Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-02-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
I have never ridden behind a boat with a ballast system in it....I have a 05 Ebbtide 210 with monster tower on it....I'm lookin to make a bigger wake behind the boat...Was wondering if you guys could help out on what I should look for in weight distribution? Like what should be at front back etc? Thanks guys
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-02-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
I have an 08 Tahoe Q6 and the weight of the boat is about 2800 lbs. We run a 60/40 distribution front to back. total in ballast weight is around 1600-ish lbs. I have a 350lb fat sac in the bow, a 700lb fat sac in the locker and then another 350 in the middle rear. I also have (2) 85lb blocks to equal out the wake to eliminate washout for passenger un-equalness. I have only run it with the new 700lb-er once but it was awesome. This summer we only had the (2) 350lb sacs and the wake wasnt too bad. A bit of washout on the right but hopefully next season that will be prevented. I would suggest getting some 50lb sand bags and trying it to see how much it helps and play around with the weight in different areas. I started off with 350 lbs in sand and then went from there with fat sacs. If you like it and think its going to help, get some fat sacs and get riding...hope I was a little help...
Upload
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-02-2008, 11:16 PM Reply   
When I used to ride behind I/O's we through all of the weight up front and trimmed it up until it was clean on both sides. Easier said than done though...if I were you I would probably get a 750# and put it in the walkway/bow to start with. I would recommend Fly High over Launch Pads sacks. Just my 2 cents.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-03-2008, 12:14 AM Reply   
JT, I've got an '06 Ebbtide 2000, pretty sure its the same hull as yours. I just got a pair of 350# sacks at the end of this season. We put one in the bow, one in the locker. It really helped shape the wake nicely. I may experiment with some more weight in the rear next year to get it a little bigger. But for some reason on that boat, even though everybody always recommends it, trimming up does not seem to help.

I can't find any decent pics of the wake right now, I've only been out twice since I added the weight and my wife likes to zoom in too much. If I go out again, I'll make sure to post up before and after pics.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-03-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
Sorry, forgot to add that we trim it up 1/2. Perfect pass is a must if you are going to keep it for a while...night and day difference...
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-03-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
yeah we were considering perfect pass system cause we board and ski and its a pain keepin it a constant speed....But what I'm gettin from the post is that i want more weight up front...is that right?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-03-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
Definately more up front...prolly a 60/40 split...really 60 percent up front, 20 middle (in the locker/walkway) and then 20 in rear. But yeah you want front end weight to keep that front down. It will turn sharp and be aware that the weight is there...I've seen some people say add it slowly and learn to drive with it, add more as you are comfortable...learn it, etc.
I have 2 Straightline bags (2 350's) and a Fly High 700lb bag. My 85lbers are straight line. They all have the same connections and both work well...
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-03-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
Weight in the front helps a lot with bow rise too. Our boat (18 ft I/O with a 350) is a pig to drive with no ballast especially taking off, but with 500 lbs in the front tank (250 litre Stainless steel, under the floor) it settles down a lot and planes out a lot flatter too. The bow rise weighted is probably half or even less compared to driving it unweighted.

We generally run the front tank full and that's it. Usually 3 or 4 people in the boat, there's a 600lb bag (claimed max capacity, probably only 300 IMO) under the rear seat in front of the motor too. Don't tend to use it our boat is heavy enough to throw a great wake without it.

Power trim was blown up when we got it, still hasn't been fixed... so we don't trim up.
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-04-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
ahh ok guys this sure is helpin a lot! im goin up this weekend to see specs on boat(my dad is ocd so i have to measure and make sure it will fit in certain spots) lol. but i ppreciate the help!