Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-01-2010, 10:57 PM Reply   
Looking to add some tower speakers and I don't think the 80's will fit with my Bimini. How much difference is there between the 80's and 60's? Should I modify my bimini and go with the 80's or just get the 60's?
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
The 80's have a hang height of 13" and 60's have a hang height of 11.5". You should also take a look at the Exile XM7's (exileaudio.com/marine), they have a hang height of 10.25". IMO the XM7's sound just as good to the rider as do the 80's but give you a much better in the boat sound. Plus they have some pretty cool features with there quick disconnect system and ability to rotate 360 degrees.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-02-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
AJ,

I saw your pic on Tigeowners and looks like you have plenty of room for the PRO 80's. I recommend going with the PRO 80's. Going with the PRO 80's gives you a TRUE 8 inch driver versus a 6.5 inch driver in the PRO 60's or a 6.5 inch driver found in the XM7's as nate is referring to. The larger cone area and larger housing displacement in the 80 gives you MORE volume than a 6.5 inch. The PRO 80's also ship with the TC2 quick disconnect 360 degree swivel clamp as well.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-02-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
How much are XM7s running and do they have the quick disconnect for the illusion tower?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
I know Brian owned a Bu at one time. I would shoot him an email he is alot like Tim just a good guy and willing to help.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-02-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
AJ,

Every manufacturer is going to tout their own wares and I would be disappointed if they didn't do it as well as Tim does. The OP question was about WetSounds specifically but since another product brand was introduced, let me give you an independent viewpoint.

It would be a valid debate between the WetSounds Pro60 and the Exile XM-7. But you can't realistically compare the output of a 6 1/2" to an 8" as the greater surface area will deliver decidedly more output, regardless of the brand.

So if you plan on running a single pair then do everything you can to facilitate a pair of properly powered Pro80s and you'll be satisfied long term.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Chris -
The XM7's are $850. Yes the have the quick disconnect for the Illusion tower. You just remove the 1 allen head and you are done, no wires to disconnect. There clamps come apart and connect to the factory location on the tower. There is a video in there media section that shows them being installed on an illusion tower. You should go check it out.

David -
If i went into your store, listened to the different HLCD's that you offer and said that the XM7's sound better then the pro80's. Are you going to tell me that I'm being unrealistic? Just because there is a greater surface area doesn't mean that it is going to sound better.

I introduced the Exile's on here because he is obviously worried about the height of the speakers with regards to his bimini. The XM7's give him more clearance then either of the wetsounds.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-02-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
In the interest in keeping things positive in our world of wake, I'll chime in and say, if you have the room up on the tower, step up to that WS80 as Tim outlined. The Xm7 is designed for a smaller pod / mount application. You'll see bigger pods from us down the road.

Keeping on point with the OP's question about WS, my advice would be - listen to the pro80 and 60 and experience the difference in output. Combined that with the fit factor and you will be able to make an informed choice which model is best for you.

Cheers,

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
I went with the XM7's love the quick connect function check out the video on the site. Very well thought out.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-02-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
Try again to read exactly what I wrote.

In fact, we do have all the WetSounds and Exile XM-7 on display and ready for all to audition.

And for clarification, the Exile XM-7s sound awesome. They live up to everything that they represent them to be. Plus, the Exile mounts and disconnects are really impressive. Its all good.

But I wasn't referring to the subjective sound quality side since we allow our customers to make their own assessment. On that subject, I respect Nate's opinion. I was strictly commenting on the 'output'. With a larger surface area and larger pod displacement, the Pro80 simply has more output. Whether judging by ear or measuring with an S.P.L. meter the fact is undeniable. Even Brain with Exile would concede this.

It's an important distinction for someone running only one pair of tower speakers. With two pair of tower speakers I would probably minimize the difference in output.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
You have an interesting way of showing that you respect my opinion...saying things like its implausible to compare or you can't realistically compare pretty much every time i say that the XM7s sound better then the pro80s. But I am going to PM you instead of talking about it on here...
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-02-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies that were actually about my question. It turns out that I have plenty of room for whatever I choose. Now I just have to make up my mind.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
good job keeping it civil :P
Old                02-02-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
Go with the 80's...

I started with the Double Up package and then wanted more so I changed out to 4 pro 80's.

I don't think I could ever go back to the Pro 60.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-02-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
I have 4 pro 80's running on an alpine pdx150x4 and it is unreal. The 80's now have two summers of use and have held up great. I would go 80's over 60's if you do have the room. They are incredible.
Old     (britshorty)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-02-2010, 10:40 PM Reply   
As a pretty tall person with a VLX with the Illusion X tower I really value any head room that I can get. I want to be able to hear my music clearly behind the boat, how much will using the pro 60s or xm7s instead of the larger 80s affect the amount I can hear over engine/water noises.

