Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-20-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Hey guys went out on sunday and tested my avalanche. We had some issues filling the sacs all the way. I kept getting air in them. So I am putting one way valves on the vent lines, so when they empty they prune up the sacs. I also noticed that the avalanche is very very sensitive to weight. It was amazing to see how much moving a skinny chick did to the wave. The dual pumps for empting and filling rocked! Took about 7 minutes to fill and drain! Here is my setup

Center stock ballast full(500). Port or starboard custom enzo avalanche sacs full(1400). At least mostly, I'm guessing I can squeeze more weight 100 out. 5 people on board with one surfing. The four poeple avaraged 450 pounds. The trim tab was all the way up for regular surfing and all the way down for goofy surfing. The water was choppy from a constant 7-10 mph wind, so I would put water conditions at a 5-6. Speed was 10-10.8 depending on what we were trying.

Here are the pics. I think we still need to dial it in. But overall I am very happy. The wave was nice and rideable. I thought it was big and long. No airs yet, the water was 39 and my drysuit is way way way to tight. My boat has ultra low emissions, and I never once smelled or felt the effects of exhaust. It was a very nice perk that I didn't think about.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-20-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
Looks great! You earned it. Let us know how the vent valves work. How much trim tab did you use on the goofy side 100% or something less.

Are you using the Johnson aerator pumps for the drain lines or something else?

Also did you use a valve to keep the water from sloshing back out the drain lines when surfing?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Nice Goofy wave! We have been surfing goofy on the port side. I can't wait to try the starboard side. The Avy def. puts out the best goofy wave I have seen. You are right, we usually have a small kid we like to move around the boat (60lbs)and yes it makes a big difference.I am pulling my boat out of storage tomorrow, should be surfing by the end of the week. Thanks for the great pics. I will post my goofy wave as asap.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
yo whats up packrat???
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-20-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
Lets get that Enzzzzoooo out!!!(sorry D for the hi-jack)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-20-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
100% of the trim tab. But it was pretty clean without it. I couldn't tell a difference in height. The second set the regular wave was much better, but no one took pics. I actually noticed the bilge going, so we stopped and found that the center ballast tank drain hose had fallen off. So we re-attached and filled it for the goofy set and it really helped!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-20-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Nice boat Duffy! Your wave looks really long and clean. I rode Sunday too, for the first time this year. Nikki rode with me, he and his Dad took some pics. Maybe he will post some of them. We had 50 degree water at Black Canyon. We were the only riders on the lake. Nick is an awesome rider! I have lots to work on this summer after watching him surf. I rode his Triple X surfboard and loved it. I can't wait to surf again.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-20-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
Nice. The Avy really is spectacular.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-20-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
Congrats! Avy's throw some of the nicest waves for sure.
Old     (sixx352)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-21-2009, 5:50 AM Reply   
Hey Duff that looks awesome nicely done! I want to know when I can head up their and ride behind that tsunami!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-21-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
Nikki,
You can come and ride anytime.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-24-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
So I think I have a little of a secondary lip, I think it's from the swim step, but does anyone know why they form? Especially on the regular side. Here is a better pictureUpload
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       04-24-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
teak is not cheap, those deck cost $600 or so from a dealer. I would build some plywood test pieces first. My guess, build it so it touches as little water as posable, maybe take some picture of the deck in the water while surfing from different angles to give you a visual guide to how much step is interfering, because most of the deck is out of the water.

im going be in bozeman this summer 700 miles from our boat, i'd love to make trip out to ID to help you out and get a couple sets in. im pretty handy around boats too.

david
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-26-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
Get behind your boat on a surf board. Look at the swim platform. Is it in the water?
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-26-2009, 9:36 PM Reply   
Good to see you got behind a sick boat Duffy. Tjat wave is definitely something to take pictures of.

You're a couple of steps ahead of me in the search for a new boat. Hopefully I'll have some new pictures to post in the coming months.

Don't fall in though, hey. Those water temps are brutal on the face!

(Message edited by taft on April 26, 2009)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-27-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
David, anytime your in my area you can get some sets! I did cut the teak deck down and the wave is so clean and large. I actually put some one way valves on the vent lines and empty lines and the sac fills to bursting point and the sac doesn't slowly drain anymore. So the wave was larger and cleaner then last time, and I didn't notice the secondary lip as much. The water was so cold!
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-28-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
I'm going to try my hardest to one-up your wave this Saturday, Duff...
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-28-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
Oh yeah how are you going to do that:-) Make sure to take pics! Hopefully the weather is nice in north idaho and I will go out on saturday and sunday. I'm addicted to this site.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-28-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
That is one fine wake there. Nice job.
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-28-2009, 11:05 PM Reply   
dude that wave looks so fun. i might have to hit you up if im ever out your way!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-29-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
Hells yeah dude anytime. I live in North Idaho, so whenever your close!