Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (david_kibbie)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-22-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
my sub volume control only works when I have boat speakers up ? That normal?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-22-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
Yes
Old     (david_kibbie)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-22-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
anyway to make it work with tower?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-22-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
You can swap the tower and boat RCA's if you prefer the sub run with the tower versus the boat. If you do the knobs will also read backwards. The sub volume is controlled from both the boat vol and sub vol, both need to be up to play the sub.

It may be possible to bypass the boat vol but it would require some serious circuit board mods.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-23-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
I have the same issue. If your sub amp has a bass boost control feature (my KX600.1 does), I am just going to use that for bass control and remove the sub RCAs from the back of the WS-420 and go direct to the HU.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-24-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
David,

That is not a problem at all. That is the way the 420 is designed. I built a couple of different prototypes and one that had 3 different volumes, one for tower, one for boat, one for sub etc...Add to that the main radio volume and it got very hard to control everything when driving the boat. So the subs are part of the volume for the in boats to make it a bit easier to operate.

The sub is a bass boost control. It is tied into the in boats to separate the zones from tower zone to in boat zone with subs as part of the in boat zone.

A couple of people were wanting to have just towers and subs. Which IMHO doesn't sound right anyway with no in boats at all.

So try this. I think it works a lot better anyways sound wise to have a tiny bit of in boats going.

Set your gains on your sub amp for you sub boost with them pounding away with very little in boat volume. Turn the in boat volume up a tiny bit, turn the knob on the bass boost all the way. Then adjust your gain on your sub amp up. So when you want towers and subs. You turn the in boats up a tiny bit and crank the sub knob.

When you have the in boat volume all the way up. The subs should sound the same with the knob all the way down.

It will sound a lot better this way then to just have towers blaring and sub booming to have a tiny bit of in boats going. This way people can still have a conversation in the boat with the towers up no problem but I feel it sounds much better.

It is all how you adjust your system to how you like to use it.

So give that a try and see what works for you. But if you swap the in boats and towers, you lose the microphone since that goes out the tower output. And if you bypass the sub control and go direct. You lose the line driver from the 420 so you will not have as much voltage going to the sub amp.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-24-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
"And if you bypass the sub control and go direct. You lose the line driver from the 420 so you will not have as much voltage going to the sub amp."

Tim - What if your output voltage on your HU is 6.5V like on my Pioneer Premier HU, am I still going to have a problem with losing the line driver? Wouldn't I just lose the line driver for the sub and not the boat or tower portion?

Don't get me wrong, I love the WS-420 and everything it does. My kids love the microphone option to the point where I have to disconnect it after a while because they won't stop using it.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-24-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
Tom,

Your good. That is a solid voltage out head unit so no worries there. Yes, just for the sub. Would only be an issue if you had a low voltage headunit.

So in your case, if you go that route. Would not be an issue at all.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (david_kibbie)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-24-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
Thanks so much Tim!!!! I called the local Wet Sounds dealer in my area , Funksboards. He came over and got it set straight for me.......... Sounds unbelievable!!!!! #1 IMO