Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jimmyd)      Join Date: Apr 2012       12-05-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
Hi all,

I am looking into getting into a 22 MXZ within the next several months, but I was wondering if anyone had any real experience with the different engines.

I would like to weight my boat quite a bit. Probably the factory ballast, wedge, and roughly 2,500 lbs of additional ballast.

I am leaning towards the LS3 thinking the 350 won't do the job even with a big prop?

Does anyone have any experience with these engines while running with this much weight?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-05-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
Wellllllll though not the same boat my buddies. X25 struggles when you really load her up with 2k extra with the indmar 350. But that's with a stock prop. I would guess the ls3 would be the right choice. Better to make sure its right when you're spending 90k!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-05-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
I have an older Malibu with the 350 monsoon..(or 340 monsoon?) We run close to 2000# on top of the 1250# ballast tanks. Previously had the acme 537 prop and that thing struggled to get on plain with that weight. I repropped with the oj 5 blade and it gets up no problem and holding @ 3450 RPMs but you feel it kinda tip off plain on hard turns with that much weight. If you can afford the motor than jump on it, otherwise reprop it.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-05-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
What altitude are you at? What prop do you plan on running? Surfing or wakeboarding or both?

Demoed an MXZ at 5280 alt, had the 410 and 1235 prop. We were running stock plus 400lbs plug and play bags in the lockers. Took forever to plane out when I was riding behind it. WE needed more weight up front, which would have helped some. If you're going to be running 2500 on top of stock I'd also up grade the prop over the 1235
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       12-05-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
For that kind of weight in an MXZ you should get the 450HP LS3. The MXZ seems to need a bit more engine to plane out than other Malibu's of similar size, likely due to the heaver weight and slightly different hull design. The 410 HP L96 only makes slightly more torque than the Monsoon 350 at the RPM's you would want for planing out with lots of weight. So if you need more than the Monsoon 350 then skip the 410HP L96 option and go for the 450HP LS3.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-05-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
The 6 liter 400 HP motor is plenty. I wouldn't base your decision on Chris' experience at 5300 feet. That's going to make a huge difference. Also, for the best wake behind the MXZ, avoid putting too much weight in the front. It flattens it out.

We ran the first ever prototype MXZ / LS3 all last season. We ended up with stock ballast, wedge, 120 in lead on each side of the motor, 600 in the floor pressed up against the rear seat, and 500 in lead sitting in the walk through right underneath the windshield. Nothing in the nose. This configuration produced a wake comparable to other boats running much, much more weight. And for this application, the LS3 was way more than enough engine. The 6 liter will get it done without a doubt.

I also rode behind the 350. If you're going to add 2500 extra pounds, this probably isn't the best choice. It will get it done, but you'll have to be patient.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-05-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
Wanted to add that we are also running at sea level.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-05-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
The Monsoon 350 is definitely not enough motor with any amount of extra weight. The LS3 is the right motor for that boat.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-05-2012, 9:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Wanted to add that we are also running at sea level.
What prop were you using?
Old     (rcraighughes)      Join Date: Feb 2011       12-06-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
I had 350 in my VLX and only took extra time when you get stock ballast plus 2k bags... Still got there just a little slower
Should be taking delivery of my mxz24 in next two weeks and can give you my impressions of ls3.
It's a pretty big price jump and not sure 'required' but if don't mind some extra cash then don't think you could ever go wrong
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-08-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Just get the LSA and be done with it. All these Supra guys seem to be ordering their MXZ copycat boats with the LSA.