Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bmr850)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-01-2012, 7:59 PM Reply   
Saw this today on Justin Stephens Twiter. He was a massive influence on wakeboarding films and the business side. RIP COMPANY WAKEBOARDS

"Im a filmmaker that likes to build things. Im a concept to delivery kinda person. I didn't always know this about myself though. Over time I just became more and more passionate about seeing something go from idea, to a realized vision…and not just film related things. I've never felt more unity, strength, and confidence in "team" then during those times. Together, we made impossible things happen. For real. Looking back, things didn't go exactly the way that any of us had hoped that they would go, & for some time, it was ROUGH on everyone. In fact, I have no idea how we even lasted as long as we did in the environment that we were working in & still made amazing things happen. Our team, our crew, inside and out, seriously made miracles happen together that could have never been done individually. That realization & that lesson is something that I will take with me forever. It also applies to EVERYTHING Im focused on moving forward. My heart is full, and am deeply grateful for those who I've been able to share these experiences with. The good and the difficult. Cheers to you all & cheers to the opportunity to be around during one of the most amazing times to be alive… #Loving #Learning #Building"
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-01-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
I need to pick up some of their gear before it's all gone/expensive.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-01-2012, 8:54 PM Reply   
I have a company board bag and rope/handle I will be holding onto for a long time
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-01-2012, 8:58 PM Reply   
Nice keepsakes, but I want to try the boards/boots to see how they ride. Especially the Vandall.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-01-2012, 9:00 PM Reply   
Justin=Class

And I always wanted to try a Vandall too!
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-02-2012, 6:00 AM Reply   
i have been grabbing as much Company gear as I can. have 2 pair of Vandall boots, Recruit, and of course my Vandall board. and a couple of tees, stickers, etc. great stuff.....
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-02-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
I have a pair of company pros, only worn a few times and a bit modified, that I would sell super cheap.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-02-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
Seeing things like this make me hate liquid force. I regret ever buying any of their stuff, here's to hoping company can rise from the grave.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-02-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
ok someone give me the quick and dirty breakdown. Did Tony push Company/Justin around? or out of the business?
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-02-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
Rip company
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-02-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
who does tony finn work for, or what does he do now?
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       02-02-2012, 3:57 PM Reply   
I still dont understand why Company seemed to be targeted specifically. I remember the gossip spreading with some inclusion of slingshot and like obrien or something. But why was Company seemingly the sole target? Didnt Slingshot make Company boards?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-02-2012, 4:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwhit View Post
who does tony finn work for, or what does he do now?
He owns liquid force.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-02-2012, 4:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy1173 View Post
I still dont understand why Company seemed to be targeted specifically. I remember the gossip spreading with some inclusion of slingshot and like obrien or something. But why was Company seemingly the sole target? Didnt Slingshot make Company boards?
I would think it had to do with Justin's involvement at lf films. And he was probably the easiest to take out between slingshot ronix and company. The logosz's have money from kiteboarding, and the O'Brien's are just loaded period. They could have afforded the fight. Its unfortunate but when you are small and get big fast, business (wo)men like Tony Finn take you out.

I have a sneaking suspicion this had something to do with Keith leaving lf...
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2012, 5:39 PM Reply   
Support the little guys...Humanoid in particular has picked up a bunch of the Company riders.
On a side note, apparently O'Shea loved the way the Co Vandall rode and we will see many of the characteristics from this board being integrated into his pro pro-model...but this will take some time. I'm freaking excited about this...I was waiting and waiting to get my hands on a Vandall.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2012, 11:26 PM Reply   
Justin is, and may ever be the nicest guy to ever hit the wake industry.
the guy had and still has sooo much temperance and composure it just oozes like a tasty cream filled pastry

unfortunately nice guys finish last, BUT fortunately, nice guys always finish with a good conscience.

LF will always have a bitter taste in my mouth by my own personal interpretation of things as well as personal experience. but i don't fail to remember and recognize the great things that LF has done and still does. AND one of the many great things to come from LF was Justin Stevens and his films!!
... unfortunately we wont get to see what would have been the film "Good Company" i think it was that was rumored to be in works back when ;(

Man there was so so much drama, page after page on the forums. And that drama will continue on and fester forever like radioactivity, even if but a small trace in the future.
I learned a lot of things about the industry and the politics of it all, some intriguing and some disturbing, but sadly at the expense of a great player, one that was unique and disconnected from the corrupt watersports kindgdom, but connected to the riders.

The ship that was Company may be sunk, but may the crew live on!

-----------------------------

Slingshot avoided the ax not only by being a more matured company, but because they had something to offer in return... a patent on their kiteboard kite control arm or whatever it was. so SS exchanged kite tech for LF boot tech

yes Slingshot did make Company boards... or rather "moonshine manufacturing" http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/bt/...manufacturing/ (which IS slingshot) did

here is a nice little summary article of things that went down and includes a lot of stuff i personally learned about the industry due to the fiasco too
http://stokemeter.com/blog/2011/03/2...operty-rights/

but as said earlier. there is pages and pages of stuff. just got to search through it and make your own decision on what is biased and what is fact and waht is.... blah blah blah
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-03-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
I would take a long look at Phalanx if you guys liked the stuff Company was putting out. The guys behind Phalanx designed the Vandall board, as well as the new Pro and Vandall bindings, bags, etc. Most of the really innovative stuff that people were excited about from Company. If you follow their Twitter feed, they are working on getting the cost down on their gear, which is awesome. AND its all made in the USA w/ Integrity, which is a huge bonus. I currently rock a Vandall, so I am stoked to see what they are doing with their boards.......

And like Justin mentioned, its always good to support the little guys!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-03-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
So is Vandall gonna be a Phalanx team rider?
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-03-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
Moonshine mfg made the Severance and the Recruit, Integrity wakeskates made the Vandall
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-05-2012, 1:58 AM Reply   
I have a mint 2010 severance 138 that I got straight from company right before it hit the fan there that I might be willing to part with. Don't want to get rid of it but I don't need 5 decks sitting in my basement. Maybe $200 plus shipping. Email me for pics if anyone is interested. Mmelvin@tkschools.org
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-05-2012, 2:23 PM Reply   
sounds like what all big companies do when they feel their intellectual property is being stolen. Look at how many people are angry with apple yet they cant do anything cos they just have way too much money to chuck at it. Personally i just think this is business and in order to get to the top u have to step on a few toes.