Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-21-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
It just links back to WW.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-21-2010, 5:09 PM Reply   
It's on the to-do list! Sorry I'm so slow!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-19-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
C'mon, Dave! This was such a hot topic/item 6 months ago. We need those stickers, flyers, web-site. Just a simple drawing or two with bullet points below. Put the pic on nopowerturns.com, a single page. Some stickers maybe or just print the page to put on windshields in the parking lot.

I was out at El Cap yesterday trying to get a couple of runs in at dusk. There were $70,000 wakeboats power turning everywhere. We can't get that San V. wakeboard/slalom park back fast enough. Boy do I miss that.

I've got my money ready for the sticker purchase!

Last edited by ottog1979; 07-19-2010 at 4:48 PM. Reason: $
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 4:50 PM Reply   
same here. there are 3 boats that dont power turn on my lake....
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-19-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
same here. there are 3 boats that dont power turn on my lake....

LOL!!! Sounds all to familiar.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       07-19-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
Dave,

Why don't you turn it into a competition/contest of some sort. Those with background in development could submit layout, content, format, etc for the rest of us to vote on. It might save you a bit of time and we could have some fun of it. Just an idea.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-19-2010, 8:38 PM Reply   
Ok, ok, thanks for staying on me. That's how you get stuff done around here! How about this: http://wakeworld.com/news/feature/fr...powerturn.html

I'm going to use larger versions of the diagrams and I'd like to eventually get a quality video up to show both the right and wrong ways to turn around, but this is a start. Oh, and the stickers and tees are now available!
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 8:47 PM Reply   
what is nopowerturns.com?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 8:49 PM Reply   
Right on man. thanks!
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 8:53 PM Reply   
okay my idiot self just saw the link and went to it, i guess i should have fully read the thread before asking a dumb question
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbass86 View Post
what is nopowerturns.com?
will you be the first to be saved by the new site!?

Sweet that you can use your points to get them. Just ordered 10 of the static ones, and a couple WW decals for my new surfboard and for the truck.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 07-19-2010 at 9:35 PM.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-19-2010, 9:47 PM Reply   
Sahweet !!!
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
will you be the first to be saved by the new site!?

Sweet that you can use your points to get them. Just ordered 10 of the static ones, and a couple WW decals for my new surfboard and for the truck.
I will in deed
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbass86 View Post
I will in deed
Sweet man!!! your next time on the lake will be an eye opener, just watch everyone haha.

one down....how many to go !?!?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-20-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
^millions.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-20-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
schweet..... just ordered my stickers.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-20-2010, 2:02 PM Reply   
Good stuff. One thing that may be missing, and maybe it's just not appropriate for nopowerturn.com, is just the common sense of driving in a straight line back-and-forth whenever possible rather than zig-zagging across the lake. Other than wake surfing, that is the biggest water killer I see at my local lake...bigger than powerturning.

One other common misconception appears to be that powerturning is a faster way to get your rider back up. Is there a way to add a question like:

Aren't powerturns a faster way to get the rider back up?

While powerturns may physically get the boat back to the rider in less time, the rollers created by the powerturning actually make getting the rope to the rider more difficult as both the boat and rider are typically bouncing around, causing a delay in getting the handle to the rider to get back up. In contrast, the non-powerturn gets the boat and rope back to the rider in calm water ready to actually start riding down the same line in similar, often less, time than the powerturn.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
Good stuff. One thing that may be missing, and maybe it's just not appropriate for nopowerturn.com, is just the common sense of driving in a straight line back-and-forth whenever possible rather than zig-zagging across the lake. Other than wake surfing, that is the biggest water killer I see at my local lake...bigger than powerturning.

One other common misconception appears to be that powerturning is a faster way to get your rider back up. Is there a way to add a question like:

Aren't powerturns a faster way to get the rider back up?

While powerturns may physically get the boat back to the rider in less time, the rollers created by the powerturning actually make getting the rope to the rider more difficult as both the boat and rider are typically bouncing around, causing a delay in getting the handle to the rider to get back up. In contrast, the non-powerturn gets the boat and rope back to the rider in calm water ready to actually start riding down the same line in similar, often less, time than the powerturn.
Thats not true, the rollers do the exact same thing the rollers from wakeboarding do, they are just a little bigger. still just pass you once, just like the rollers from someone wakeboarding and driving correctly. same rules apply when surfing, go straight lol.

How about adding.
"would you make a U-Turn in your car by flooring it?"
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-20-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Um, yes and largely no. I'm not talking theory here. Don't want to hijack the nopowerturn thread, but not too many surfers going in straight lines on my lake. At best, they sort of go diagonal and zig zag around aimlessly. At worst, they're doing full on circles in the one wind-protected spot on the lake. Again, I was referring to my local lake, where surfers (and boaters in general) have not gotten the memo on the "rules" to drive straight. Surfers just seem to cause the most damage to the water quality due to the size of the wake and the fact they go slower and generally hang in one spot as opposed to the powerturner who goes every which way on the lake....In any event, back to taking the nopowerturn message to the masses.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-20-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
One thing that may be missing, and maybe it's just not appropriate for nopowerturn.com, is just the common sense of driving in a straight line back-and-forth whenever possible rather than zig-zagging across the lake.
There are a lot of driving tips that we will include in a separate article and we will link to it from the bottom of this article. However, in trying to keep it focused, I decided not to dilute this page with non-power turn related driving tips.

Quote:
One other common misconception appears to be that powerturning is a faster way to get your rider back up.
There are a few "arguable" items like this that I left out. I felt that in order to make the strongest case possible for not power turning, we needed to focus on the obvious, no-brainer aspects. As soon as you add something like this which can be argued, you start diluting your case.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2010, 10:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
Um, yes and largely no. I'm not talking theory here. Don't want to hijack the nopowerturn thread, but not too many surfers going in straight lines on my lake. At best, they sort of go diagonal and zig zag around aimlessly. At worst, they're doing full on circles in the one wind-protected spot on the lake. Again, I was referring to my local lake, where surfers (and boaters in general) have not gotten the memo on the "rules" to drive straight. Surfers just seem to cause the most damage to the water quality due to the size of the wake and the fact they go slower and generally hang in one spot as opposed to the powerturner who goes every which way on the lake....In any event, back to taking the nopowerturn message to the masses.
Gotcha, zig zagging and all that will do the same as a powerturn. If you get the surfers goin straight you should be in the money!!! The guys surfing are going in circles!? haha get them on WW so we can fix that too!
End Hijack