Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    maulzar            07-15-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
Hello, I am about to get a tower for my 1998 Supra Comp 20 foot ski boat and I need some advice. I want a tower but I dont want to break the bank. Due to this, I have come down to two towers that I am thinking of getting. First off we have the Monster Tower http://www.monstertower.com/
Who has one? How do you like it? What is bad about it? Any thoughts at all are appreciated.
Secondly we have the Big Air Pylon Big Air H2O Tower
http://www.bigairpylons.com/Tower.htm
Who has one? How do you like it? What is bad about it? Any thoughts at all are appreciated.
Ok everyone gimmie your experiences with these towers, I'm gonna base my decision 90% on what you say here. Thanks a bunch
-Martin
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-15-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
Martin,
I did the same research you are doing. ANd I came down to those same two. Even though I did not get either one, here is my 2 cents worth.
I think the Monster tower is the better of the two. It is sturdy, and simple. The way the H2o tower assembles is not as solid. I was going to get the h2o tower simple for the reason I liked the looks better. The reason I did not get either was, I found a guy that builds things for off shore boats out of aluminum. He built me a tower to my specs, and design. It cost a little more than thoses two towers, but it is what I want. If you like both designs, I would go with the Monster Tower.
Old    maulzar            07-15-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
Thanks, anyone else?
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
Pictures of the Monster Tower don't do it justice. Up close, it is a beefy tower that is really sharp looking. I was on a boat with one recently and was very impressed with the fit, finish, and strength of the tower. Plus, everyone that buys one says customer service is the best.
Old    zboomer            07-15-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
I saw a Monster Tower on an older Supra at the lake this weekend. First time I saw one, and it looked awesome. So good I noticed it, and I don't really go around intentionally looking at towers!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-15-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
I was very hesitant to put a tower on my boat because I hated the way most towers looked including most Monster Towers I saw on other boats and in pictures. I just installed my Monster Tower and I think it looks great. It works great too especially the quick disconnect board racks. Go to this site and click on Correct Craft on the side:

http://www.monstertower.com/customerphotos/index.htm

My boat is the one on the top. It looks even better in the water.

The look for whatever tower you get depends a great deal on the mounting location. If your boat has a black frame windshield I would go with a black tower and mount the front poles just behind the base of the windshield. This produces more fluid lines in contrast to mounting it in front of the windshield which produces the "roll bar" look.
Old    walt            07-15-2004, 7:54 PM Reply   
I have a Monster Tower on my boat and only have good things to say about it. It's a great tower and the customer service is #1
the big air tower looks a little cheesy to Me.
If You go to bluewater on the MT site My boat is on the top of the page.

(Message edited by walt on July 15, 2004)
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-15-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
I bought the older style tower from BigAirPylons for my boat. While it did work, i was less than impressed. The whole setup was not very rigid, the powdercoat started chipping and flaking within 2 years, and, if I had to do it now, I would probably get the Monster tower. That said, I dont know what their new design rides like. I know they improved rigidity, and made better boat mounts for the tower.
Good luck, hope the info helps.... send pics when you decide and install whichever one!!!
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
Another vote here for Monster. Great product, great service, great value. Very happy customer!

My tomer is black powder coated on my 1992 Malibu sunsetter (black window frame) and it looks very OEM. My boat is also pictured on the MT customer boats page...
Old     (mosdefn14)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-18-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
i have the big air h2o on my boat. while it looks better than the monster...it creaks...ALOT...im scared to have people sit in the backseat when im pulling people up over 180 or so pounds
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-18-2004, 5:14 PM Reply   
My friend has a monster on his bayliner. It's very solid and looks great. THe monster has a 5 year warranty I noticed. 5 is better than 1.

I also would be careful about basing 90% of your decision on what you see here. We are mostly smart, intelligent and reliable here, but some of us are definitely FOS.
Old    grampawakerider            07-18-2004, 7:33 PM Reply   
I say Monster Tower also. I have one on my Bayliner. Solid as a rock. Also have the racks and the custom bimini. ALso pics posted on the MT website. When I drive home from the lake and stop for some food somewhere, there is always someone checking out my tower and asks me questions about it. Especialy good for me because I have to fold the tower down to park my boat.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-18-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
Monster,nuff said......
Old     (tigebob)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-18-2004, 10:56 PM Reply   
I installed a monster tower on my 97 tige last year and it is a very solid tower, i have a friend who got the big air tower and he has had nothing but problems with it, they arent built as solid as the monster tower is. And u cant beat the price
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-19-2004, 1:36 PM Reply   
in installed a bigair tower on my biddies boat, and a monster tower on mine... (we both have the same boat but different colors!) I like the monster tower better. I think it looks better, but even more important than that, it folds down and i can fit my origional cover over top of it!!

Monstertower = solid as a rock

bigair = makes a lot of noise while driving...

Old    ilovetrains            07-19-2004, 7:23 PM Reply   
Go with the Monstertower, you will not be sorry. Mine looks great (look at pic in my profile) and is really solid.
Old    jphillips            08-01-2004, 8:55 AM Reply   
I have a monster tower. Solid, quite, packs down nice and small under my existing cover. Never seen customer service as good as Monster Tower.
Old     (wetirish)      Join Date: May 2003       08-02-2004, 3:44 PM Reply   
I installed a Big Air tower earlier this year and so far it works real well strong and solid! I have pulled all types of boarders with the tower. I went with this tower due to the fact that it looks more streamlined then the Monster on a 98 Calabria. Folding down the tower takes some time and a little more time for the install then stated. So far a happy Big Air owner!
Old    ilovetrains            08-05-2004, 11:14 AM Reply   
what did you decide?
Old    marshaq            08-05-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
sack up a few more dollars and get the wake design monsoon...looks a lot better....

boat picture
Old    bigdeal            08-06-2004, 5:28 PM Reply   
Mark me down for a Monster vote too!
1998 Moomba Outback
Old    absolutofft            08-06-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
Marshall that wake designs tower looks sweet, how much did it cost? Also am I the only person who thinks the monster tower looks ugly?
Old    marshaq            08-10-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
It cost 1800 or so from wakeside...when you add the 10 percent bonus points for the order, I got a new vest and most of a rope for free.

They don't seem to be selling the wake design anymore however....you might have to go straight to wakedesign and they are a bit of a pain in the ass.

I do agree the monster is just too massive looking for me....
Old     (pinkbike)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-10-2004, 2:16 PM Reply   
I dont really like the look of the monster either, it just looks big.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-14-2004, 7:52 PM Reply   
That would be "it just looks Phatter"