Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-22-2013, 3:21 PM Reply   
I've got a friend who is interested in buying his first inboard. Currently has an I/O but tried surfing this summer so now the I/O has to go

He's looking at this boat http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/boa/4044230023.html but I don't know much about this model. I've been in a 1999 22i and a 2004 24v and wasn't impressed with the 24v.

Also, does anyone know what the 'factory' ballast options were for this boat? The seller told him its a quad ballast setup with 2 in the rear and 2 in the bow. I'm assuming sacks, but not sure based on the ad. We're located a good 6 hours from the boat and I can't go with him to check it out due to my work schedule.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-22-2013, 3:29 PM Reply   
I am pretty sure there was no factory ballast option in 2003. That was when Tige was still trying to tell everybody that their boats didn't need ballast because of Taps. If you didn't like an 04 24V I am not sure you would like an 03 22v. They are basically the same boat(or very similar) other than the 22v is 2 feet shorter. I have always heard great things about the wakeboard and surf wakes of the 22v's though.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-22-2013, 3:34 PM Reply   
That's what I was thinking about the ballast too lol

Boat isn't for me, so I'm keeping my opinions to myself in regard to the 24v I rode behind and drove.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-22-2013, 3:51 PM Reply   
The 24v may not have been weighted properly. The 24v requires more ballast because of the extra length.The 22v could have aftermarket ballast as there is plenty of room for that.A demo would tell you all you need to know.When i sold my 2007 22VE it had just as many hours and i was glad the first person that looked at it wanted to demo with his family.The quad ballast is the most common on this boat.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-22-2013, 4:01 PM Reply   
Can you tell me more about the quad ballast? Assuming a sack in each rear locker then a small sack under each side bow cushion? Any idea with the weight is in a 'standard' quad ballast setup?

My friend is fairly new to boating and completely new to inboards...wish I were able to go with him to check it out.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-22-2013, 4:58 PM Reply   
Ballast was a factory option. if the boat is equipped with the factory ballast, its made up of 4 hard tanks for a total of about 900 Lbs. IMO, not having the factory ballast in that generation Tige is a plus, especially for those looking to surf.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-22-2013, 6:17 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info on the ballast! I'll pass that along.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-23-2013, 5:21 AM Reply   
I own a 22V and really like the wake behind it. It will not get pro-level big but the shape good from no weight to +2000 lbs. I bought mine 3.5 years ago for 24k with 280hrs.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-23-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
Maybe I am Captain Obvious, but maybe the owner of the boat has the answer you seek!! Call the add and ask him what the ballast is and how much. Then ask them if its factory or add on.

Like Mike said, many prefer that era boat without stock ballast as it makes it much easier to add your own stuff.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-23-2013, 6:03 PM Reply   
Boardman, If I were the one looking I would, but as stated earlier the boat isn't for me. I'm just trying to get some general info on this model to help a friend in his search. He's so new to inboards he's still kicking around the idea of a direct drive for surfing when all he wants is a good surf wave
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-23-2013, 6:10 PM Reply   
The hull design will dictate the quality of the surf wake, not the drive configuration. Ive seen sweet surf wakes out of DD's and some real crappy surf wakes out of V-drives. The 03 Tige V-drives are easy to weight and will make a good solid surf wake. If the boat is solid and the price is right, the tell him to go for it.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2013, 6:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskiprosx View Post
Boardman, If I were the one looking I would, but as stated earlier the boat isn't for me. I'm just trying to get some general info on this model to help a friend in his search. He's so new to inboards he's still kicking around the idea of a direct drive for surfing when all he wants is a good surf wave
If you feel so strongly that he should consider a Vdrive, maybe you should call and feed him a bit of info from the seller to make his decision easy. As a friend, thats what I would do

Yes, what everyone is saying, those boats make great surfwakes. A 2003 22v for 28 feels a little overpriced to me but it is a rareish color scheme being all red...

Last edited by wakebordr11; 09-23-2013 at 6:14 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-23-2013, 6:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
A 2003 22v for 28 feels a little overpriced to me but it is a rareish color scheme being all red...
Are you kidding??? That boat has a one of a kind subfoofer......Thats gotta be worth somtin!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2013, 7:01 PM Reply   
I also understand it cost 71 new, but I just can't justify the cost
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-23-2013, 7:09 PM Reply   
More like $50K new, but that has little bearing on today's used market value.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-23-2013, 7:50 PM Reply   
I think the price is solid. Not great but solid. Assuming your buddy could pick it up for closer to 25-26k it would be a good price. When I look at a 2003 22V and compare it to other boats in a similar price range(25-30k) I see a boat that would stand up pretty good to other's. What is there to compare to in that range? Early 2000's Xstars, SAN's, VLX's, X10's, X30's, Supra 22V, Supra 21V, Moomba Mobius LSV(probably the older ones), maybe moomba XLV, Sanger V215, Centurion Avalanche, etc...

I think it compares very well in a lot of aspects from what has been posted on wakeworld. I think the boat is probably right in line or just a slight step behind the Xstars, SAN's and VLX's of that era as far as wakeboard wake is concerned. Not that it matter that much though as it sounds like your buddy is a beginner boarder at best and more into a family boat he can surf behind. The boat will surf better than all boats mentioned except maybe the Avy or the V215 and even then I bet it is right on par. Just like the surf wake the boat will ride better in rough water than everything except the Avy and V215 and is probably right there as well. The boat will have as much if not more room/storage than all except the X30 and XLV. The boat already has a trim plate so adjusting the wake should be easy and it should be able to get on plan easy.

I know nothing about the build quality in particular but I can't imagine at worse it is just a step below the SAN, Xstar, Malibu and maybe Supra of that era.

Honestly, if it was me and I was in the situation of buying a wakebaording boat in the 25-30k a Tige 22V would be right at the top of my list and I would probably pick it over a similar year and condition SAN, Xstar, VLX, 22SSV, etc because of the combination of wakeboard wake, surf wake, rough water ride, interior room and storage. I would be fine with a slight step down in overall quality because of all those other positives.