            04-28-2005, 5:20 PM Reply   
I second that expensive part but what isnt in Hawaii? The 2004 Tige US Open was held in Kauai, which IMO is the most beautiful place in the world. Cant wait to go back.
Old    80waker            04-28-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
you need the saltwater series X-80 for about 130,000 for some serious riding in hawaii
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-28-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
Samuel,
I'm from Oahu and I've never heard about riding on the Big Island. There's good riding spots on Oahu and Kauai. It's true that gas is expensive but nowadays, that's everywhere. If you plan a trip to Oahu, let me know and I can hook you up with a bunch of people that ride. 2-3 good spots on the island to ride.

Aloha
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-29-2005, 7:35 AM Reply   
Ryan,

Geez, that's good to hear about Oahu!!! The company I work for has picked up a few clients in Oahu and I will be making more business trips that direction in the near future. I had a blast the last trip with the exception of not riding for a week. I'll hit you up prior to my next trip as I'd really like to try riding in paradise.

-Tyler
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-29-2005, 7:23 PM Reply   
No Problem Tyler,
Just shoot me an email and I'll put you in contact with my brother or friends you can ride with.
Old     (wcr)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-29-2005, 8:19 PM Reply   
Im moving to Maui July 21 2005,no riding on Maui that I know of but, I will be coming over to Oahu and kauai!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    blindwilks            04-29-2005, 9:14 PM Reply   
Sounds good, looking forward to getting there......cheers all.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-30-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
I heard that there is rideing out in the lahina harbour, but only when the whales are not migrateing.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-30-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
Erik,
If that is so, I haven't heard much about it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but the riding conditions might not be that great. Just my two cents.
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
Kauai is the best place in the world to ride ---- IMO.. the Wiahlua river is right off the main road, has the most beautiful lush green backdrop, and the water is warm through most the year...go there.. live there... and love it..
Old    hawaiiboarder            05-03-2005, 11:51 PM Reply   
Yo dudes listen up. Need help real bad. Just moved to Oahu down by Waikiki about a month ago and have been looking for people who ride. But not finding any luck. Is anybody out there? please help. Thanks Dudes.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-04-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
Hey Chris,
I got your email this morning. You can contact my brother Reid at hwpa@verizon.net. He was the owner of RNR Surf & Ski but closed the shop a couple of years ago. Sometimes, he takes a while to respond so be patient.
I see that you're coast guard......my friend Camillo is also coast guard and has a boat (87 Ski Nautique 2001). His email is kilowake66@hotmail.com. You can also contact Alan Joaquin at alancjoaquin@hotmail.com. He owns a brand new Nautique SV 211 team edition.
Just a reminder on etiquette in Hawaii....because of the salt water, boats and all gear have to be soap washed after every use so please make sure you make time to help out after riding. If you can't stay to help clean up, it would be a good idea to throw in extra cash to make up for it.
I hope you get hooked up with a ride soon. Aloha
Old    vicarbo            05-04-2005, 8:00 AM Reply   
Hawaii was the best place I ever boarded, I went to Kauai'i last summer, and it was a religious experience, it was incredbile. My cousin lives there, and one day I convinced my dad to take me wakeboarding on the Wailua river, there were no other boats, 2 kayakers, and glass. The boat was a malibu wakesetter, and some old guy drove it, but he was cool. It was kinda expensive, like 50$ for a half hour, but you couldn't ask for better conditions. Here's a pic, if you want more I have some more... and a video of me eating it trying a backroll... Richard

Wailua River Riding
Old    hawaiiboarder            05-05-2005, 12:22 AM Reply   
Ryan~ Yo thanks for the e-mails i will be sure to hit them up. But would you let them know that i am going to e-mail them so they dont think that im some kind of freak or something. Thanks dude. And about staying after and cleaning up dude i know all about that man i have a 2002 malibu lsv back in Georgia and when ever i take it out i always wipe it down and stuff cause i hate all the water spots. But deffinitly I have no problem on wiping whatever down if i get a pull. I can't even imagine if you don't wipe down your boat after being in salt water. But thanks dude and keep in touch. CHRIS
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-05-2005, 10:07 AM Reply   
Chris,
I already talked with my brother so he knows about you emailing. I will let my other friends know as well.
With regards to the clean up, I just want to make sure you understand that it's just not wiping up the boat. The boat and all gear have to be SOAP washed, rinsed down and dry wiped. Plus, the engine needs to be freshwater flushed for about 10-15 minutes. I'm not trying to be a hard ass about this but most people who don't ride in salt water don't realize how bad salt water is for the boat and don't understand that the extensive clean up process after riding.
On occasion, some people haven't been invited back to ride because they never stayed around to help clean up.
With that said, enjoy the water and sunsets. Nothing beats a sunset set! Aloha
Old    miss_melissa            05-11-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
Hey, just found this site. Ryan, I know Reid. I used to board all the time on the base (at RNR) with my boyfriend and friends.
I competeted in the 2002 HWPA Pro Am. Second in womens (but I guess that's not saying alot based on the # of girl riders in HI). Anyway, I'm flying back up to Oahu for 9 days at the end of June and would love to ride with some of the old gang. Reid's shop closed? I'm so sad, it was a hang out of mine. What are his plans next? I look on the net all the time to see who won comps each year in HI and I can never find comp results. Did the grassroots die?
You know Rob, Rad Brad, Steve-O, Rocco, they were my riding friends when I wasn't taking lessons. What did they call themselves? Team Rasta. Anyway, I'll drop another post when it gets closer to fly time to see who's out on the bay. Tell Reid I say hi. I'm Melissa from Anthony and Melissa.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-11-2005, 5:39 PM Reply   
Hey Melissa,
Reid still is the contest director for the local area. He helped organize the Tige US Open on Kauai last November. He still has his full time firefighter job as well as being the Motocross-No Fear & Nautiques rep for Hawaii. He closed RNR a couple of years ago so he doesn't have a wakeboard school or retail shop anymore. Give him a call (same cell number) or email him at hwpa@verizon.net when you get closer to your trip date.

Rob is still riding a lot. I think some of the names for Team Rasta have changed but they're still at it. They either hang out at the sandbar in Kaneohe or ride at the ski club at Keehi Lagoon.

Hope you have a nice vacation. I won't be back until next spring