Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-12-2011, 9:04 PM Reply   
As I'm cruising around the LF site checking out 2012 boards that I wont be buying because I'm a broke student, I notice that they've switched their inserts to metric threads. Really guys?
I know there really isnt a standard anything in wakeboarding (or life), but can we at least try? I got so excited when everyone was finally at 6" binding plates, Slingshot turned to the Fastrack system (or whatever they call their variation of channel mounting) so their bindings were easy to put on everyone's boards...and then wham. The System came out, the use of channel mounts means different hardware (not that it was ever all the same before), and now we have metric stuff thrown in the mix. I know I'm whining about innovation and being competitive with other companies, but HONESTLY! Can we draw the line at threads on binding screws? Dont tell me metric stuff is any better than imperial. Because I wont believe it./rant.
Feel free to put forward compelling arguments as to why metric is better.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-12-2011, 9:56 PM Reply   
The threads are closer together and therefore there are more threads holding your boots down. this video explains it pretty well.

LF has been nice enough that they plan to include the bolts with the board and with the boots as well. everyone will have the necessary hardware provided them no matter how they mix and match brands and years of gear.

maybe there are imperial bolts that accomplish the same thing i don't know, but maybe it was easier to go metric since everything else is made outside the US

Oh, and LF is not the only ones that made this switch, check out LWA wakeboards http://lwa-wakeboards.com/

i kinda wish the imperial system would just die anyway. we, americans are pretty much the only ones using it on the planet. it would take time getting used to but OHHHH so worth it. soo much easier to calculate and remember and make sense of.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-13-2011, 9:41 AM Reply   
Thanks for the video, that makes a lot of sense that they need a finer thread for the thinner boards. And they are certainly doing it right by including the bolts with the boards.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-13-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
Next step in insert innovations will be the next maybe and we'll get very nice explanation that it's the best. Why no? You can use any type of bolts. Thikness of boards will have no limit due not needed lenth of thread. Easy to repair. Holes maybe oval in shape for more positions, etc. Water is no adhesive as snow is and will not accumulate on the bolt surface. Some empty holes have not affect the same as empty fins holes. And very important - you can drill myself any additional holes!!
Attached Images

Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-13-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
I actually like Hyperlites idea the Strata Mounting System. just a thought
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-13-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
i kinda wish the imperial system would just die anyway. we, americans are pretty much the only ones using it on the planet. it would take time getting used to but OHHHH so worth it. soo much easier to calculate and remember and make sense of.
What he said^^^^
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-13-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
Cisco in training? Nice thread
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-13-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
Yeah sorry, I promise I wont make a habit of pointing out the wake industry's hidden agenda to keep the evil truth about their actions from the ignorant masses.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-13-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
are you guys seriously congratulating LF for including bolts?

if i am about to wax $1000 or more on a set up i should at least expect the bolts to put it together.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-13-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenna View Post

if i am about to wax $1000 or more on a set up i should at least expect the bolts to put it together.
Do you live in Europe or something? Only a chump would spend $1000+ on a setup.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-13-2011, 9:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenna View Post

true, it should be expected of them to include the necessary hardware for all situations, its a no brainer for sales and keeping complaint calls down. Heck they even put a giant sticker on their boards to alert people. AND I will congratulate myself for holding my tongue and not drifting into tangents of other things that i dislike LF for, unrelated to this thread... oops backpedaling...
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-14-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
Are you calling Europeans chumps?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-14-2011, 11:31 AM Reply   
Haha no, but **** is extremely expensive over there!
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-15-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
Australia... and yeah prices have just actually come down to around 1000 for a set up.

probably why i still ride my 08 shane.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-16-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
I won't buy a board with metric threads. I hate the metric system with a passion. On my vehicles that have some metric bolts I replace them all with standard fasteners whenever I remove a metric fastener. Never know what size wrench to use, can't tell my looking what the thread or size is, it's just nuts. Words cannot describe the amount of hatred I have for the metric system.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-16-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
haha true 'Murican right here^^^