We currently only have some Titan Alphas which don't project noise any further than the swim step really. I want to make sure the investment will pay off, I'm not looking to fill a cove with music, just hear it out back while wakeboarding at a decent volume...
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-03-2010, 6:20 AM Reply   
Wow, there are only 6 posts that have anything to do with my original question.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-03-2010, 6:51 AM Reply   
AJ, Your bimini fits over/on top of your tower. The speakers will hang below the bimini. You should not have to modify anything.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-03-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
Hey britshorty, I just replaced my Titan Alphas with the Bullet Hollowpoint 770s and they actually sit tighter up to the illusion x tower than the alphas did. Those alphas are pretty freakin' big cans, really.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-03-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
Matthew,
I am over 6' tall and the XM7's in the stock locations have never been a problem on our VLX. My buddy has those Alphas on his VTX and every time I ride with him I seem to crack my head on those damn speakers.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-03-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
AJ, Just search "thesack" you will see that he is on every thread in the past several months that includes the word Wetsounds. He just promotes here on wakeworld for Exile. At this point probably doing more damage for Exile than good, so you should discount his biased input. I think Tim from Wetsounds ran over his dog or something???

Back on point. I have Pro-485s and my bimini pushes right up against them. The rear bow is actually about 1" above the bottom of the speakers even after I realigned the bimini to lower it an inch or so. The nice thing about the wetsounds cans is that they have all rounded corners so when somebody bumps their head on them it doesn't hurt. My previous speaker cans were metal and hurt whenever you bumped your head on them. If you can fit them, my opinion would be the to go with the Pro 80's if you can.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-03-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
"Wow, there are only 6 posts that have anything to do with my original question."

ajholt7,

This is an open forum. If you really wanted that question answered without other peoples opinions, then just call Tim at WS. Everybody knows that guy is super helpful, and can guide you with your purchase. And that way you won't be bothered with biased opinions.

Otherwise, don't get offended that people will recommend what they like and have experience with.

They are sincerely trying to help you out.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-03-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Why would AJ need to search me? I provided him with the information he requested. Also gave him another option since his concerned seemed to be about the clearance height with regards to his bimini.

I have no disrespect for Tim or Wetsounds. He makes a great product and is extremely helpful to his customers and potential customers. I've owned his product (pro80s) and the sounded great and were very loud.

I made a decision to change from wetsounds to exile because in my opinion they sounded better. Since the first HLCDs I've owned were pro80s I have to make my comparision to them. Just because I made a switch and say my opinion doesn't mean its unrealistic or thay it should be discounted. My opinion is mine and is valid. If you go listen to both and think one is better then the other I'm not going to try and discredit you. Instead I'm going to let you have your opinion.

Ok so I'm done responding in this thread.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-03-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
i had cocoa puffs for breakfast
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-03-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
David "pootie tang"

my bimini does not fit over the top of my tower. I know where my Bimini is.

Lifetimewarranty

are you telling me this forum is not the place to ask questions, It is just a place to post and read spam?
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-03-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
It's not a place to ask questions if you are going to get offended when people take the question a different way. Like I said, everyone here seemed to be trying to give you some valid options.

You seemed to get a little bothered by the fact that they did that.

What I said was(to clarify), if all you want to know is whether or not WS 1 or WS 2 will work with your setup, ask WS, not WW. Cause, WW will give you alternate solutions.

In fact, guys here are great at offering alternate solutions. That is why I like this place.
Old     (carter13)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-03-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
I am not offended. I just thought it was funny how there were that many posts and only a few about original question.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-03-2010, 8:01 PM Reply   
aj,

I have another post that cannot tell you the difference in sound between the 60 or 80.
I can tell you that I have a pair of Pro 80's on my AVY powered by a SYN 2 and they crank.
I would try to make the 80's work if you can.
If you have any questions pm me here or over at Tigeowners.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-03-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
Yeah, Carter - if it was me, I'd just get the 80's. (probably why I went with the hollow point 770's vs the 650s)...

"make em fit!"

I did feel a little bad when my brother in law slammed his head against my 770's, but then again, it's just my brother in law!

Oh, and AJ - I thought that exile's response about clearance was super valid. Isn't that the issue???

I mean, seriously, WS is great, but not the only option.

I have had excellent dealings with bullet speakers
but many here have had excellent dealings with Tim from WS, ... just a different point of view.

and the reason I responded was that if all you wanted was WS info, talk to Tim. If you want a bunch of other info, then this is the place.

I, personally, love my hollow point 770's from bullet speakers. Best bang for the buck IMO

(and the bimini can work around it - since I am purchasing a new one this year...)

Just a side note... that boat I have listed in the for sale section has 4 10" NVS' each with HLCD's and quite frankly,,, that boat is the baddest setup you can get.(mastercraft X2) The sound is absolutely CRYSTAL CLEAR at 90 feet.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-03-2010, 9:10 PM Reply   
You should try the Beat Master 9.5" they rock and can fit in a 6" space and totally rock and fit under ever bimini from every boat manufacturer now and in the future and if anything else is ever made they are still the best and will always be better...LMFAO. F-ing Clowns!!!
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-03-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
The beat master sounds like the way to go. I think I will order 12 of them. LMAO. Seriously though, maybe I should start a thread that says "what do you have or what are you selling? Why is what you have better than everyone elses? Please answer these questions with an answer that has nothing to do with the original questions."