Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (mmr1779)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-10-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
Looking at installing a new system in our new boat (07 Centurion Enzo). We are debating between Wet Sound Pro 80's or Bullet Hollow Point 770's (2 of each) We are looking for loud, but sound quality over loudness. We want the speakers to produce the full range and something that is not just "tinny." Any suggestions or input is appreciated.
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-10-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
wet sounds pro 485 or
a set of pro 80's and mb-8's
also depends on the enclosure type you prefer
wets sounds plastic bullet metal
I prefer the wet sounds for sound quality and they're damn load
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-10-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
It's going to come down to preference. I personally like the bullet design and the chrome look, but it's probably not for everyone. Sound wise is purely subjective and while I've heard both, the Bullets tend to have a bit more mid base than the Wet Sounds. Again just a personal observation nothing scientific, but I suppose w/ a killer sub setup you could overcome that part. Horn speakers just aren't as full sounding as conventional speakers imho just loud and focused "beam" of sound.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-10-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
Maureen - Both are excellent speakers. This topic has been discussed many times and it always comes down to personal preference. I can give my opinion on the sound but it is going to be up to you. I'm a dealer for both and I would be happy to have either one. I think the general feedback that I get is that the 770s have a bit more midrange / midbass and the Pro80s have more treble. I have a set of 770s on an X-star in the shop now if you are near by and want to take a listen. Cosmetics and materials of the housings are more personal preference. Again, both are excellent products and you will be happy either way you go. Remember, I give WW discounts. Call me if you want some more info or think you can make it down in the next couple days.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-10-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
If you are looking for more headroom the go with bullets. Sound quality, build, and "width" of projection favor the wetsounds thus far...midbass is the same imho and I have heard both side by side.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-10-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
Ewing (johnsvt)

You crack me up! ROFL
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-10-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
worried about midbass add this.

http://wavescaraudio.com/
Old     (mmr1779)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-10-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
Then maybe horn type speakers are not what we are looking for. I want something loud like the pro-80’s but produce a full range (rich in sound). Are we headed in the wrong direction? Any other suggestions?
Old     (sigmodes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
I own a shop in WA we carry a few different tower speakers. I have reps that bring me stuff all the time to look at and play with. The NW rep for Bullet brought by a set of 6” Bullets. This is what I think of Bullet, they have great mid-bass-the off axis is poor-overall clarity not great-construction could be a lot better for the price. If you take apart a Bullet tower you well find that the cross over is held in with expanding foam (like from Lowes). As it gets to be 100+ the foam well get brittle and fall apart. As a result the cross over well just be flopping around inside which could short out and blow the speaker maybe even your amp. WS has spent the time on the engineering side of their product and offer a well rounded speaker. It has great mid bass/clarity, off axis is good, construction/versatility is great as well.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-10-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Glad to help stewart.

The bullets are good...just need a little more work...the cans are well built though<---not sure who made them but the guy is good.

Off axis is the word I was looking vs. width..

(Message edited by johnsvt on June 10, 2008)
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
I assume you are looking for something that the rider can hear? I'll throw out another recommendation for the Pro-80s. I have two on my boat and only have 150W going to each one and it is very clear back to the rider. The riders love being able to pick songs out for their run and jam while they are surfing. It is also fun to play lame songs to punish someone who can't land a trick.

If your goal is only good full-range in-boat sound, I don't recommend Pro-80s or Bullets. I have my tower speakers on separate volume control because they are way too loud to listen to when anyone is on the sun deck. You literally can't talk to the person sitting next to you if you are on the back of the boat. So, if in-boat sound is what you are looking for, use car audio type speakers in cans.

I usually only crank up the tower speakers while we are riding and use the in-boat speakers/sub while we are chilling.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-10-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
MMR1779,

You'll really need to listen to them all and decide for yourself. I don't care for the horn type systems just lacks the sound definition of the conventional speakers, granted they are louder but at the cost of audio quality. Just my opinion, but testing for yourself will only answer which system is best for you.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-10-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
M-Dude,

I think once you listen to my 770's in the boat, not the showroom, you will change your mind. I don't even run the interior speakers anymore..... Ask 68Slalom or Polock.

When you heading down to the Delta? :-)
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-10-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
wetsounds hands down IMPO. i like the 3some but a pair of pro80s would rock 4sure.
Old     (mmr1779)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-10-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
We are having the 770's installed and we check them out Thursday. If they don't sound good, going with the Pro-80's. See you at the Delta this weekend. Thanks for all the input!
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-16-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Maureen - Any feedback?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-16-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
I dig the looks of the 770s I've always been a fan of the can look. I've herd both set ups and they sound very similar.

Bens work is top notch and I recommend him to anyone in the sac/bay area. Ayone that is considering a boat set up should definitley give him a call.
Old     (blwakeguy)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
so which speakers did you go with? the 770's look similar to alot of other reputable companies out there. i think i have seen the same cans on ebay.
Old     (mmr1779)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
I went with the 770's. Buddy of mine has the Pro-80's. Hooked up with him last weekend and the sound was comparable. . . LOUD. Got alot of compliaments. Can't go wrong either way.
Old     (blwakeguy)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
SOME PICTURES OF THE INSTALL?