Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-08-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
Hey Everyone.

I'm doing the winterization this weekend and waffling about v-drive oil. I know to put SAE-30 non detergent.

What brand do you all use? Do you use Full-syn or natural oil?

I'm debating between Penzoil SAE-30 non detergent
and
royal Purple SAE-30

recommendations?
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-08-2012, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Matty_D View Post
Hey Everyone.

I'm doing the winterization this weekend and waffling about v-drive oil. I know to put SAE-30 non detergent.

What brand do you all use? Do you use Full-syn or natural oil?

I'm debating between Penzoil SAE-30 non detergent
and
royal Purple SAE-30

recommendations?
I should probably say it's a Walter rv-26d
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-08-2012, 11:10 AM Reply   
I use synthetic everythign in my boat except V drive oil. I used Penzoil, its been in there a while and looks like I just poored it out of the carton.
Old     (wdr)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-08-2012, 2:53 PM Reply   
I've used both in one of my old Walters and couldnt tell the difference at the service intervals. Save the money and buy non-syn in bulk and change as required. That way you dont have a reason to try and extend the service limit because of the cost!
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       11-08-2012, 3:35 PM Reply   
The v-drive is about a simple as gear set can get: Regular oil.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-08-2012, 5:26 PM Reply   
I see no advantage to synthetic for this application, if serviced regularly.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-09-2012, 11:46 AM Reply   
Based on a discussion with a tech I had a few years ago while I was working for Chevron, synthetic primarily offers a thermal advantage. On boats that have the benefit of an unlimited cooling capacity there is no major benefit running synthetic oil in motors or gearboxes. This opinion is also shared by PCM.

I recently put Mobil 1 in my truck after I saw the motor temp rise when I load up the supercharger boost.