Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       12-29-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
Thinking about changing to a V-drive and from what I’ve read the Outback V is the least expensive new. Can you give me an idea of the wake with factory ballast? I’m a fan of the X1 and SAN210 wakes because of the nice kick at the top of the wake. Any chance the Outback is like that or is it more of a continues wake like the VLX?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-29-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
Have you checked out the all new Tige Z1 21' with 98" beam, low 40's for nicely optioned.

www.tige.com
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-29-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
cheap plug Mike!!

lol

While you're on the subject, Gary, we have a 2004 Maristar 210 in near perfect condition with zero hours on the engine. it's never touched water, it got misplaced in inventory at it's old dealership or else it would have been gone!! it is an X-10 hull, V-Drive, has a tower, and the whole bit!! PM me if you're interested, and I'll get you connected with the people that can get you a price!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-29-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
It would be if I was a dealer.

Seriously tho, just tossing out what looks like a nice price point boat that may be worth comparing to the Outback.

How does someone misplace a BOAT for 5 yrs
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-29-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
His name is DM, that's all I need to say, if I remember right you're from Houston, guess the rest, and guess the dealer that just got it!! The boat won't last long, in fact if I talk my dad into it, he's going to buy it, and leave it with me in College Station!!

I'm not a dealer either, so mine wasn't a cheap plug lol!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-29-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
Josh,

This is too funny, you're the 2nd person here today to think I'm from TX

Didn't say you were a dealer or that you made a cheap plug, sorry.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-29-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
Haha, I could have sworn you worked at TexasTige, don't know why!! And I wasn't bein defensive about a cheap plug, or being a dealer, just clearing it up!! I just love Mastercraft boats!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-29-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
I know its not near you but call up for fremont marine -- there number is at their site... I know they do moomba work and have some awesome deals right now... they should be able to help you out
fortfremontmarine.com
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-30-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
Gary,
I bought a Moomba LSV this year.. Looked at Outback V.. by the time you option up an Outback V with everything you want for wake, it is real close in price to LSV.. I wanted Grav III Ballast, wake plate, etc. The tower and ballast are options on V .. LSV comes standard with Grav I and Tower. From the Moomba board, there are plenty of folks who love their Outback V.. It is the same hull as the 04-05 LSV. It does not have quite as much freeboard as LSV but is a lot more hull that Outback DD...

Good luck
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       12-30-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info. The first challenge will be to sell my current boat. Not many people in the 21 foot DD market. A little frustrating starting over with a new boat because of the money gap but you can’t take the $$ with you when you’re gone, right! The boat I’d really like to get is the SAN210 but that’s off the chart. Next is a 2007 X1 that they still have at a local dealer but that’s still a big money gap from what my boat might sell for. I’ve noticed over the last few years at the LA Boat Show they’ll have an Outback V loaded for the price of the standard model which makes the switch between my old boat and a new one a lot less painful. That’s why I’m trying to find out what folks think of the Outback V wake.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-30-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
That is a clean looking Tige in your profile pic. You should get a good trade in on that or be able to sell it pretty quick.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       12-30-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
Thanks Aaron, nice looking Supra! I really like the hull color combination. The dealers around here seem to have plenty of used boat inventory and not willing to do much on a trade in. My experience has been you have better luck with a trade in when working a deal at the boat show. I think the boat manufacture is willing to help the local dealer with a sale during the boat show.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-30-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
The Outback V wake is def a good wake. You can get some great shape with a ton of kick to it. A neccessity would be a hydraulic wakeplate. Without it the boat would be a disaappointment. What you are going to find is that with the Moomba Outback V you are going to get a no frills boat with a great reliable powerplant and above average wake performance. What you are going to notice is that the seats inside the Outback V are very close to the ground. That there is not much cushion in the seats, and that there is relatively small freeboard for a boat in that class. You will need to add some weight to get the wakes kicking even above the factory upgrade. This is an older hull for Moomba and doesn't handle the rough water very well and the nose sits lower than other V-Drives in its class. The boat is a solid boat though that gets the job done.

I own an X1 (well older version) Spent a ton of time behind an Outback V ( older version LSV) It's wake does have a nice kick when weighted right and the wakeplate is set all the way up. By lowering the wake plate you can take that kick out and make it not so intimidating for beginners which is a nice feature. You won't be able to get near the size of an X1 or 210 when you start talking of adding 2-3000 lbs but it is still a respectable intermediate wake for sure that can easily get you inverted. I can throw everything I cxan behihnd my X1 behind my buddies Moomba Outback V and feel very comfy behind it, but I am far from a pro caliber rider. I have 5 inverts and that's about it. I can honestly say I was never disappointed behind his boat at anytime. He has it dialed for sure.

Like others have said though if I were looking at going new the new LSV is 10 times the better boat for the $$ then the Outback V if you can swing it and at shows you shouldn't be to far off what an Outback V is. I think the amount of performance and quality you get is way more of an upgrade than the price gap between the 2 boats. You may have to sacrifice some options on the LSV at first, but that would be well worth it in my eyes for the amount of boat and performance you get with the new LSV. Great hull, pro caliber wakes, and tons of room. A much better "quality" boat as well compared to the Outback V and blows it away ride and room wise.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       12-30-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
Swatguy very helpful info. I would agree about spending the extra money for the LSV with the increased features and comfort. Still have to get over that mental hurdle of not having a boat payment to starting over with payments!
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-30-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
2006 outback V, with gravity III balast full, I think it has a great wake

Upload
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       12-30-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
Ken the wake does look nice. What length rope do you ride at?
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-30-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
65 - 70'
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-30-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
If you get the Outback V (same hull as my LSV). Like everyone has said upgrade the rear ballast. I run the 400lb Fly High sacs in the rear and about 350-400lbs under the front seats with the factory bag in the locker. This puts out a nice steep wake. Wakeplate is a must for any boat IMO.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       12-31-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
Big E with ballast on board do you have much trouble with rollers coming over the side or bow? Waterski Mag has the ballast option as 1200 lbs, 400 front and 800 in the rear lockers, does that sound about right?
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       12-31-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
We have an '05 Mobius LSV, same boat as the current Outback LSV and our gravity III ballast system I believe is rated at 950 lbs total. 450 in the ski locker and 250 lbs on each side in the rear storage areas. Maybe they have upgraded the ballast for the new boats. Larger rear sacks will certainly fit in the rear lockers.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-31-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
Gary you wont have any problems at all with rollers coming over the side with my setup. Now you can take some over the bow if you dont know how to handle them. But for the most part no.

I might add i run this with up to 4 or 5 people on the boat, if you have 10 on board you might have a problem with the bow taking on water. But with that many people you wont need that much ballast weight either.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       12-31-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
Big E is that profile pic for real?? That wake is huge and the boarder is headed for the moon! Is that your LSV? What length rope are you riding at?